General SR120 questions??

gravybird

thanks Dodge. I believe maybe pushing the blade onto the shaft too hard would have been my problem. When I was flying, the heli would just intermittently spin in circles. After tony mentioned the motor, I checked it, and if I spun the tail rotor with my finger, it would not spin freely after my finger let off. I had a spare motor, so I replaced it, and it now spins freely, and flies as good as I can get it too:) Although the last time I flew it was the morning after a night where I spent 3+ hours in the mosh pit of a Static-X show, so my hand eye/thumb coordination was a bit out of whack:)))

Last edited:

gravybird

Another tail motor failure I had was a result from a ground bump, and it broke one of the wires right after the factory shrink wrap, no way for my sausage fingers to fix:)

gravybird

Yeah, Tony, I think I am learning that there is a few things like that I need to get BEFORE I get moving on my 450 build. soldering iron, screwdriver set, pitch guage. Is there a dedicated list somewhere with all the goodies a guy should have beforehand?

Tony

Staff member
Well it's pretty easy actually. Just walk into Harbor Freight, or any other discount tool store, and purchase one of EVERYTHING!!!! Hahaha. I would get a good soldering station. Yes, station and not just the iron. The one I have is the Hakko 936 and I love it. There are newer models out now, but you will get the idea. I don't know if I would get one from HK just because I don't trust their electronics. I would spend the extra money, and know it will be around for a long time to come. I have had mine for almost a decade and never had an issue.

As for all of the other tools, just get what you need to work on the helis. Correct drivers (allen and phillips), pitch gauge, maybe a battery tester, amp meter if your worried about how many amps your motor is pulling, Servo testers are nice, but not required. As you can see, you probably have most of what you need. But a pitch gauge is a must have for any ccpm heli.

Top Bottom