RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane

llommel

Hopefully this week if the golf game doesn't get in the way. Finally getting some decent weather up here.

:butterfly:

llommel

RCH 540 ready for maiden flight.
RCH540 3 (640x480).jpgRCH 540 4 (640x480).jpgRCH 540 5 (640x480).jpg

Maiden flight ended up with a broken prop but no other damage.
It will live to fly again.
Plane seems to fly well but it's really quick for my flying skills. lmao

RCH540 3 (640x480).jpg

RCH 540 4 (640x480).jpg

RCH 540 5 (640x480).jpg

Tony

Staff member
VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chuckles:

With controls that large, it is made to fly very slow and respond very aggressively. Takes a few flights, some adjustment to your DR/Expo until you get it feeling the way you want. Glad it flies well. Now, I just need to finish mine lmao.

On the wing, did you build it from the latest plans where you wrap the kfm4 around, or did you cut separate pieces?

Derek

Video! Video!!!

On the other hand, if I see a video of this plane in the air...it will push me that much more to make one. I've already got 7 planes that are waiting on electronix, lol. I'm so obsessed, lol.

llommel

I used the wrap around method for the airfoil, it makes a lot nicer leading edge & is much easier to do.

What D/R expo would you recommend to start with? I had the set at 30%.
Might have to cut back on the travel adjustments.

Tony

Staff member
On something like this, at 100% throws, you should be getting 45º throws with all control surfaces. Then, I would set your DR at about 50% with 30% expo. That should make it more manageable for the first few flights.

llommel

Will give it another try with Tony's suggestions when the weather clears up.
Kinda wet & windy around here for the next couple days according to the forecast.

llommel

Gave the 540 another try with Tony's suggestions. Finally got an evening w/o wind (just before the storms). Flew very well.
Sorry guys, no video. Had my camera mounted on my TX but battery went dead after about 30 seconds after turning it on.
Will have to wait for another day. I was amazed how well it flew & how easy it was to control with the toned down settings.

Tony

Staff member
It's great to hear that it worked out. This plane is more of a stadium flier where you are in an enclosed area. I'm sure this plane is going ot hate wind of any kind. Can't wait to get mine finished. Need to rebuild the wing on it though.

Tony

Staff member
Mt. Dew Dude, I know you were having an issue with printing out the file with the correct margins. Well I think I have fixed that issue. I have uploaded a new file where I have put red borders on the pages that need to be cut. Some pages have 2 sides that needs to be cut, some 3, and some 4, if you see a red line on the page, you need to cut it.

Download the plans and let me know what you think.

Tony

Staff member
Everyone, I'm happy to announce that this plane is now back in the store and ready to be downloaded! We are still trying to figure out what motor will work best with this plane, but we are close. From what I have seen from this plane, it is a GREAT way to get into 3D flying! Download your copy today, it only takes two sheets of foamboard to build it!

Derek

HA HA HA!!! This is fantastic news!!! I definitely feel that this plane is ready for others to download, build, and fly.

There is another member on the forum that has built one and his testing seems to be working well. I have two buddies that are building this plane (one of which just recently joined the forum). I have built two of these planes.

I don't have my "preferred" motor on my plane yet, but it does fly and it flies very well (preferred motor will be ordered soon).

Here is a list of parts that I have on my RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane:

Grayson Hobby 2212-13 1000kv brushless outrunner
10x5 APC prop
25amp ESC
4 - 9gram servos
3S 1100mAh 20C lipo (and I have a 3S 1350mAh 30C lipo that I've been using, too)

Two sheets of foam board, a bit of packing tape (I used colored packing tape on mine), a bit of hot glue, small piece of 1/8" plywood for the motor mount, 4 pushrods with "z" bends, and some popsicle sticks for the control horns (about 3/4" long"

I think this plane took me about 3 hours to make, from start to finish and I really enjoy flying it.

Tony and I have been talking about different motors to be used with this plane. The 1000kv motor that I have on my plane right now does work on this plane but it doesn't "perform" as well as I'd like it to "perform". Tony suggested the Exceed RC Rocket brushless 2215-1300kv motor from Hobby Partz. Unfortunately, they are always out of stock. There is also the Exceed RC Rocket brushless 2215-1500kv motor, but again, out of stock. So, after talking with Tony some more, I'll be ordering the Exceed RC Rocket brushless 2215-1700kv motor and I'll use an 8x4 prop. I'll probably order a 40amp esc just to be safe.

