600 Picked up my 550e finally

xokia

Finally received this thing yesterday in the mail.

0E775A9F-65C9-4D35-8573-84290651B945-1156-000000BB48356270_zps7facd504.jpg

E5B08290-822B-4AFE-BFB6-0B9DE17B7AD5-1156-000000BAE0EDA1C0_zpsd30607d7.jpg

01E04A38-FFFC-402E-9652-F5DA538A13C2-1156-000000BAC704254A_zps901e6602.jpg

Beast of a motor barely fits in the frame.
06EB8D02-B667-4628-B203-A67E5AC044A9-1156-000000BAB9BE6F39_zpsd4a866dd.jpg

Not a huge fan of the design. They could have done a better job with it. Like inverting the motor widening the frame, use a battery tray and add an additional motor bearing support. Maybe they are saving that for another release. Seems kinda cheesy to me to issue a new heli when all that changed was the gears and motor.

Last edited:

heli-maniac

Hell if your going to gripe and complain about it then just send it to me ill fly the crap out of it

Yep that big motor is tight sad thing is they made the frame wider for just that and its still a tight fit
The box says its a 550e dfc but its not its the 550e pro the pro is the only one with the 730 motor

xokia

The box didn't change either. The blades they have in the picture aren't the blades the come with the helicopter. Those are the older style blades.

What did you do about the bottom canopy clamp? It's kinda lame I'm not going to be out ther with an Allen wrench screwing my canopy down each time I want to fly. Does anyone make a better clamp?

xokia

Ok took the 550 for its maiden flight. This helicopter likes lots of head speed. I was trying to fly at 2200 rpm and it felt sluggish. Bumped it up to 2500 and this thing really starts to wake up but I run out of gov room. The motor doesn't even get warm to the touch so I know there is lots of untapped power potential in this thing. I'm gonna get the 17T and try 2600 rpm governed.

Next issues is the talon esc scares me. It has no logs for me to check to see how it's doing. So I'll probably get a 160 HV for my 700. And move the 120 HV to my 550.

heli-maniac

Yep the Talon holds it way back
I had to go up one tooth on mine to get the head speed up when the talon was on mine and it was still a dog
but when i put the yep 100a on it it really came alive
so i would start with the esc first

xokia

Yep the Talon holds it way back
I had to go up one tooth on mine to get the head speed up when the talon was on mine and it was still a dog
but when i put the yep 100a on it it really came alive
so i would start with the esc first
Yea I just get frustrated with align when they sell an almost great product and then pair it with in inadequate ESC. Its almost as if they are setting you up for failure. They did the same thing with the 700e stuck a 120 esc in a heli that should have had a 160. I dont really enjoy spending my money on parts that immediately need to be swapped out :(

I'm gonna buy a 18T pinion and see how this thing does. I am dreading tearing the 700 apart to get the 120 esc out of it.

heli-maniac

Man thats a heck of a jump from the v2 its a 11 tooth pinion on the 112 main gear
that 730mx motor must not really like a 6s setup if they are putting a 16 tooth pinion on it to get it to spend those blades .
If you over work the talon it will fail the leads will come undone from the esc so dont push it

xokia

Man thats a heck of a jump from the v2 its a 11 tooth pinion on the 112 main gear
that 730mx motor must not really like a 6s setup if they are putting a 16 tooth pinion on it to get it to spend those blades .
If you over work the talon it will fail the leads will come undone from the esc so dont push it
It's an 850kv motor so needs the larger pinion to get the head speed required. The Talon doesn't even have data logging so no clue if I'm over loading it. I guess I can watch the temps and see how it does. I'm gonna stick the 18T in it to get the head speeds up the see how the Talon does. I know it's inevitable I'll be sticking my 120 ESC in this heli.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Where did you get that canopy clamp? Looks easier than the snap on one that I have on the 600.

xokia

Where did you get that canopy clamp? Looks easier than the snap on one that I have on the 600.

It's the options clamp link post on prior page. I tried the stock clamp that think was so stiff I felt like I was gonna crack the canopy each time I put it on. This one is spring loaded and makes putting the canopy on and off MUCH easier. It's kinda spendy but SOOoooo worth it.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the one that I Have just pushes on and your right, it's tight. However, you can round over the landing gear to make it a bit easier.

So when is the maiden????

xokia

Yeah, the one that I Have just pushes on and your right, it's tight. However, you can round over the landing gear to make it a bit easier.

So when is the maiden????

The options clamp just makes it so much easier and with no fuss. I like things that work as designed.

I have flown this heli a few times already my camera person is on strike. Its a nice heli but the head speed is to slow IMO. It maxes out at 2500 RPMs ungoverned and that's when it just starts to wake up. I need to get a larger pinion for it, which no one currently makes so I can run a goverened 2500 rpms. And then I also need to take the castle 120 HV off my 700 and stick it on the 550. Then buy a CC 160 HV for the 700. I'm going on Sabatical here soon so the heli stuff will have to wait.

Top Bottom