600 Picked up my 550e finally

xokia

The pinion should be fine just take the Talon 90 off it and put a real esc on it it will wake up
I agree the ESC needs to be replaced. But in order to run a governed 2500 rpms I need a bigger pinion otherwise I'd have to run flat out no gov.

heli-maniac

what i am saying is the talon is so bad that you will get more head speed with a good esc
mine picked up head speed buy just putting the yep 100a esc
and 2500 is a lot im at a flat 80% tc and right under 2400 and got more if i want it

xokia

what i am saying is the talon is so bad that you will get more head speed with a good esc
mine picked up head speed buy just putting the yep 100a esc
and 2500 is a lot im at a flat 80% tc and right under 2400 and got more if i want it
I tried 2400 didnt really like it. I prefer a snappy heli I think my 700 spoiled me in how responsive it is. 2500 was just acceptable to me I'd prefer 2600 if possible. Maybe with 550 blades you can run those lower speeds and get the snapiness. I have the 520 blades, once the align blades get in stock I'm gonna order a set of 550s.

Tony

Staff member
You really don't want to go over 2550rpm on teh 550. Any more than that, and you put a lot of stress on the roots of the blades and the bolts in the feathering shaft.

heli-maniac

I tried 2400 didnt really like it. I prefer a snappy heli I think my 700 spoiled me in how responsive it is. 2500 was just acceptable to me I'd prefer 2600 if possible. Maybe with 550 blades you can run those lower speeds and get the snapiness. I have the 520 blades, once the align blades get in stock I'm gonna order a set of 550s.
That was with the 520 blades and with the 600mx motor now with the scorpion motor it will flat out spin the heck out of 520 blades
if you go watch my last video of the 550 with the scorpion you can here it scream when i first went to IU2 and that was at 90% than i dropped it to 80% to finsh the first flight
im going to 556 rail blades and 600 boom on my re build

xokia

That was with the 520 blades and with the 600mx motor now with the scorpion motor it will flat out spin the heck out of 520 blades
if you go watch my last video of the 550 with the scorpion you can here it scream when i first went to IU2 and that was at 90% than i dropped it to 80% to finsh the first flight
im going to 556 rail blades and 600 boom on my re build

How you liking that YEP? I was gonna buy a YEP for my trex 450. I bought a KDE motor for it problem is no one has a program card in stock. Do you have one? Any chance you could loan yours out if I paid for shipping to me and back to you? Also they dont list dimensions for the YEP ESCs that I could find. I was thinking of buying the YEP 80 for my trex 450 with the KDE.

- - - Updated - - -

You really don't want to go over 2550rpm on teh 550. Any more than that, and you put a lot of stress on the roots of the blades and the bolts in the feathering shaft.
I've seen plenty of people posting they are running 2600 rpms with the 550. Where did you get the info?

The bigger blades might allow me to run lower rpms but they are back ordered everywhere. So I wont know until I get a set. Align seems to have distribution problems. Everyone buys these new helis, but one crash and then they are down until Align supplies everyone with stock.

Last edited:

heli-maniac

I love the YEP escs I have them on the Warps also the yep 45a is whats on them and they do great on 6s
and the 45a fits in the frame of the warp and its thinner than a 450 . dont know why you would need a 80 for
Yes i have the programing card and I might loan it out

are you stuck on buy the Align blades
Revolution blades are awesome and go for around 60.00

xokia

I love the YEP escs I have them on the Warps also the yep 45a is whats on them and they do great on 6s
and the 45a fits in the frame of the warp and its thinner than a 450 . dont know why you would need a 80 for
Yes i have the programing card and I might loan it out

are you stuck on buy the Align blades
Revolution blades are awesome and go for around 60.00
I was thinking the YEP 80 because the KDE 3S is rated for 66 amps continuous. The 45 didn't seem like it would be enough. I got the KDE for $60 its the only reason I am staying 3S. If I dont like it I could always move to 6S later. The YEP 80 is like $35 you cant go wrong there just need a dang program card.

For the blades I would like to stay align. The only reason is because I'm in no hurry, I have other helis to fly and the 520's aren't that bad. They just don't have the pop I like with the current head speed. Maybe when I swap in the CC 120 that will change.

xokia

Found a set of 550 blades at my LHS :) picked up the edge 160 also. So now just need to yank the edge 120 out of my 700 not looking forward to that.

279DB28E-3405-49B7-8679-1F20BE61442C-6013-00000320AEFB8794_zps3fa0f694.jpg

murankar

Staff member
It must be nice just to have a hobby store near by period. I would take a crappy one over nothing.

xokia

It must be nice just to have a hobby store near by period. I would take a crappy one over nothing.
Honestly I prefer to shop online. They rarely have the parts I need anyway and have to order them for me which I can do that myself.

I did finally get my 550 back together with the CC 120 from my 700. I have yet to fly it other then hover it in my front yard. I also finally got my 700 back together with the CC 160. Was a ton of work. This last weekend was like a heli repair shop. Even had the 450 apart in order to stick the new KDE motor and CC50 in it.

xokia

out with the old in with the new. Hoping to get a gov 2500 rpms surprisingly the 730mx "looks" beefier then the KDE.

1480CC49-35BC-4920-B762-EE337C0B036A_zpsxklf4y30.gif

Last edited:

pvolcko

Ohh yeaaas.

I've been thinking about picking up a KDE motor for my 550X or maybe the TRex 700. Look forward to your review and some data plots to compare to the 730mx. The manufacturing and design on these things looks fantastic from the vids the KDE guys put out. Have never seen one in the flesh, though.

xokia

Ohh yeaaas.

I've been thinking about picking up a KDE motor for my 550X or maybe the TRex 700. Look forward to your review and some data plots to compare to the 730mx. The manufacturing and design on these things looks fantastic from the vids the KDE guys put out. Have never seen one in the flesh, though.

The motor is a beast but I am now starting to have second thoughts on selling the 730mx. The KDE is pulling significantly more current. I should get some flight time in this weekend and see how things go. I am running 14T pinion and gov 2500 rpms. I may need to drop down to 13T. You can definitely tell the power difference between the KDE and the Align.

The graph below was just a couple tick tocks and short rainbows in the street in front of my house.

550_kde_zpse1523031.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom