250 Trex 250 pro DFC build

xokia

I'd recommend tossing the align esc in the trash. Pick up a talon 15 instead. The align is a linear BEC and browns out easily. I'd also recommend selling the ds415 servos and pick up some tgy-306hV servos. WAY better servos!!!

I had a horrible time with the align tail servo it wouldn't hold the tail for squat. It would either wag or blow out. My understanding is you need to get the preload correct on the tail box bearing to resolves. Or you can by the mks95i tail servo. Good luck I hope you have better success then I did.

Slobberdog

I'd recommend tossing the align esc in the trash. Pick up a talon 15 instead. The align is a linear BEC and browns out easily. I'd also recommend selling the ds415 servos and pick up some tgy-306hV servos. WAY better servos!!!

I had a horrible time with the align tail servo it wouldn't hold the tail for squat. It would either wag or blow out. My understanding is you need to get the preload correct on the tail box bearing to resolves. Or you can by the mks95i tail servo. Good luck I hope you have better success then I did.

Thanks Xokia, hoping that this setup will be ok for now not gonna tax the servos to much but I'm not a fan of the DS425 tail servo on this thing either, have had bad experience with them in the past, thanks for the info on the MKS that will be very helpful, as will the Talon if I do have an issue with the ESC, only flying circuits etc at the moment so hoping it wont cause me any issues, been running 415's on my 450 and not had an issue with them.

xokia

Let me try giving a bit more explanation. The BEC in that ESC is horrible. Maybe I just got unlucky and got a bad one. But for me it's not worth the risk of a brown out in flight when repairs for that 250 are equal to repairs for a 450.

The DS415s develop a LOT of slop. I was suggesting to sell them why they are still in new condition. I was resistant to get rid of my 415s on my 450. After finally doing so I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. The tgy306 servos truly are fantastic servos. On the 415s every crash resulted in a stripped gear and I had to replace $17 worth of gears to fix it. After 1-2 crashes the servos burn themselves out.

The tgy306 servos are imitation mks servos and its one thing HK actually got right. They don't develop slop. I've crashed my 450 inverted into the ground and the servo was still good. Gear replacements cost $8 I've never had to replace gears yet.

Anyway I understand if you just wanna fly it the way it is. Best of luck to you I really like the idea of a 250 sized heli. I wish mine would have flown right. I hope you have better luck then I did.

Slobberdog

Will keep that in mind xokia,

On another note the Zippy compact batteries I ordered on Friday from HK euro warehouse turned up this morning, another good turnaround:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

xokia

I look forward to see what you think of it once you get it in the air
thumbup.gif

Slobberdog

Well it's been a good night, flew in the hall to do a bit of setup and tbh I need not have bothered, I had my laptop and was ready to assault the 3gx with many different setups to see what I could get going, I put some time in looking around trying to find what others had done and then adjusted mine before hand.

Well I went through 3 batteries in the hall just getting used to the bird, and trying the different blades, first I tried the carbons that came with the kit, nice and crisp feel and quite stable with them,

Second battery brought a heart stopping moment, I missed a bolt with thread lock, well not a bolt but a ball, and guess what, it came undone, cue constant piro, well instead of panicking I kept my nerves and because I was at a hover when the last thread came undone, I just eased the power off and landed, the ball I missed was the tail control arm ball, well done that up and the rest of the battery was un eventful,

The third battery is when I done my video which I will post in the video section, would have done flight one but the phone was on my laptop charging,

Battery four I flew outside and tbh that was quite un eventful.

All in all it was a great night of flying the bird is really stable, people say the 250 is a twitchy bird but this 250 DFC feels really great, not good for the beginner I don't think but I am not an accomplished pilot by far but I think me and this little bird is going to get on well, I hope.......

Video uploading now, oh btw I am not standing by the camera I am in the corner of the room and at no point did the heli come close to me,

damhdearg

Glad you had a good few flights kev, ive always been tempted to get a 250, seems such a convenient size but without so much of the micro (i.e 150, 130) faffery lol. Look forward to your overall review.

Slobberdog

Yeah will be putting one together soon, have a couple of tweaks to do, then I am gonna live with it for a flew flights before I give a review as it can then be done without the new bird bias I have at the moment.

Defo less faff than the 130x, but the bits are still small, and it's a tight fit for the electrics, but it has such a more well built feel than my 130x, but you can take it anywhere and chuck it in the air, and with batteries at just £4 each it's quite cheap to fly for a while,

Slobberdog

Well just put a couple more packs through her, and she flys pretty much like my 450 but she is quick, only quirk at the moment is the rudder gain, think I will need a few more batteries to get that perfect, as at the moment it has a little bit of movement while tail into the wind, but if I increase it to far I get a bit of wag on abrupt stopping of a fast piro, as I say needs a bit more testing

All that said she flys very well, am pleased so far,

xokia

only quirk at the moment is the rudder gain, think I will need a few more batteries to get that perfect, as at the moment it has a little bit of movement while tail into the wind, but if I increase it to far I get a bit of wag on abrupt stopping of a fast piro,
Same problem I had tail wouldn't hold for squat if you put it under any kind of stress. mks 95 tail servo is supposed to solve that. The other thing is someone sells a compression shim that preloads the tail bearings that also improve the tail response.

Slobberdog

Same problem I had tail wouldn't hold for squat if you put it under any kind of stress. mks 95 tail servo is supposed to solve that. The other thing is someone sells a compression shim that preloads the tail bearings that also improve the tail response.

Don't get me wrong it holds the tail but it don't inspire lots of confidence in it,

Have been doing a bit of reading and some people say like yourself that the bec ain't that good and can not quite supply the needed voltage to all the servos, and I am running V3.1 on my 3Gx which is a little power hungry,

So I have done as you suggested and ordered me a Talon 15, do I need the programmer lead to start with as have to wait to get the code when the esc arrives.

Hopefully that will give a bit more juice to the servos and help that tail a bit.

Tony

Staff member
Great looking Kit Kev!!! I have wanted one of these for a LONG time just for something small to toss in the air! And IMO, much better than the 150!

xokia

Don't get me wrong it holds the tail but it don't inspire lots of confidence in it,

Have been doing a bit of reading and some people say like yourself that the bec ain't that good and can not quite supply the needed voltage to all the servos, and I am running V3.1 on my 3Gx which is a little power hungry,

So I have done as you suggested and ordered me a Talon 15, do I need the programmer lead to start with as have to wait to get the code when the esc arrives.

Hopefully that will give a bit more juice to the servos and help that tail a bit.
I can give you a code now if you give me your code when you get yours. Just PM for the code if you want to.

So my understanding on the tail is that its a horrible design. If you pop the link off the servo and pull/push on it, its fairly stiff to get it to move. Now the reason for that from the research I have done is the bearings in the tail need to be preloaded correctly. There is a preload kit you can buy. This is supposed to improve the tail significantly. The other way to fix it is to use a servo that has a LOT of torque. That is why everyone uses the MKS95i tail servo in the 250. I got frustrated with it and gave up. The cost of crashes was just as high as a trex 450 and it took the same area to fly in as a 450. So even though I liked the heli I just couldn't justify it any longer. And for the sake of my sanity and not grabbing it by its tail and using it as a club I sold it. :) I hope you can get your flying well it is a nice heli.

TREX250 Tail analysis, spacer upgrade and Chinese weights

T250 Preload spacer assembly - YouTube

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Well it's been a hectic day but I got five mins to sit down and write this up,

I have now got 8 flights on this little bird,

4 on Wednesday night in the club,

Got out yesterday and flew 2 packs while I was waiting for my daughters bus from school, they were pretty un eventful as a rule, just a bit of fig 8's piro stall turns nose in hover etc, in a light wind of about 6-7 mph, wind was over my shoulder and this made the tail a bit twitchy, but it held, fast piro to a stop also sorted as I had a bit of wag and uneven piro rate, I had to adj tail rod length and reset limits, this sorted the uneven rate and a hand full of clicks down on the gain sorted the wag on abrupt stops,

Heli home in one piece, so a good day.

Got out this morning before I went out with the family, 10-11 mph winds with gusts and put another couple of packs through her, after speaking with one of the guys in the club, he recommended loosening the tail blades slightly, so I had to open the grips slightly as they were tight from the factory, but got that sorted, first flight was up and down in the end raised the gain on the rudder by a couple of points from Fridays and the tail held better in the wind and still good on the abrupt stops from quick piros, quite surprised how well it performed in the windy/gusty conditions,

With a bit of luck will get to put another 4 packs through her tomorrow night in our large hall,

Slobberdog

I can give you a code now if you give me your code when you get yours. Just PM for the code if you want to.

So my understanding on the tail is that its a horrible design. If you pop the link off the servo and pull/push on it, its fairly stiff to get it to move. Now the reason for that from the research I have done is the bearings in the tail need to be preloaded correctly. There is a preload kit you can buy. This is supposed to improve the tail significantly. The other way to fix it is to use a servo that has a LOT of torque. That is why everyone uses the MKS95i tail servo in the 250. I got frustrated with it and gave up. The cost of crashes was just as high as a trex 450 and it took the same area to fly in as a 450. So even though I liked the heli I just couldn't justify it any longer. And for the sake of my sanity and not grabbing it by its tail and using it as a club I sold it. :) I hope you can get your flying well it is a nice heli.

TREX250 Tail analysis, spacer upgrade and Chinese weights

T250 Preload spacer assembly - YouTube

I have ordered these just to tighten the looseness in the blade grips up, it's worth a punt, as not to bad on price,

xokia

Yea the talons are pretty small. Way better ESC though. If they ever update the 250 I might pick one up again. I've learned to buy the Align kits without electronics though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom