What Did You Do Today???

RandyDSok

Rob ... you replied inside the quoted posts you selected... making it impossible to reply back to your post without manually making the quotes... don't reply inside the quote tags please....

Hey Randy, is that Meade 16" scope you have a Dobbsonian or a Schmitt Cassigrain?

Also, when you say re-mirror job, are you referring to a mirror replacement or is there a way to restore mirrors and lens coatings??

The 16" is the Meade DS-16 ... a quick google will link you to pics of several examples I'm sure. It's a Newtonian that came with a pier type equatorial mount.

To remirror a lens, they have to polish off the old coatings and completely apply a new one... The original coatings were of silver with an enhancement coating.

About your 6" Cassigrain, you said the drive clutch is slipping..

Is the drive for just moving the scope? You know without turning mechanical knobs...

It has a friction clutch that engages/disengages from the clock drive motor for viewing or taking pics. To move it manually, you disengage the clutch and then use the knobs to manually point the scope where you want it.

Rob Lancaster

I thought something was wrong when I sent it.. The text for one was deferent from usual. How the heck did I do that...

Ok, I'll try to clean up my ack over here and get those cool picture we took while at the Geminid shower of 2018 to you.
Thanks guys...…...

Rob Lancaster

Certainly ( and always ) a good suggestion ... I know I've seen others post pics without issues... but I've had problems even when I've resized them down also so now I just link the ones I post to those I've got hosted on my own website. So there is at least a problem with posting pics on either certain accounts or something.

Ok, I think I got this now..
Yup, downloading PhotoScape X turned the trick.. I reduced the size of the photo 75% and it works fine now...
While I was sorting out the photo problem, our flour and yeast came in soooo,,, it's pizza time! Brother Tom and I take pizza very, very seriously. We use imported flour from Naples for our dough and our sauce is a master peace.. Now load on your favorite toppings and slide that babee onto a 550 degree pizza stone...

Tom almost choked to death on a mushroom while inhaling his pizza. LOL! I thought I was going to need to employ the Heimlich maneuver before it was over.. Anyway the Haiku Pizza Joint is open for bid-ness, so come on in and stuff yourselves... :biggrin1:

Attachments

• IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 2

Rob Lancaster

Hi Randy, check these out.

The first photo is from the 2018 Geminid shower. Comet Wirtanen is circled in red at the top right of the photo..

#4648 is a fun one. The white horizontal line is an aircraft out over the ocean. That's how far it traveled in this 20 second exposure. And a nice Geminid coming in on the right...

Ort is the guy that took these incredible pictures two mile from Sandy beach on the south shore. Kapolei is were he lives on the other side of the island. Tom and I often meet up with the local chapter of our AMS Hawaii. A small group of like minded people that enjoys the action. Most of the time they want to know where we're going to be and they go were we're going. That's because I'm the meteorologist of the bunch. Usually we like the north shore or my favorite, the higher central part of the rock just a few miles from of Scofield Barracks, Wahiawa... If it's not clear there you're pretty much screwed...

The beach location was a first because of the weather situation that year. Can I let you guys in on a secrete? All beach locations are closed at night. That's because of all the meth junkies here. They'll beat, stab, or shoot you for a few bucks or less. But the central part of Oahu, outside of Wahiawa were all the pineapple fields and more are, are chained off. That means the punks in the high 4 WD trucks can't get in; but if one guy holds up the chain, A Honda slips right in. LOL! Nice and private and quiet… Well we do run into wild dogs and pigs at times, but with no injuries after I yell at them. Still a down side though, the palm sized spiders that number in the,,, oh jeezo man, I don't want to think about it now... More than once the next day I was driving when I look down at the passenger seat, and see a monster 8 legged creature creeping right toward me.

I think,, should I pull the yellow and black striped ejection handle between my legs or slam the brakes and bail out as soon as this thing stops? I opted for the latter. After I climbed the curb, the spider and I had it out! Oh it tried to hide but I coaxed it into the open passenger floor and squish! Ewe! But finished the job, whew!

Enjoy the picture show... Sometimes it can come at a price, LOL!

Oh hey, did anyone see the super moon? Last one for a while...……….

Attachments

• Comet 46P Wirtanen and Geminid meteor.jpg
    Comet 46P Wirtanen and Geminid meteor.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Geminid 2017 (1).jpg
    Geminid 2017 (1).jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Geminid 2017 (2).jpg
    Geminid 2017 (2).jpg
    637 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4320[1].jpg
    IMG_4320[1].jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4566[1].jpg
    IMG_4566[1].jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4648[1].jpg
    IMG_4648[1].jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5769[1].jpg
    IMG_5769[1].jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5826[1].jpg
    IMG_5826[1].jpg
    133 KB · Views: 5

RandyDSok

I'm sure the originals were spectacular and colorful..

Perfect quote and reply there by the way... :) . I was able to just click the reply button without having to manually make a quoted area as I was before on the last couple.

The original pic has much the same colors as the one above... the difference is more in how "pixelated" and dithered the nebula is... The original has a more typical nebulocity ( ie cloud like ) with some much lighter areas actually showing up. Color balance on nebula's is always a tricky subject. I believe the previous shot is close but still missing some of the yellows that I see in other photos. I know on my first decent camera ( non-dlsr ) a Olypmus C740, the Orion Nebula always came out with more reds and blues and didn't show much of the greens and yellows... Of course, viewing conditions can also filter different colors differently as well.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well original or not Randy...those picture are spectacular :). I thank you much for sharing and keep them coming. The wife and I enjoy them very much. The wife especially. She's into all that astronomy stuff :).

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sorry Rob :apologetic: Your pictures are awesome too :arms:They're all good compare to the camera I have. Thanks for sharing too Rob. We enjoy them :beerchug:

Rob Lancaster

Hi all..
Well the feral cat lovers that just throw cat food at several spots along my street aren't around because of the virus. But their handy work intrudes once again on our property. No problem,, I just bust out my trusty trap. From birds to mongooses, and the wild ass feral cats, this trap has paid for its self many times over.

Check out the mug of the latest intruder... She's a notched female and as pissed as Hillary on election night, LOL!! No trapping tonight, but I'll be back at it very soon. To me, it's just a game that I'm prepared to play.. I always win in the end, ha!....
Ok,, who what's manapua?..... LOL!.. :bellyroll:

Attachments

• Cat.JPG
    Cat.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 6

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yes those have-a-heart traps are awesome. Rob, you had the chance to catch a mongoose? too cool. You didn't keep him. I know down in the Caribbeans, they have them as pet to keep the poisonous snakes away from their homes.

Rob Lancaster

Hey D.O.G.!
Yup caught several. One was a red eyed.. But when their the slightest bit wild, they spit just like cats. And I don't want to get anywhere near these little mongrels'.. Had to shoot a couple because they were walking right in here.. I had one stock food on top of the top of the engine of the car. It also left piss and ka-ka, there to. Bang babee!.. They are cute as hell though, ha!

Top Bottom