General SR120 questions??

gravybird

I just got the blade SR120. It's about a foot long with a single blade fixed pitch, and a flybar. I know I am still totally new at this, but this thing is all over the place. I would consider myself really good with the coax heli, so I feel like this should come a little easier. It wont hold still after liftoff, and the trim settings on my 4ch radio seem to have no effect what so ever. does any of this sound normal? Oh well tomorrow is another day, and hopefully there won't be 25 mph winds like today, and I can try my new toy outside.

Tony

Staff member
With any fixed pitch helicopter, the wind will grab those things and toss them around like a rag doll. It's not as bad as a coax, but it's still pretty bad. But remember, you are getting into something that is not quite as stable as a coax. When these take off, they will want to go to the left for a second until you tell it to come back. Give yourself time and practice and you will get it. And try to not fly it in anything over about 5mph winds.

murankar

Staff member
I started on the Blade mcX myself. I flew this heli for about a year off and on. I then found out about the 120sr in January of 2011 and said I have to have this. Then in february I bought a BNF model and used the mcX TX. That lasted all of about 2 weeks when I got the DX5e and started flying with that and saw a big improvement in flying. This heli has one small flaw and that is the pendulum effect that is caused by the flybar being at 45 degrees to the rotor head. It took me almost two months to attempt forward flight. Then I had some job changes a month or so later and had to put it down for a short time. Then I finally had a place to fly after I relocated. The field was way big enough to fly without issue of hitting something. I then progressed into turning and discovered new things like coordinated turning (bank turns). Other issues I found was with the wind. It seemed the wind was never light enough to fly so I took the challenge and attempted to fly anyways big mistake. So needless to say Flying outside with this heli was out of the question for me. Right now the only solution I is to fly in a gym or some bigger indoor area. Here in South Korea the wind is a constant struggle so I decided that I wanted to go bigger and thought that the 250 class would be a better option. Then the folks here at rc-help.com proved that the 450 class would be a better option.

If trimming is not working check you push rods with calipers and ensure that they are the right length according to the manual. Eflite mentions what the correct lengths should be, then see if that works. also try and rebind with the trims set to zero and see if that improves. After upgrading the rotor head, blade grips and anti-rotation collar to the RKH parts I still need some trimming to the left and had to thread lock the blade grips. Once I am done with the 450 will be upgrading the swash and flybar. I found that the swash ball links are a not that strong, although they do handle crashes fine. The landing skids are stiff and can handle most crashes but if it is cold out you will being replacing them often if you crash a lot. MIA Micro-FLIGHT has an upgrade for the skids. I have not used them so I can not comment on the quality of that upgrade. One other flaw you may need to address is the collar on the tail rotor. If the tail blade comes off due to a crash you may end up losing it. I have lost many of them and at $3 and some change it adds up. IMHO this heli is a great machine to learn on. It's cost effective and forgiving in most aspects. Be diligent and keep practicing.

gravybird

thanks for the feedback guys! It is already starting to get a little easier:) tony, I just went and bought a dx6i, and have it on the initial charge. could you point me in the direction of the first things that are a must do with that radio? murankar, thanks, and as you're well aware... Stay away from the N korea border! I hear that place will get you hemmed up:)

Tony

Staff member
If you have not watched my first 4 videos on the DX6i, watch them. I'm posting them below for your viewing pleasure lol. There are a lot more including an hour long video setting up the dx6i in an eRazor 450 heli. I don't think you will have to go that far, but you never know what you will learn. Just go to MY CHANNEL and watch the Complete DX6i Setup videos, they will help a lot as well as the ones below. But watch teh ones below first.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
this is the playlist of the full dx6i & ccpm setup guide. Could be helpfull but won't do much for a fixed pitch setup since you dont' have as many options with teh swash.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PL051C39CC09C6FAEB&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gravybird

alright. I watched thru 1 thru 4:) gave me a much better understanding than reading the manual did. How do I tell when the batteries are fully charged on the radio? I have had it plugged in for about two hours now.

gravybird

what settings in the radio control the servos on the right stick? I have no control in the air, they only move about half as far as they do compared to the 4ch radio I have been using. I know I have seen these settings, but can't remember what they are:) thanks

Tony

Staff member
Just turn the Tx on and make sure you have about 5.5 volts. I think it will only go up to about 5.8 at max charge. As for cyclic movement, I'm just going to guess here since I don't have my Tx. I'm not sure if there is a "Swash" setting box, but if there is, you need to raise the aileron and elevator number up until you get the movement you need. If that doesn't work, then raise your travel adjustment. Let me know if this works. I have not done much on a 4ch heli.

gravybird

Is it normal to have to bind the radio to the heli after every time I charge the heli battery? that is my current situation.

Tony

Staff member
No, that is not normal. What is the bind sequence you have to follow? I may be able to find out why it's doing this. Or are you using the DX6i? If you are using the 6i, did you remove the bind plug?And if you are not using the bind plug, are you turning the Tx on first, and the heli on last?

murankar

Staff member
that heli does not have a bind plug. Normally you would turn the heli on first wait for the light to flash the while holding the trainer switch up turn on the tx. that should be it. At least it is for the DX5e.

gravybird

ok murankar, that's what I have to do:) I can turn them both on and off a million times, and they'll automatically re connect, but once I take the battery out to charge, than I have to turn on the radio with the trainer switch up. If thats normal, its no biggie, just wondering:)

Tony

Staff member
Oh yeah, Blade products are BNF... Tells you something of just how tired I was last night lol. 3 hours sleep, not a good thing.

You shouldn't have to rebind every time. I have not had a battery in my mcpx for a couple months, and I will put a new one in it, and won't have to rebind. just make sure you turn that DX6i on first, then plug the heli in.

Tony

Staff member
You should always turn on the Tx first, then plug in the heli battery, and when done flying, unplug the battery in the heli first, and turn off The Tx last. The Tx should always be broadcasting a signal to the heli at all times when you are connecting and disconnecting the battery.

Top Bottom