RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane

murankar

Staff member
Tony would you consider hooking the 2S batteries up so that you could double the maH? If not is it due to weight issues.

FIXED

yes I did mean you

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Did you miss the word "you" as the third word? If so, then that question makes sense lol.

I have not thought about putting the batteries in parallel. If I was to do that, then I might as well run a 3s pack and get even more rpm out of the motor and more power. When I designed this plane, I did so on the fact that I wanted to run a 2s setup with a high kv motor. Now, I just need to make that happen.

Crap, it just hit me, I don't have 6 XT60 to deans adapters. I will only be able to charge one battery at a time. Guess I'm putting deans on all of the batteries...

murankar

Staff member
Yeah I wasn't sure if it would be a bigger hassle than what it would be worth. I was also thinking that since you had the 2s packs it would be cheaper and enable to get a few extra minutes of flight time without breaking the bank. Yes a 3S would definitely be worth the investment.

Last edited:

EyeStation

[video=youtube_share;hYXiUJ8SUAY]http://youtu.be/hYXiUJ8SUAY[/video]
New updates to my Edge 540 after the first nose plant. 8x4 prop on the 1700 kV motor with 1100 3S LiPo. when powered up in the video the motor sound muted my talking. the motor was being run at nearly 50%. not enough to pull out of your hands, till about 75%. I think this will be more controllable than the 8x6 prop in the first flight.
Battery box is a snug fit that only gets tighter with the use of the battery. Larger motor mount to take advantage of the package contents of the Exceed Rocket motor.

Tony

Staff member
So the motor mount that is on the plans is not large enough for the motor mount that is included with the motor? Roger that. Get me the size of your motor mount (wood) that is on your plane now. I will see if I can get the plans edited for this. However I"m looking at a smaller motor for this plane, so might not make it to the plans. found a smaller one that should be great on this plane.

As for the EDF, I have two of them in the works, but not having much luck with them. And no time to do preliminary testing on them. And I dont trust them like I did on this Edge 540.

Derek

It looks great, Eyestation!!! Very nice! I'm looking forward to seeing some flight video from your experiences.

EyeStation

That would be a 40mm circle for the motor mount ply. Original in plans is 35 mm.
Here's a close up, mounted.
Motor Mount for Rocket 1700.jpg

Motor Mount for Rocket 1700.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Hey everyone. Thanks to some feedback from Derek, I have made a change to the RCH Edge 540. I was aware of this but completely forgot about it. On the KFM part of the wing, I have you remove a strip of paper. Well, that strip was not wide enough. I have now made that strip 3/4" wide and should be plenty to fold the kfm around the wing.

The size of everything is still the same. I did not adjust the size of the kfm like I thought I would. If the kfm doesn't reach to 50% chord or somewhere close, let me know and I will start editing once again.

I want to thank everyone that has flown this plane. With my schedule and all that is going on, I just don't have much time to do any flying. Keep the ideas coming!!!!

Derek

I have built a second RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane because I've had some great flights with the first build. The second build has the new, updated, suggestions like the wrap around leading Edge and the newly designed fuselage. It is really looking good. I've decided to keep the, underpowered, 1000kv motor and 10x5 prop installed on the first build because, although it is underpowered, it does fly and I still have fun with it. The second build will have the 2215 1700kv motor with an 8x4 prop. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new plane in the air.

For those of you that haven't built the RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane yet...check out the plans in the Store. They are free, simple to download and print out. I used two sheets of Dollar Tree foam board and some packing tape, clear and colored. It really is a cool little plane.

Tony

Staff member
Here is my update on this plane. As you know, or should know, this weekend I FINALLY put together my RCH trainer v3.1 and it was fantastic. So this morning when I was having my coffee, I decided to find my plans and cut out new pieces for this kit. Why new pieces? Two reasons. First, the RCH Trainer was warped really bad because of sitting for so long. I didn't want this. and second, I tossed the original plane in the trash.

I could not for the life of me remmeber why I put the plane in teh trash when we moved. But as I was tracing out the fuse on the foamboard, it hit me. I had to make a sharp corner where the fuse goes up into the rudder, and I knew the new plans had a rounded corner there as it should. so, I grabbed the old plans and tossed them.

From there, I downloaded the plans right off of the forum (yes, I used the exact plans that you guys can download) and printed them right out from my web browser. The ONLY change I made to the printing was I went with fast normal. Don't use Fast, because it will actually cause issues with everything lining up.

Great, have the plans in hand, now I need my paper cutter. Um, I have no idea where my paper cutter is lmao. Figures. So, I grabbed my ruler and my exacto and went to town.

After about an hour, I had the plans taped together and all of the pieces cut out (paper only). I'm at the point now where all I need to do is lay the paper out on the foam board and start cutting. I'm going to use the exact same motor that is on my trainer on this plane. On the trainer, my 1300kv plane with a 10x5 prop had more than enough power. However, this is on a 3s setup, so I will be first testing this with a 1000mah 3s battery. If I'm happy with it, then I will put that on the plans.

If I'm not happy with it, then I'm going to order another motor for this plane. If I have to order a motor, then I'm going with a 2s setup. As stated before, I HAVE to use those batteries lmao.

If any of you have any suggestions, post them up. This plane, since i have not flown it, is still in the beta stages and I can do just about anything with the plans. All I need is the ideas.

If all goes well, I will have the parts cut out and ready for this plane to be put together this weekend. Here's hoping lol.

Derek

I'm curious to see how your plane performs on a 2S setup. I simply stayed with the 3S because it's what I have. Good luck, Tony!!

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure with a high enough kv and a small enough prop to spin it the right rpm, it will work just fine. But, I will keep you guys posted on how everything goes. The first plane is going to be 3s, just to make sure I like it. Then, it's time to start playing with teh power setup.

Derek

That's awesome, Tony! I'm eagerly awaiting to see what you can do with this plane. I've seen what it can do in my hands, so I'm sure that it will perform well for you.

Tony

Staff member
I don't know about that lmao. Seems just when I'm starting to get my fingers to do what they are supposed to, I have to quit flying for some reason or another lol. But, I'm sure that I can put this plane in the air and make it do something. However that "something" may be lawn darting that sucker into the ground...

Derek

Well, even though I feel that my 540 is underpowered, when I switch to high rates, the elevator has more than enough throw to recover. I've had my plane heading nose first towards the ground but I still have yet to "lawn dart" it. It really is an awesome plane. I really like it and I enjoy flying it.

Tony

Staff member
Found my glue sticks :yahoo:

Putting this plane together today. Hope for a maiden later today...

Tony

Staff member
Hey everyone, I"m working on some Side Force Generators (SFG's) for the Edge 540 and need your opinion. The one that I'm thinking about is in the picture below. It's very simple and should work great. If you have a different design that you would like to see on the wing, let me know by posting a picture of a drawing of what you are looking for. Once we have a few of them to test, Derek and I will start testing them to see what one works best and looks the best.

the design below is made so that the sharp point faces the rear. I may end up making the front point a little larger, I'm not sure yet.

SFG.jpg

SFG.jpg

Top Bottom