250 Trex 250 pro DFC build

Graham Lawrie

Watched the video and preloaded looks the way to go:) but I can see how it would be easy to over load it. Like all these things a certain amount of capability and skills is assumed by the manufacturer.

Slobberdog

Yeah "G" he does say in the video you can go slightly past and back it up, but not to far or you will wreck the spacer.

It's really tight to crush the preload spacer so I see how it can be done wrong easily.

I bought 2 kits just in case, I knew he gave you enough for 2 goes in one kit but I like having spares.

Slobberdog

Not had the weather to get out, small hover in the house I had a binding that the heli did not like, could not feel it by hand so have to try kit again, just have it set up on original bearing for now, until I get a good bit of time to try it with peace and quiet.

Slobberdog

Well in the last few days it been a bit of a nightmare for me, wanted to get this little bird out for a fly and test the tail, but the weather was not good, and Wednesday evening I hurt my back AGAIN, twice in a fortnight, this time however was the day before me my wife and daughter was going a way for a couple of days,

Luckily my chiropractor seen my first thing Thursday morning and I was able to go away, could not walk very well but was walking, my wife had to do all the driving though, and while I was away I twisted my ankle and nearly broke it, bruised like hell, and that just added insult to injury, but got through the trip, enjoyed it even though I was in pain,

Today had a few mins to look at the bird as spent the full day in my garden recuperating, had a quick test hover with a bit of wind in the garden and the heli feels well locked in now, time will tell, but feels 100% better with the MKS tail servo compared to the Align one,

damhdearg

Get some rest and get better soon Kev. Believe it or not its been sunny up here! And Kinlochleven is one of the wettest places in Britain. Thats why they built a hydro dam up here lol. Good to hear the 250's going well.

Slobberdog

two more flights now in work, love the fact I can use this little bird by our factory, light wind and sunny and the bird flew flawlessly, a little tweak on the throttle curve in IU to give a bit more power, and this thing is now locked in, might try V5 on this over the weekend just to see how much more dynamic it will make it feel, as that's what I found on the 450, this at the moment floats around like my 500 think I might have it a bit to docile, but I like it, :arms::smile::arms:

Slobberdog

Put another two batteries through the girl on Saturday and another 4 tonight, and she has not missed a beat, Both days was simple sport flying and working on transitions to nose in side on etc,

on Sat it was calm as could be, today about 8-10mph wind tail felt solid and no issues full stop, the 3gx is behaving impeccably in this little bird and it's still on V3.1, I have dropped the expo down further now as well so I get more speed in movements and put the carbon blades back on for a bit more crispness to the cyclic,

in the gusty wind tonight collective management was a bit more tricky and you had to be quick with corrections or it will dip or climb blooming quick,

I am getting quite comfortable with it now and getting to grips with knowing how to correct the disc where ever the tail is pointing, so much easier to carry on my learning curve with this little bird than it would have been with my 130x,

Slobberdog

Well it's been a few weeks since I last flew this little bird, and man it felt really subdued, I have put a good number of packs through my 500 and the new feeling of that with the Ikon on it makes the 250 feel sluggish and wallowing,

I only put a battery though it in the garden to check the tail, but I was a little disappointed,

I spent a half hour before flying it changing out the tail blade grip bearings for the preload ones I bought from the states, and I managed to get it done right this time, took up a lot of the play in the grips but was super mindful not to go to far as I did last time, now I have the tail very smooth, and less play, bonus!

Took the heli in after the flight and hooked it up to the lappy, done some tweaking in the software and hopefully that will help this lethargic feeling the heli was giving me, I even went to my lowest expo setting of 15% and that still felt sluggish,

Don't know if I have been spoilt by the Ikon, or if it's just cos I have not flown this for a while, never mind I will see as I will stretch his legs tomorrow in work as weather is supposed to be pretty good,

Ad if that don't work I might have to get a kbar and decase it to fit in between my frames and see what that's like as I have heard good things on them.....

Slobberdog

Well I flew two packs through the girl today and she felt POO, next to no tail authority, it felt very rubbery and it had a mechanical wag now and again, with a little bounce and some kicks thrown in infrequently, tbh it felt like I had a $10 servo on there not a $100 servo,

Was very quick to blame the gyro but it felt good before I done the tail grip mods, so you guessed it off with the mods and back to stock, while I was at it, changed out the umbrella gears for new black items front and rear, OMG what a pain to get the tail box out to change a gear, a full hour and 15 mins and it was back together,

Thankfully it was nice and smooth after all the work, as I have read a few people running into sticky gearing after their swaps and I was hoping it was not gonna happen to me, and the black gears with a touch of grease were lovely and quiet as well,

Not able to get out with her tonight as my daughter had an early bath and was in her pj's so a quick hover in the living room, to see if I still had the symptoms that I had earlier, some quick tail inputs proved the responsiveness was back, it felt so much sharper, and zero mechanical wag, feels good for a fly tomorrow if the weather permits,

Keep you guys posted,

Slobberdog

Well just put a quick pack through the 250 in the garden, feels a lot better after taking the blade grips pre load mod off, and doing some settings changes, but I have had to drop the expo down to 5% for it to feel lively, so I still have a bit of cyclic dampening so I am going to remove that and try again.

Slobberdog

Yet another update,

Put a few more adjustments on, after I waited an eternity for my lappy to boot up, so need a new pc,

Took all the cyclic dampening off, then tried, and it feels direct again,

Added a tad more tail pre-compensation as I still had a bit of kick in the tail on collective movements, now kick is gone.

One complaint of the 250 is disc loading as the heli is a bit of a tubby fellow, needs to go on a diet, but to combat the slightly slow collective I added some collective acceleration, only a little to see how it would feel and it helps, now the question is, do I put mine on a diet, that would mean 3 new cyclic servos, out with the Aligns and in with Blade ds76's which are nearly half the weight, saving around 22 grams or about 7%.

But TBH I don't think I am good enough of a pilot to get the benefit, might just plod along,

murankar

Staff member
It's never a bad idea to lower the disk loading. I would look at motors, servos and escs and compare weight and see how much you can shave off . Lighter dusk loading means slightly longer flight times also.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

john60

if there is anyone out there that has the patients to help a newbie im building a trex 250 pro with align 3gx but dont know how to program the 3gx. idk what the 3gx is set up with so wanting to update the 3gx to the 5.0. i must apologize im not computer smart so takes me a few to understand.so is there anyone who could help me set up my 250pro and 3gx?

Tony

Staff member
What issue are you having? If it's with a popup on the computer, I have had that before and if you plug the 3GX into the computer it 'should' connect up.

Kronchy

Hello i just finished my built...i will help if you need.it.still...contact me anytime

- - - Updated - - -

awesome fleet. Kev

Top Bottom