Rch flight log

cml001

Just flew 2 batteries at lunch... Very windy w large gust... Trans lift is CRAZY out here right now... Oh well... Back to work!

EyeStation

Had a great battery at lunch with my 130x. Back outside to the wide open park. A bit breezy causing transitional throws in both directions. Flying left to right had weird air almost going with the wind direction. From Right to Left I experienced crazy lift. I was happy to have dialed in my 0% and 25% pitch settings to 35% to graduate out of hovering. Needed all them extra negative degrees to keep her in line. Had real fun putting her where I wanted to in the sky, and pulled out of everything Ma Nature blew at me. Not perfect in all my orientations, but up in a controlled flight for the entire 4:30 of the battery. I think I just crossed a milestone.
Just to prove to myself that it was not a fluke, I stepped out to the patio this evening. Even hit stunt mode not long after I crossed the railing.
Sorry for the solar burns, but this is the justifying flight back home.
[video=youtube_share;NEBQilTyQ8M]http://youtu.be/NEBQilTyQ8M[/video]
Forgot about all the new negative pitch at the 2:20 mark, failed to hit TH too, but the stall was quick and shut down the ESC real fast.
Spooled right up for the rest of the battery. Missed the landing pad because I was freaking at the TX battery shutdown.
Tomorrow it's gonna be over 50°F. Gonna be lots of time to burn batteries.

Looks like a good flight, cant believe you didnt loose it in the sun. Nice work

- - - Updated - - -

I got to fly 8 packs through my 120sr today. I fixed the 250 but by the time I set everything up it was too windy outside for a test flight. I hope for better weather tomorrow. The packs I flew through the 120 were fun just doing tight circuits in the house. I put some dry lube on the bearings and you can hardly hear it running now.. I am posting pictures of my newly rebuilt 250 and 120sr in the "My 250 Pro DFC" forum pictures. I love the way the 250 looks with the new canopy and I do like the 120 canopy too.

EyeStation

Two batteries, two heli's, And 15 minutes of my lunch well spent.
here is a link to the park I will probably be spending alot of time in this year.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.014594,-87.758799,3a,75y,170.75h,77.37t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sBRhvkvmJ177_p0A5ushilw!2e0

Wind blowing in from the south east, in front and from the right from where I was piloting from. You can hear the wind and see its effects on the flight. It is the first time the 300x has been back out here since last years faceplant into home plate. Same baseball diamond, same piloting position. Much better results. Needs to be dialed down a bit, not sure where yet. Just fun to control it this year.
[video=youtube_share;sCjoqHL00cg]http://youtu.be/sCjoqHL00cg[/video]

Next flight was the 130x. I'm very impressed with it's authority in the wind. Can't wait till I get the 300x dialed in like this one.
[video=youtube_share;UHT8eblgUBI]http://youtu.be/UHT8eblgUBI[/video]

Stambo

Did a couple of batteries in my FPV quad after work yesterday.
First flight after my scary incident in the wind.
I was a little nervous on the first one but regained a bit of confidence.
The second one I was able to enjoy a little more.

No video as I reckon you guys will be getting a little bored seeing the same old patch of land.
The only problem I had was as the sun was on it's way down, every time I turned towards it the ground got a bit dark.
If I had thought about it at the time I could probably have turned the brightness up a bit on my goggles but as I am still learning it never crossed my mind.
The HD video out of the on board cam was fine so I will have to remember this for next time.

I can't wait until I get confident enough to go fly somewhere else, although I will have to wait for a spotter to be available.
Be nothing worse than trying to fly FPV with Joe Public talking at me.

I got to put a couple of packs through the 250 pro dfc today. I was hovering pretty well and there was about 12mph wind. The tail still likes to shake every now and then so I was playing with some gain and just getting comfortable hovering tail in and nose in. Nothing exciting for most of you guys but for being a noobe I am pretty happy that I brought it home in one piece today and I can fly again tomorrow. I did pretty well with nose in hover but the side ways hover I bailed out of pretty quick. I have some video but I am not too sure how much you guys want to watch me hover....LOL

cml001

Yeah yeah fellas! Off tomorrow, maybe I can get some video.. U guys got me jealous... Weather here has been wet and windy... Tomorrow looks promising tho! Good job guys!

Stambo

I got to put a couple of packs through the 250 pro dfc today. I was hovering pretty well and there was about 12mph wind. The tail still likes to shake every now and then so I was playing with some gain and just getting comfortable hovering tail in and nose in. Nothing exciting for most of you guys but for being a noobe I am pretty happy that I brought it home in one piece today and I can fly again tomorrow. I did pretty well with nose in hover but the side ways hover I bailed out of pretty quick. I have some video but I am not too sure how much you guys want to watch me hover....LOL

A little trick I used when learning side in hover is turn my body slightly to the way the nose is facing. (Still do if I haven't flown for a while.)
Helps my old fart brain when I'm sort of facing the way the heli is.
The most important thing is to be able to get tail in and comfortable quickly when you need to.

EyeStation

Tested out the new Gimbal setup at a local park district with a rich history. Located a few blocks north of the Prison made famous by the Blues Brothers, where Elwood picked up Jake. And more recently in the TV series Prison Break.
This view into the park from Route 171 looking East. I will be testing in there.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.572043,-88.067325,3a,75y,115.1h,76.21t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sl31oA30k30YGhMmCsNqVLg!2e0
Added an old G410T to the servo output and sent her on her way.
I made it through a great portion of 3 batteries, only cracking the landing tube and one mounting clip.
I had a hard time with orientation with this creature so far. I believe it is because the forward motion is not there to help my brain.
I have 3 onboard videos I will link you to and a couple of the KeyCam videos for the pilot POV.
Watch for the uploads in my Quad thread.
I have to say, I did not believe that finding an old box of RC cars in storage 4 years back would lead me up to this day today.
I am enjoying my transitions through this hobby.

Last edited:
EyeStation, I have heard that flying quads takes a great deal of skill, I was watching your videos earlier today and it looks like so much fun. The build looks good too. I cant wait for more videos.

I got to put 8 packs in the 250 today. Little breezy out, actually very windy for most of the packs. On my 6th flight I worked on side hover and nose hover most of the flight, had to bail out of side hover to tail hover after about 20 seconds every time. On the 7th flight the wind almost died and I did some real ugly circuits and worked on hover 4 orientations, the the 8th flight I told myself I would stick the side hover and started to loose control. Now this is where the sim has paid off huge for me. When i started to loose control I just went back to a tail hover but the nose was down and the heli was falling fast. So I punched it up to the sky while pulling back on the elevator. Saved my heli by about 8 inches from the grass. Thank you real flight 6.5. I have not had a rush like that in a long time. Felt great to bring home the heli in one piece again and now I am prepping everything for tomorrow.

I do have some questions about flight characteristics and am posting them in the 250 forum.

Stambo

EyeStation, I have heard that flying quads takes a great deal of skill

Not really, if you can fly a FP helicopter you can fly a quad, if you can fly a CP heli, you should do even better.
A well set up quad is easy to fly, and that is the key, it must be well set up.
A lot of us learn to set them up as we learn to fly them, and that's when the problems occur.

I will have to put up some video of my 5 year old flying one at some stage.
He is still learning on a buddybox but he is getting there.
It's a bit hard to video while watching the quad and my son at the same time. :)

cml001

Finally off! 3 12hr days stretch is over! With the time change I have 35min of light to fly after work... So yesterday & today I stoped at this spot by work and I get 3 batteries of time.. Good times.. Yesterday had me guess'n cause I couldn't find the zone... AT ALL.. I felt like I was gonna be doin repairs.. But landed so whatever... Today.. Freak'n awesome! With the previous days flights I figured I'd get back on basics.. Forward and backward circuits & 8's... Then I worked on inverted backward orientations and circuits... Right handed was great... Transitioning into left handed seems sketchy.. But all in all a great couple flights today.. Also was doin long rainbows w hard pitches into them.. Tail seemed to drift on the negative pumps.. Pretty windy so I'm gonna call it on that.. Trans wind were hard soo.. But I feel good on sustained inverted flight today.. SCORE!

