Misc. Spirit GeoLink Problem

Heliman450

Hi Randy, that's a shame. I have been in touch with Jeti and received a response almost immediately, I thought that's very good. Unfortunately, they seem reluctant to offer any advice but gave me information that I can use. So, no shortcut but that's fine by me as I'm pretty much self-taught on all aspects of my hobby and that's one reason I chose it for my retirement to come at the time I got started.

The salesman was my local guy when I worked in Singapore and he was very good. Mostly they sell to tourists that are only passing through but we were there for 2 years. That's 14 years ago now and it seems he was not far off the mark as I only activated channel 7 recently to deal with my 'Banks'. I have a set of retracting landing gear as part of my project so my main challenge is to delve into the features of my Tx. that have remained dormant until now. I might buy the package to boost available channels to 14 as it only costs 35Euro. We'll see how it goes.

davidbitton

I wanted to add my current situation. I have a Spirit GTR and a GeoLink module. I've only had the hardware for a couple weeks. The best I can get is a single blue LED flash, and then nothing at all. Config app shows the GeoLink as disconnected. Spirit tech suggested it's in calibration mode and I should watch a YouTube video of someone calibrating the device. I never see the LED flash at all like the video. I've little to no luck with this. I tried just about everything and I can't get it to be recognized. The Module tab in the config app is greyed out. Any ideas?

RandyDSok

I wanted to add my current situation. I have a Spirit GTR and a GeoLink module. I've only had the hardware for a couple weeks. The best I can get is a single blue LED flash, and then nothing at all. Config app shows the GeoLink as disconnected. Spirit tech suggested it's in calibration mode and I should watch a YouTube video of someone calibrating the device. I never see the LED flash at all like the video. I've little to no luck with this. I tried just about everything and I can't get it to be recognized. The Module tab in the config app is greyed out. Any ideas?

You didn't mention if you had tried what Heliman450 has suggested in this very thread or not... My posts were to cover some computer related stuff but most are likely irrelevant except perhaps what I mentioned about making sure you are using a known good data USB cable and not a power only USB cable.

Heliman450

Hi David, I had the module for a lot longer before starting to install/activate it. Hopefully, you're not suffering the same frustration that I have since starting. I disagree with the idea that the module is in 'Calibration Mode'. My unit gave the same odd behaviour with the Blue LED blinking once, momentarily and then going out. During the following, I'll pose some questions with 'lessons learned' for you and apologies in advance if you've been through them with someone else:
  • Have you located the .4ds file from the Spirit Forum and saved it into the programme folder 'Spirit Settings'? If you haven't done this and you tried to power-up, you are already on the same wrong path that I was. This file is needed to enable the module to access the list of available Firmware. BEWARE! This list includes v1 and v2 Firmware and only one of the options will work if your module is v1, which is at the bottom of the list.
  • I'm assuming that you haven't yet reached the stage of trying to upload the Firmware. When you do, this will result in a very confusing message telling you to press two buttons and to reconnect the unit but not remove the Spirit power. In addition, this should be done quickly. However, due to the very small plugs, it may be difficult to do this fast enough. It took me dozens of attempts before it worked ok
I'll post this now as it's an active chat and carry on when you respond to my input

Heliman450

You haven't mentioned anything about your transmitter yet. You will need to master the challenge of activating the features once the module is powered up and you have made the correction for heading to align with Magnetic North

Heliman450

You cannot enter 'Calibration Mode' until such time as the module is successfully powered-up and the Firmware is installed.

DO NOT enter 'Calibration Mode' as this will mess up the whole thing. The video they link us to is useless. The guy fails to calibrate correctly so I gave up at that point. I'm in the process of developing a better procedure than 'bluffing-through'.

Heliman450

How are you coping with my feedback so far? My day is just starting, is yours just finishing? I'm more than willing to help you with this but we can't do it as a chat.

Heliman450

I just picked up your contribution to my Spirit Forum thread. I advise not dealing with your issue there. They haven't answered it since I first published it.

Have you obtained the .4ds file yet?

Heliman450

Hi again David, if you follow the link I copied in my previous response it takes you to the file together with an explanation of the guy's original request. Read it first and get back. My understanding is that it enables the Firmware to be downloaded directly to the module rather than downloading to the computer as things were earlier. The file should be in the correct folder as per support's advice.

Meanwhile, I've purchased a v2 for installation on my 550 T-Rex. This will allow me to test out my new procedures. I'll bear in mind what you're saying about seeing the Firmware already. My installation didn't allow me to see any Firmware until the Module was correctly powered up after performing the 'Recovery'

RandyDSok

Ok some technical corrections to wording... just so you know. Some additional info for Heliman450 hopefully describing the update process and what to do if something had gone wrong like in his situation at the least. As typical of me, this will be in my usual verbose manner in hopes to describe what I know as well as what I'm not clear about etc since I don't own the devices in question.

i tried what I could try. I'm not using a USB cable; i'm using the programming cable that came with the GTR.

The programming cable you mention IS an USB cable, it is simply a proprietary one that has a unique connector on the Spirit GTX side, the other side is a standard USB connection for your PC's connection.

Why do I need the file? I see several firmware options for my V2.

Technically you don't but it does save you a step that is normally done by the software... ie the part where it downloads the firmware selected. The .4dg file IS the firmware file that is typically downloaded by the software for the v1 Spirit module... it isn't for a v2 version.

On the software's Info page... it should show Connected as long as there is no connection problem. In addition, if connected, it should list which version of the firmware is currently on the device. If both of those pass ( ie shows connected and lists a firmware version ), then on the Update page it should list the available firmware updates for the version you own.

If there isn't a connection or if the Info page doesn't list a proper firmware version for your device... it is this point that you should verify your devices version ( v1 or v2 ) and select to Flash or Recover.

In the Recovery mode... the software has no idea of which version firmware is the correct one. This is where the user must know which is correct and to select it from the list. Once selected, the process is much like the Flash process with the only difference being that the flash is being forced to use the selected version instead of having listed only versions made for your device ( ie v1 or v2 etc ).

By downloading the firmware that Heliman450 provided for a v1 device.... if yours is a v1 ( which should be obvious now ) and not a v2 ... your flash/recovery should be quicker than if you are waiting on a download to also happen.

Here is a deviation because of what Heliman450 mentioned. His device seemed to have a problem when it was connected to SAT1... I believe it was an intermittent connect but that is a guess. If I understood him correctly, when he connected to SAT2 his connection was more reliable and he was able to perform the flash/recover portion of the steps.

What I'm not completely clear about is if everything is working as intended... if he would have even seen the recover button or not. I would assume not but that is a guess having not seen it... and since he did have problems during that portion... I could see where both would be seen. If my guess is correct and both buttons are seen... then I'd assume it is at that point you'd press the Recover button to select your firmware that you are flashing. I could easily be wrong since they may also be taking into consideration that a user had flashed the incorrect firmware at some point and may need a method to flash the correct one.

So my suggestion to davidbitton ... First with your devices documentation you have, verify which version device it is... ie either v1 or v2. Next, when in the software to update with, verify if the Info page shows a connection and proper firmware version for your device. If there is a problem with either of those... try connecting it to the other SAT connection ( SAT1 or SAT2 depending on which one you are first connected too ). The repeat the steps. If it is working now, both connected and can see the proper firmware version on the Info page... then proceed with the update if it is needed.

If all goes well... then you shouldn't need the recovery steps... those are only needed when something is not going properly.

davidbitton

With 100% certainty, I can confirm the GeoLink is v2; it’s on the cover. So, as with 450, his v1 stuff probably doesn’t apply. As for Sat ports, HobbyWing ESC telemetry is in Sat1.

As for connection, the app is successfully connected to the GTR, but the app says the GeoLink is not connected.

RandyDSok

With 100% certainty, I can confirm the GeoLink is v2; it’s on the cover. So, as with 450, his v1 stuff probably doesn’t apply. As for Sat ports, HobbyWing ESC telemetry is in Sat1.

As for connection, the app is successfully connected to the GTR, but the app says the GeoLink is not connected.

I would likely disagree... his download for the .4gd file certainly didn't apply... but that doesn't mean the rest is of no value. Going from a v1 to a v2 type is typically to address issues in the hardware/software that required new stuff... but they wouldn't just throw away everything else they did like.

About it not showing connected... that may be a similar issue though. You should be able to test by plugging into the other SAT port with your programming cable temporarily. This may not work for the rest of the setup stuff but as a troubleshooting step it is valid. In addition, knowing yours is a v2, means you can select to download the latest v2 firmware and if needed, force the update with the Recover option to flash with... IF it will actually connect even if it's not shown as connected.

So there are a lot of IF's in that... but remember at this point you are in troubleshooting mode and any setup can wait until you've identified possible causes of the trouble you are seeing.

Heliman450

Good morning gentlemen, having established which device it is I can't provide any specific feedback, only some suggestions based upon my real-life experience.

I became frustrated at the system's inability to detect the unit correctly and remain so. I have carried out some tests since attaining a stable connection and it has consistently worked. I suggest that you concentrate on how you connect the cable to the SAT2 of your gyro and the module. I include three photos as attachments.

The connectors are very small and go fully into the sockets. I suspected that the terminals were touching before the connector was fully into the gyro end. My gyro is positioned exactly opposite the hole I made but it isn't quite high enough for me to hold the connector in thumb and index finger and to enter the socket smoothly. It's a bit too far inside the frame. I carried out a modification to one end to reinforce this and enable me to install/remove it effectively. The GeoLink end is no problem and doesn't even need to be fixed to the heli.

I first strengthened the cable with a small piece of wood (see photo of cable). It is glued to the underside of the cables so that it supports the connector. I then used some shrink-wrap to cover it. The connector is positioned as it enters the socket with smooth side uppermost. Sorry but no photo of the reinforcing piece glued to the socket/cables.

Remember that I was going through a recovery process and part of it was to quickly disconnect/reconnect the GeoLink module WITHOUT disconnecting the power from the gyro.

The process of connecting to the PC is in any case a bit touchy even without the GeoLink in the loop. The Interface USB cable should not be plugged into the PC until the gyro has power and the software only started after the Interface USB is plugged in. I suspect that your problem lies in how the power is applied to the module. I would try the following assuming that you don't have need to modify the connector.
  1. Satisfy yourself that you can plug the connectors in smoothly at both ends without any power - note the correct orientation of the connectors (smooth side uppermost)
  2. Connect to the SAT2 port of the gyro
  3. Power-up the gyro and GeoLink module (I have an auxiliary battery)
  4. Connect the Interface USB cable to the PC and open the software (I assume that the cable is connected to the 'SYS' port on the gyro already)
  5. Check if the module is detected and all the tabs are lit and available for use (probably not as I think you haven't successfully downloaded any Firmware yet)
  6. If the module is not detected - Quickly remove the module's connector and plug it back in again WITHOUT removing power from the system. I did this about 10 times with a combination of power on the gyro and power off before it worked successfully. I did not have to reboot the software or disconnect the Interface USB for success although I did try it a couple of times during the process with a cooling down break in between to relieve my frustration
I think this is enough for now until we can achieve a successful connection and move on to the next stages of alignment to Magnetic North etc.

Heliman450

OOPS! Attachments below.

Attachments

• Connector 01_27.08.jpg
    Connector 01_27.08.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Connector 02_27.08.jpg
    Connector 02_27.08.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
  • GeoLinkv1_27.08.jpg
    GeoLinkv1_27.08.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 4