Good luck with your builds and I, personally, hope to see some more RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane videos.

here are a couple of mine if you want to look:

RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane Maiden Flight - YouTube

RCH 540 Test High Rates - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for that bro. I"m glad that I could put them back up in the store for others to download. It's a great plane, and just designing it, I knew it would fly well as long as it wasn't too heavy. If I can get a nice table to work at, I will be building mine on the V2 plans (I have the V1 cut out, but I want to try the new stronger wing that is easier to build). I'm not sure what motor I will put on it though. I'm thinking something smaller with a higher KV for 2s since I have a crapton of 2s batteries that I cant' use, and it will be lighter, and lighter means more fun as long as the wind is not blowing lmao. I will get it done some day.

RC MAN

Nice plane man, and good flyin to boot, aint it nice to put your own sweat and work in the air?
For me it is, Again GOOD WORK Dude

Derek

Thanks for that bro. I"m glad that I could put them back up in the store for others to download. It's a great plane, and just designing it, I knew it would fly well as long as it wasn't too heavy. If I can get a nice table to work at, I will be building mine on the V2 plans (I have the V1 cut out, but I want to try the new stronger wing that is easier to build). I'm not sure what motor I will put on it though. I'm thinking something smaller with a higher KV for 2s since I have a crapton of 2s batteries that I cant' use, and it will be lighter, and lighter means more fun as long as the wind is not blowing lmao. I will get it done some day.

You're welcome, Tony! I'd like to thank you for making these plans available for me to test out. I hope you get a chance to build this little bugger! It's a lot of fun! I know that you had intended on a 2S setup for this plane, but I don't have any 2S batteries, so I am using my smaller 3S batteries....so far so good!!!

Nice plane man, and good flyin to boot, aint it nice to put your own sweat and work in the air?
For me it is, Again GOOD WORK Dude

Thanks RC MAN!!! I appreciate the compliment! Yeah, it's awesome to build a plane, not a kit or ARF, and put it in the air and it works! It's just awesome!!! Actually, I have 13 planes in my fleet....all are scratch built foam board planes. Some are bigger, some are smaller...but this RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane is something very new to my fleet because it's my only 3D plane. I'd like to learn and progress into 3D....someday, and this plane just seems to be perfect.

I'll surely have more video to come!!!

PS....look Tony....a multi-quote post from your newest Mod, lol. ha ha ha

RC MAN

You're welcome, Tony! I'd like to thank you for making these plans available for me to test out. I hope you get a chance to build this little bugger! It's a lot of fun! I know that you had intended on a 2S setup for this plane, but I don't have any 2S batteries, so I am using my smaller 3S batteries....so far so good!!!

Thanks RC MAN!!! I appreciate the compliment! Yeah, it's awesome to build a plane, not a kit or ARF, and put it in the air and it works! It's just awesome!!! Actually, I have 13 planes in my fleet....all are scratch built foam board planes. Some are bigger, some are smaller...but this RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane is something very new to my fleet because it's my only 3D plane. I'd like to learn and progress into 3D....someday, and this plane just seems to be perfect.

I'll surely have more video to come!!!

PS....look Tony....a multi-quote post from your newest Mod, lol. ha ha ha

Now try to build a heli like that, It would be awwsume,
Scratch built Heli

RC MAN

Nawww, not from foam board man,

Like this.
I know it doesnt fit in here, but Im workin on a plane too, RCH 540 3D Edge, I probably wont be able to fly it, but building is one is more fun anyway.

IMG_1270.JPG

Tony

Staff member
getting really close to deleting posts by getting off topic here... My finger is hovering.

I have been looking at motors, and I think I found the one that I'm going to use. It's a 3000kv motor and I think it will pair well with like a 6x3 prop or there abouts. Should be wicked fun on a 2s setup, and still be very light. Like I said, I have a crapton of 2s batteries that I really need to use if they are even still any good. All of them have Xt60's on them, so I will have to convert then over to Deans, or just use my adapter and say screw buying all of those deans plugs lmao.

I will get it built, that is a definite, it's just when that is the question.

Top Bottom