600 Picked up my 550e finally

pvolcko

Yeah. More current draw is expected. But there should be a good torque and power boost that comes with it.

xokia

Yeah. More current draw is expected. But there should be a good torque and power boost that comes with it.
I was expecting "some" additional current. but I easily bump into the insensitive current limit of 180 amps on my edge 120ESC. Also the temps were quickly rising and I didn't even really push it that hard. I will try a real flight later this week then maybe try going down to 13T. The power increase was definitely there! KDE is a beast of a motor.

Last edited:

Lee

I've been contemplating that motor for my Gobby 570. But as you said, its a beast. Max current is 139A with burst of 250A for 2 seconds. Def need the 160HV for that one.
My other options are the Scorpion 4025 1100KV or the Compass 6HV Ultimate motor.

cml001

Wow.. KDE suggest a 14 tooth pinion w a 80HV ESC... Well on the 850kv motor.. U got the 1100kv... Still should be close tho.... The u have what ESC? 120hv? Weird bruh!

Last edited:

xokia

KDE doesn't make a 850kv unless its an old discontinued motor I don't know about. They make a 530kv which is intended to run on 12S. Starting to think I should have gone 12S

cml001

That's what I meant... Type'n in the align kv rating... Sorry... Yes 530kv... But r u say'n the 120hv isn't strong enough? really?

pvolcko

On the KDE 600XF 1100kv no 120HV, sadly, is not enough. 160HV may well run into current limiting too, but it will likely handle it for all but the most aggressive uses (pro 3D, speed heli). The motor is rated at 139A/250A. 120HV can't even safely keep up with the continuous draw potential of that motor, much less the peak draw.

On the 530kv version of the motor the 120HV would be a solid choice. The motor is rated at 88A/170A.

Lee

I heard from KDE that they are coming out with a Goblin 570 specific motor. This will probably be the perfect motor for the Trex 550 too.
Not sure when, but i may wait for that for my Gobbler

pvolcko

Their new third gen 600XF 530kv is pretty much spot on for a 600/650 heli at 12S. 120HV esc and you're good to go. The 570 is more or less a 600. Not sure what else they'll come up with that will fit that bill.

cml001

So I'm dumb as far as electric stuff is concerned.. But I'm learn'n.. Would it be different if you ran 12s with that KDE motor and a 120hv ESC?... How does this work exactly?

xokia

So the 1100 KDE does not pull a continuous 139 amps. That would deplete the battery in nothing flat. It pulls roughly 40 amps. Keep in mind I'm also running a high head speed for a 550.

Running on 12S I would run the 530 motor. When you double the voltage you halve the current. The overall system runs significantly more efficient and cooler.

Someone will likely get a killer deal on a brand new 1100 with one flight on it when I put this one up for sale.

Lee

So the 1100 KDE does not pull a continuous 139 amps. That would deplete the battery in nothing flat. It pulls roughly 40 amps. Keep in mind I'm also running a high head speed for a 550.

When they say continuous, they mean what the motor is capable of pulling continuously without damage, not what it will run at in normal flight.
So for us general pilots, as you say its only running at 40A. But for the hard core boys it may be running closer to that 139A.

xokia

When they say continuous, they mean what the motor is capable of pulling continuously without damage, not what it will run at in normal flight.
So for us general pilots, as you say its only running at 40A. But for the hard core boys it may be running closer to that 139A.

I'd be really surprised if the pros even pulled that. You really need to be on the collective hard to get a spike. No one is on collective that much.
What the number tells me is that being able to handle 139A continuous this motor isn't going to break a sweat at anything you can throw at it.

Its a beast of a motor. The 730mx is a decent motor but when you start throwing repetitive tik toks at it you can hear the head speed slow down and it almost sounds like its running out of air. With the KDE the thing just sounds pissed off and doesn't skip a beat.

xokia

So I ordered my 12S KDE motor today should be here early next week. I will be posting my 1 flight old 6S KDE up for sale for $160 likely next week sometime. Feel free to ping me if interested and look for it in the for sale section.

I'll be sure to update this thread once I get the 12S in there. Just need to order some new batteries now to :(

Lee

Very tempted to try your KDE, but i think i'm coming to the same conclusion, and going 12S.

pvolcko

Tempted too. I have a 160HV laying around here I could use. Problem is I need to figure out what pinion I need, and also need to take some measurements to see if it will work. I'll ping you later today if I can use it.

xokia

New motor showed up today. If its a trex 550 with 112 main gear you need 14T for 2500-2600 governed rpms. I could give you the part number if you need it. I'm gonna have a 3S KDE 450 motor up for sale soon to I picked up the 6S version.

95F3E440-0578-484D-AD56-DBFA9C84BDE7_zpsh4b4mxsp.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom