Misc. Spirit GeoLink Problem

davidbitton

I’m all too versed in these connectors, so we’re good there. The Spirit config app connects to the GTR on a consistent basis, as does my TX. Once the GTR is connected to the desktop app, the GeoLink is on the other side of the GTR. I’m interested in how a faulty USB connection can affect the GeoLink link.

As a matter of fact, I put my scope on the data line between the GeoLink and the GTR and it was just noise. The lack of debug log output is a bit frustrating. If only I knew what to look for, protocol wise.

Heliman450

Hi David, Randy was going through a whole host of stuff to help out on the PC side of things. I'm sure that my laptop needed some serious attention so now I'm able to concentrate on getting the module working.

Have you run through my list of checks as per my suggestions? I just picked up my v2 module and will be testing out the connection process on my 550E very soon, hopefully without any hitches.

I'm lacking feedback from a number of sources on how the features should be activated/switched or whatever. It will just take a bit longer to work it all out myself.

davidbitton

I ran through every bullet point in this thread. It doesn't help that Spirit Systems' time zone is +7 hours from me. If would be nice to chat and/or talk with a tech. let me know how your v2 goes.

Heliman450

OK, good luck with your quest. I'm in their time zone but I'm still not getting quick feedback from them. I only got a response via someone else's thread.

davidbitton

OK, I don't know if this helped, but I unplugged the ESC telemetry from Sat1 and disabled telemetry. I also switched to a Windows 11 VM from macos. Right now, I have a connection.

davidbitton

Acha! If I enable ESC telemetry -- without even connecting the ESC -- I am unable to see the GeoLink. Once I turn off ESC telemetry, I can communicate with the GeoLink. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

davidbitton

Now, with telemetry disabled, if i plug the telem cable in to Sat1, I loose the GeoLink. So much so, that the Connected/Not COnnected changes as I plug the cord in and out of the Sat1 port.

davidbitton

SOLVED! I needed to pull the red pin from the telem cable for the ESC. So, when the docs show the connector as missing the red wire, it’s not optional. On to the next thing.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Excellent news! Go carefully forwards now. I couldn't get a consistent heading from my iPhone's compass and bought a new analogue one. I made an adjustment of minus one degree to correct the deviation from 90Degrees original calibration.

I got a message warning me not to interrupt the 'Calibration' process or it would be lost when I pressed the button. I'm prepared to do a test flight using the Spirit calibration rather than end up in an even worse mess. The reason being that they offered a demonstration via a link where the guy didn't succeed to do the calibration correctly. I'm started working on a procedure for it but am struggling to digest their description of how the features are controlled when a separate channel is used.

I'm focusing on my 550E as the next recipient of a GeoLink. I needed to upgrade my receiver to enable the new channels (Stabilisation is also a new channel under latest updates). I will also be rearranging my transmitter switch locations to give a logical layout but for the test flight, I'll wait with the layout and just go carefully.

Any information that you can share will be appreciated.

Heliman450

Tx. is now upgraded so progressing slowly.

I think that I've got the switching of the GeoLink captured after downloading their text and translating the English into real English. SpiritPro seems to be a bit more elusive. I can't even find the text to start with.

Heliman450

Hi all, given the amazing opportunity to share the challenges of our hobby, I include a link below to another thread, which is the logical place to further explore a working solution to my Spirit GeoLink problem. It's the challenge facing anybody with this and possibly other high-tech devices that aren't well described for others to install and use.

Of course, I could surrender and pass my helicopter to the supplier of the device, but then I don't get to enjoy the fun and satisfaction of making it work. That seems like the boring option to me. Please join the exchange of ideas here:

Heliman450

Hi again, I'm hoping that my stable connection continues after purchasing a new Interface USB cable.

My thread continues with a request to all interested members to make suggestions about the switching protocols for the GeoLink features. All input much appreciated.

Heliman450

Hi all, it's been a long and frustrating road but thanks to input from various sources, I've now managed to successfully configure a satisfactory control means for the 'Return to Home' feature of the GeoLink. Next steps will be extending the configured features and tidying up my transmitter to give me a working layout before testing in the field. I'm waiting for a while before purchasing and changing switches around to give me some experience 'as-is' :arms:

Heliman450

Latest update, lot's of other stuff going on so my progress has been slowed down but I can say that I'm ready to do a test flight of my 550E now fitted with the v2 GeoLink module. I did a lot of work on my original v1 module fitted to the V-R 880 in its new guise since rebuilding it as a custom item, so I copied the model programming to create a new one to continue with the project using my older (and cheaper) 550E just in case there's a major problem that would cause serious damage to my wallet :waa:

Over the weekend, I carried out 2 field tests of the setting up process. The first was to check the software option for the 'Geo-fence' feature, the second to go through it using the transmitter. I've decided that the software option is not practical for me so I will use the transmitter setting up method and carry the heli to each corner of the defined area. To start with, this is about 150 square yards and I have created a set of procedures to achieve the test-flight for each of the 3 chosen features (Geo-fence/Return to Home/Position Hold). Once I'm satisfied with the results, I'll increase the defined area and practice flying with the system before adding any further GeoLink features. I'm limited by available channels at the moment so want to think a bit as I would need a new transmitter to cover all features.

Heliman450

Yet another update...

I still don't trust the GeoLink enough to take off and risk making the switch in the air as suggested by Spirit. They even say to activate only one feature at a time 'Carefully'. I'm not sure how to activate a switch carefully, however, my interpretation means not to rush the process unless you want to risk a crash. So, my progress stands like this.

I have setup a 'Geo-fence' area around the helipad at my flying club, this is bigger than my previous testing area on the car park but still limited. After initialisation, I activated the 'Geo-fence' feature and the swashplate immediately snapped over to the right (good job it wasn't in the air at the time). I was a bit surprised at this as my expectation was that it would be more likely to move forward to correct the fact that the model's 'Home' location is closer to the rear boundary of the area than the left-hand side. After moving around the area to check its reaction, it is consistently snapping to the right. Maybe it still thinks that 'Home' is in Czechoslovakia where it was initially tested :rotflmao:it is to the right (east) of Switzerland.

I'm off to the UK for a short trip so will return to the problem afterwards.

Heliman450

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone is watching this thread but it's useful for me to keep track of what's going on and as a memory jogger when I break off for any reason. I think that I'd benefit from some input from 'davidbitton' as it seems to be that he's been successful with his installation/activation given his silence. After my trip to the UK, I returned to the issue with my focus being on the v2 GeoLink module in my T-Rex 550E. To eliminate it from the equation, I needed to fix a longstanding issue with this model's settings within my Jeti DC-14 and was successful. The swashplate tilting is still there albeit that it disappears after activating/deactivating a couple of times.

Still working on the ground, I have reprogrammed the Geo-fence area to be a bit smaller and tested the function by carrying it through the boundary as defined. I cannot control the cyclic function during this process and it does appear to be trying to bring the model back into the area aromatically. My understanding of the information in Spirit's online manual is that I should be able to fly within this area and the system takes over once I stray outside and automatically takes it to the middle when I'm able to retake control by moving the cyclic stick slightly.

It seems to be that I'm unable to fly with the Geo-fence activated and, therefore, must fly without it activated only being able to use the function if the model leaves the defined area. Seems to defeat the object of the function in my opinion.

I also suffered with some connectivity problems at the beginning of my last session on the PC but was able to overcome it simply by moving the USB Interface cable a little bit, which makes me think that maybe there's an internal problem with my SpiritPro gyro. The cable works fine for just the gyro and only manifests itself when I work on the GeoLink.

All feedback welcome.

Top Bottom