Quad Sam's QAV500 build

Lee

Sam the GPS is awesome. My friend has it on his. We gave the controls to a guy thats never flown before. He took off and flew it around no probs. You dont have to touch a thing, and the GPS will hold it steady. Good luck with the maiden, you won't need it, it's too easy :)

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Sam the GPS is awesome. My friend has it on his. We gave the controls to a guy thats never flown before. He took off and flew it around no probs. You dont have to touch a thing, and the GPS will hold it steady. Good luck with the maiden, you won't need it, it's too easy :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lee. I just get A little leary after all the bad luck I had with my 600! But I see all the videos out there. Ill get her up and flying!! LOL

wolfman76

hey sam where you get the control board for your quad seeing how the revo from openpilot won't be available for some time i need sumthin for the money for the quads i am building

- - - Updated - - -

does anyone know if the KK flight controller boards are any good???

Tasajara

hey sam where you get the control board for your quad seeing how the revo from openpilot won't be available for some time i need sumthin for the money for the quads i am building

- - - Updated - - -

does anyone know if the KK flight controller boards are any good???
There ok, but you end up trimming them most ever flight if they have piezo gyros.
If you find one with mems gyros, they do pretty good.
somthing like this Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board

I have 5 of the KK boards laying around. Once I went to MultiWii I don't use them any more.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ok just tried to maden. Nothing goes right for me ever! I could only get two motors to start at once. The front two. It flipped! Broke a prop. Hmmmmm!!!! Going to have to start from scratch! Setting up the esc's!!! I had this problem before! I could only get three motors to start before! I thought I have this solved. Obviously not!! Hmmmmm!!! Ok what am I doing wrong? This is why I like gas and nitro motors over electric. I suck at electric! I guess the throtel travel or something is not right! Someone tell me how to set up the esc's!!! Hmmmmmm!!!

Tasajara

Do the other esc come on just at a later time? I would pull the props off when testing the motor run up.
Have you set the throttle end points?
You can set the end point on the esc's one at a time if needed.
I made a wire harness that has one servo lead going to six
That way I can set all end points at the same time.
Once you set up the Naza you do need to reset endpoints.
All the Transmitter trimming you may do on setup could change the end points.

You may have already done this .. but if not here is what I do.

To set end points, take all props off. Then pull one esc servo lead at a time hook it to the throttle, then place the throttle to WOT plug in your battery for the one esc. You will hear an initial start up beep.
then a second beep, maybe one or two. Pull the throttle to zero, if you hear the rest of the esc's initialization tones unplug the battery and you have set the end points for that esc. Do the same for the rest.
Just make sure you don't go into program mode by waiting to long to pull the throttle to zero. If you think you may have got into program mode just unplug the battery quick and start over

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Do the other esc come on just at a later time? I would pull the props off when testing the motor run up.
Have you set the throttle end points?
You can set the end point on the esc's one at a time if needed.
I made a wire harness that has one servo lead going to six
That way I can set all end points at the same time.
Once you set up the Naza you do need to reset endpoints.
All the Transmitter trimming you may do on setup could change the end points.

You may have already done this .. but if not here is what I do.

To set end points, take all props off. Then pull one esc servo lead at a time hook it to the throttle, then place the throttle to WOT plug in your battery for the one esc. You will hear an initial start up beep.
then a second beep, maybe one or two. Pull the throttle to zero, if you hear the rest of the esc's initialization tones unplug the battery and you have set the end points for that esc. Do the same for the rest.
Just make sure you don't go into program mode by waiting to long to pull the throttle to zero. If you think you may have got into program mode just unplug the battery quick and start over

I tryed this before I got the NAZA. I'll try it again!

Tasajara

I thought you may have done it before, just after I change setting sometimes I had to reset the endpoints. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
The only thing I can think of doing is to just start from scratch. Reprogram the esc's and reset the throttles. Don't know if I can do it till next weekend though.

Lee

Sorry to here that Sam. As stated, try to re calibrate the ESCs And always check everything is working right before putting the props on.

Keith

Check all your connections... When you are sure they all work, do it again.

