RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane

Tony

Staff member
Hey everyone, I designed the SFG's above just by going into my program and drawing them up. However, when I did a search, this is pretty much the design of them all. So, because of that, I went ahead and added them to the plans. They are ready for download now and are located on page 2 of the plans.

I also went in and made a change to the wing. I had never built this plane, and when I did, I saw that the wing was ripping when you folded it over. I have taken out the problem piece.

I have also made a change where the top piece matches up to the front piece. There is no longer a very small tab that is easily ripped off. This will allow you to trim the fuse and make it perfectly even.

If any of you have suggestions on what this plane needs changed, let me know and we will test it out and put it on the plans if it works out great.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
Lookin' good there Tony! Should be interesting to see how much of a difference they may make. I added some to a profile Extra 300 I built one time and they definitely changed the way the plane handled in knife edge. Sometimes they need a bit of tweaking to get 'em just right. I believe the ones I made were mounted mid wing, so I have yet to try ones on the wing tips. May have to give this one a shot sometime soon!

Tony

Staff member
Yes you should lol. YOu can put these on teh wing and not on the tip if you want. Just use the wing to trace out the shape of the wing, then cut it out. That will allow you to move them in. I have always liked them on the tips though.

I'm hoping I can make it to the store and get some more foam board here soon. Then, I will make this plane again, and put these winglets on the plane and see what happens.

Derek

Well, it sounds like we are progressing right along with this one. I'm looking forward to flying again this week.

Tony

Staff member
I thought I would put them out there and see how many people use them and what they think about them. Hoping you get yours up in the air soon and see if it made a difference to the flight.

EyeStation

Yeppers, the white on white is dirt cheap. $1-$2 for a 20"x30" sheet. Get into the color backing and the price can get near $6 a sheet.
I get mine from a craft store around the midwest called "Micheal's". I have also seen these sheets at the local Jewel/Osco food and drug store.

Derek

Yeah, the Dollar Tree foamboard is cheap. I've also seen it at Dollar General Stores. I've heard bad things about using the colored foamboard for planes. The white is just much more manageable.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
That's what I've been building with for awhile. Seems to be really popular in certain circles of flyers and unheard of in others. Good, cheap stuff. I tried the black colored version but it has a slightly different thickness and the paper backing is not as strong. One of my favorite planes to build with this stuff is the OSG, or one sheet glider. It's a 60" wingspan motor glider built with only one 20x30" sheet of foamboard. Only one sheet! Fuselage and everything! Anyway, I've got to get around to building this edge. I might have to make it match the color scheme of my 3dhs edge :)

Top Bottom