cml001

Well guess I was overdue! Got a call this morn'n that little man's butt was red & his rash cream was empty... So I said I bring some.. Droped what I was doin (house chores) & grabbed the 450 as well as the cream.. Figured I burn of the 3 batteries I had a charge on.. Don't like leave'n them charged and I had them ready from yesterday evening. Droped of the cream and got to the parking lot round the corner from daycare I fly at sometimes. Redwing roller ring is empty every day exept fri & sat nights.. So two packs to the good, little windy out.. Put in the 3rd & last pack.. 2 minutes in she's down... Hard! I think a link failed, but there no way to tell now.. It was getting out and I couldn't bring her back in as it rolled... Thought maybe the wind.. Then she shot down quick, fast, and in a hurry! I've said this for some time now in my adult life as to skateboarding... Concrete is NOT forgiving! Seems the same can be said about heli crashes! The usual damage.. Main shaft & blades.. One way, although all the gears are ok.. Canopy is toast.. Had the beater one on so no big deal.. Boom & TT.. Both frames where the battery tray mounts snapped... & busted up my battery... So. Now I get to rebuild the 450 while try'n to finish up the 550... Sucks! 1st incident since dec 16th... 4th on this bird.. And worse one. Had her for a good while so I'm not too upset.. It happens, track record isn't too bad.. Time to find some extra work tho... $$$$!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 11207
I've got 2 sets of blades... Align & rail.. Got the original canopy plus a new one like the one I crashes, got a boom, a main shaft... Gonna need a gear kit for one servo and new links all the way round, frame... Shouldn't be too bad.. I think id like to grab a cc 50 since I'll have it all opened up... Oh well.. Be on the sim for a couple weeks it seems.

Last edited:
Saturday I worked dialing in my gain values for the tail with my ikon. It was a long process but over about 3-4 packs I got it pretty solid and feeling like I have total control. Hovering is getting my better nose in and tail in is without thought at this point. I am buried in web development and school work this week so I might not get to fly until Thursday or Friday:whining:

This weekend I will definitely get my little camera man out for some video..... I plan on doing a video once a week to see improvements... Might not be a whole lot this week due to being so busy. We will see.

- - - Updated - - -

Well guess I was overdue! Got a call this morn'n that little man's butt was red & his rash cream was empty... So I said I bring some.. Droped what I was doin (house chores) & grabbed the 450 as well as the cream.. Figured I burn of the 3 batteries I had a charge on.. Don't like leave'n them charged and I had them ready from yesterday evening. Droped of the cream and got to the parking lot round the corner from daycare I fly at sometimes. Redwing roller ring is empty every day exept fri & sat nights.. So two packs to the good, little windy out.. Put in the 3rd & last pack.. 2 minutes in she's down... Hard! I think a link failed, but there no way to tell now.. It was getting out and I couldn't bring her back in as it rolled... Thought maybe the wind.. Then she shot down quick, fast, and in a hurry! I've said this for some time now in my adult life as to skateboarding... Concrete is NOT forgiving! Seems the same can be said about heli crashes! The usual damage.. Main shaft & blades.. One way, although all the gears are ok.. Canopy is toast.. Had the beater one on so no big deal.. Boom & TT.. Both frames where the battery tray mounts snapped... & busted up my battery... So. Now I get to rebuild the 450 while try'n to finish up the 550... Sucks! 1st incident since dec 16th... 4th on this bird.. And worse one. Had her for a good while so I'm not too upset.. It happens, track record isn't too bad.. Time to find some extra work tho... $$$$!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 11207
I've got 2 sets of blades... Align & rail.. Got the original canopy plus a new one like the one I crashes, got a boom, a main shaft... Gonna need a gear kit for one servo and new links all the way round, frame... Shouldn't be too bad.. I think id like to grab a cc 50 since I'll have it all opened up... Oh well.. Be on the sim for a couple weeks it seems.

Bummer about the crash man I hope you get flying again soon

Well I got the chance to run the heli and in my second pack my TT main mushroom gear stripped from the spindle.... Heli came down kind of hard but there is not too much damage. I have my parts on order and now the waiting game. I have read about this gear stripping and I am wondering if anyone has tried to put green loctite on the mushroom gear to help secure it to the spindle? That is what I am thinking of doing to try and prevent this from happening again.

Top Bottom