If any seem sus swap motors and ESC positions to eliminate bad ones.

In all my flips, shudders, jitters and brick imitations it has been a bad connection or motor failure.

Good luck, if it all seems pointless give it a rest for couple of weeks and come back with renewed enthuseasam(?)...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well it seams that I've got the esc's working now after starting all over again. I still can't get failsafe to work when I shut down the tx. Out of time now got to get ready to go to work. Oh we'll.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Is it possible that I've got a batch of bad esc's? I program them and they work perfectly. Shut everything down. Go back a few minutes later and I get the same thing. A couple of motors start, a couple don't! What in the heck is going on?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Hi everyone. I just wanted to update you on my progress. I got home early this week for a change. But that's anougher story haha. I decided that I was going to change out Rx's just incase the ar7000 would not do what I wanted it to do. So I installed my ar8000 RX. Now I've got to buy another ar8000 for my f7f! Lol I went into the programing of my tx to the warning menu. Changed the throttle to under 10% instead of over 10%. This stoped my tx from the warning buzzard going off when I turned on the tx. Then I inn. the flap switch in the warning menu cause that's the one I was using for man, att, and GPS. I proceeded to bind the RX according to the pre set failsafe directions in my Manuel. I re adjusted everything in the dji program and low and behold. Everything works like its sapposed to!

I then went into the motor mix menu in the dji program and set the idle speed to the mid high position. Now my motors all start up at once. The only thing is that they come on has soon has they are armed. At least it won't flip over anymore when I try to fly her!I hope!! Lol.

Crossing my fingers that it dosent rain tomorrow so I can get her in the air. Maybe I'll try later today. I've got to go downstairs to my workshop and check all the props after the crash the other day. The least thing I have to do there is balance a new prop for the one I broke last weekend. Lol hope the rest are ok or ill be ordering some more APC's to replace them. I don't want to put my good props on till I can fly her proficiently!

Sam.

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
:pissed-off::pissed-off::pissed-off:Well guys here is the latest news. After chatting with Tim from fpv manuels, he told me that he has read that there is a problem using plush esc with the NAZA. Although he hasen't had the problem himself. So I may have to get differant esc. Hmmmm.

:pissed-off::pissed-off::pissed-off:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well guys, sometimes I feel so stupid! Lol I talked to the people I bought my NAZA GPS from today. RCRUS. I found out. They told me that the only things that would cause my quad to flip over were. Either my NAZA was mounted wrong, or my motors were spinning backwards. Well I checked my motors and they were spinning the right way. Then I tore off the top layer on my quad and checked my NAZA mounting. It was has it should be. Mounted right! Well I dug further into it and realized, I had my motors numbered backwards! It should be starting from left to right straight back and to the left. 1 2 3 4. Instead I had them starting on the left straight back to the right then forward 1 2 3 4. Hmmm. A slight mistake on my part. Probably costing my 5 pusher props, and three weeks of flying time. I have to wait for new props that I ordered yesterday, another week goes buy. Hmmm. Oh well. I'll know for sure though has soon has I get some more props.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
:evil::evil::evil:

Well men and ladies of course! Lol. She is maiden. Put her all together this morning. Re calibrated everything again. Took her out back. The weather wasn't perfect but, not raining, warm, about 74* but, a little windy. Plugged in the batteries and she took right off! I know I'll have to mess around with all the gyro settings so, lol. Any suggestions on these would be greatly appreciated! Right now they are all at 100. The default settings for the NAZA.

First I took off in man. mode. Very shaky. Especially when the wind hit her! I then flipped her to att. mode. This was defiantly better! Still though I couldn't let go of the controls or she would drift off. Finally I tried GPS att. mode and then I could let go of the control and she would just fly there in one spot till a gust of wind blew her over a bit but the GPS would take over and stop her from drifting. Soon has I download the camera I'll post up a video!

I'm soo glad that I finally got her flying. Now to get some Los flights in so I can do fpv next! LOL!

:hdbng::hdbng::hdbng:

Last edited:
Top Bottom