General SR120 questions??

gravybird

ok, thanks for that. Now what is wrong if the 6i binds to my coax heli and flies it no prob when my only model in the 6i is my 120sr? Isn't it not supposed to bind to any other helis, only the model selected?

murankar

Staff member
I think I can bind multiple helis to my DX5e. Then again it is not a programmable TX. I just put batteries through mine last night and had to rebind it. I am using the protek brand from amainhobbies. They are 550 mah at 25c I got about 8 to 10 minutes of plugged in time. They were a tad warm after flight. They do cost a little bit more but I have a better c rating and slightly longer flight times. Set your timer so you end the flight before LVC kicks in. I forgot last night and hit LVC and was at 3.2 volts and took just over an hour to charge at .5 amps on my Thunder AC6.

gravybird

Ok is that good practice not to hit the low voltage stage where the led on the receiver starts blinking? I have been flying until it blinks, and the heli derates the power. I usually give the battery about 30 mins to cool before I put it back on the charge, and it takes about an hour to fully charge. It's all of the stock battery and charger that came with it.

gravybird

Also now that I have it steady in the air, I notice it has a wobble, and leans slightly to the right. Probably due to the 6,379 crash landings in my living room:)

Tony

Staff member
When the Rx light starts blinking, it means the Rx lost power at some point. You can duplicate this by turning on your Tx, then plug in your heli. While everything is bound, unplug the heli battery (leaving the TX on) and plug the heli battery back in. The Rx will start flashing to let you know it has lost power.

Needless to say, this is bad. I wouldn't run the batteries under 3.7 volts per cell. If you can do that, your batteries will last much longer.

Tony

Staff member
leaning to the right is common for helis with a tail rotor. It's counter acting the force put off by the tail.

gravybird

At the end of the flight when the battery is going dead, the light blinks on the Rx but it's a different blink than the one where it's not bound. It will blink slowly and the power is cut by 50% or so, and it gently crashes into the ground:) how can I tell the voltage in my batteries? I imagine that would be a better charger that displays the voltage?

Tony

Staff member
there is a couple ways you can see the voltage in each cell. They sell a voltage checker that will tell you. But I would just purchased the Thunder AC6 charger and call it done if you don't have a good charger. I'm using the SkyCharger B6AC and love it, but the AC6 is exacly the same and cheaper. I'm now also looking at the Gens Ace chargers, but you have to run an external power supply with them. But any laptop power supply will work as long as it's 12 volts.

murankar

Staff member
The blinking you mentioned is the low voltage cut off. It is not good to fly that low. The most you might get with just hovering is about 5 to 6 minutes. Some other things I did was thread lock the motor and used a zip tie to secure the motor to the frame. This helped with vibrations in the heli. I have just recently put about 5 more batteries through the heli and was averaging about 6 to 8 minutes with mostly hovering. Now I do have the 550 mah batteries which will run a bit longer than stock. Also watch what amperage you use on the charger. HH suggests the .7 rate, I would suggest the .5 rate. It does take longer but could be easier on the batteries. I also now charge my batteries on the thunder ac6 which is no biggie at this point. Mine is still drifting left so I had to trim right and that was after readjusting the linkage length. Use some needle nose to grab the swash linkage right behind the ball. This will help reduce the stress on that piece of the swash. I had to replace 2 swashes because of this weak point. The battery harness is also another weak point, after some time it will break just from replacing the batteries. You could file down the harness just a tiny bit to reduce this effect.

gravybird

ok. good stuff! does the thunder ac6 come with the right pigtails to charge the battery that comes with the heli? I can't tell by looking on amazon:) I guess I don't even know the name of the connection. man I got a lot to learn. I'm definitely gonna try the zip tie of the main motor, I notice the vibrations also.

murankar

Staff member
The motor is an internal spinning motor. If you were to do the RKH airframe upgrade they recommend doing this. It assists with keeping the motor tight to the air airframe. I am not sure why this works but I was able to reduce some of the vibrations.

Tony

Staff member
Ah so it's an inrunner motor? Never seen one of those on a heli. Figured it would not have enough torque. Interesting lol.

murankar

Staff member
It's also a brushed motor. The mount for the motor is two small screws that screw into the pinion end of the motor. There is a lot of motor for those two screws to hold and with the frame being plastic it just helps. I thought motor vibrations would transfer to the frame but it actually reduces the amount of vibrations. now does this eliminate all vibrations no, it just a way to reduce. Also make sure to keep checking your tail rotor to ensure it stays straight, this could lead to unwanted movement in the tail. I think mine may need a new tail motor soon, my tail is drifting more than it should.

Tony

Staff member
Ah, yeah being a brushed motor it would always have an armature inside. but still, a ziptie shouldn't do anything to stop vibration. Not sure what is going on there.

Top Bottom