600 Picked up my 550e finally

pvolcko

I'd be putting it in a Blade 550X. :) This thing is gonna cook.

Problem is stock gearing is setup for 1350ish kv motors. They have some higher tooth count pinions, up to 16T, but I need 17.3 to get to the same headspeeds I'm running now. So I need to source a smaller tooth main gear. Looking like Lynx has an option for me. 133T main gear with 13-17T pinions. I could go with 14 and get a small bump in headspeed so I'd go with that.

I need to measure how much space I have in the canopy to fit the thing, though. I think the KDE is narrower than stock, but it is almost a cm taller. Also need to make sure shaft length is right.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you chop the shaft at all? Looks like the KDE motor stock length is over what I need so I'd be chopping, just need to make sure you didn't do it already. If you did, how much is there below the bottom plate of the motor?

- - - Updated - - -

Also is there a collar at the base of the motor on the shaft, or does it use a snap ring?

pvolcko

Can you measure how tall it is so I can see if it is going to screw with the gear mesh with the pinion up against it?

xokia

Can you measure how tall it is so I can see if it is going to screw with the gear mesh with the pinion up against it?
Its now posted in the for sale section but here are the measurements.

C1296A76-187C-4BE9-A653-AA6DB78AA8E2_zpsdxzczq5b.gif

6BB633D8-79E6-453E-9C81-1F79135A20B6_zpsxxx9znd1.gif

7FB40F91-ACA0-439F-946F-AB60433526CD_zpsguew53tx.gif

Hard to read this one 41.79mm

0CF3FC93-5E88-46F0-BA8B-F58A18DF087D_zpsiesfa5ml.gif

3207B0E1-A938-4443-AE98-B54673F41EA5_zps4n7veb7z.gif

Last edited:

pvolcko

heh. Cool. Look forward to the maiden vid!

I got all the parts for the 550X conversion to that KDE motor. I had a crash with it a month or two ago though. Have it repaired but need to find out why it is banking unexpectedly in some maneuvers before I do that. I checked the feathering shaft and repacked the thrust bearings when I had it all apart. I did a hand spin test on the main shaft while it was still installed, but didn't fire up the motor. Might have a slight bend there or something else causing a vibration.

xokia

Here is the first flight. I think I have the GOV gain up to high so it started to tail wag when I went from a hurricane into a funnel. Still need to dial this thing in but so far I like it.

initial flight - YouTube

First video was taken with a gopro and with its wide angle lens didn't turn out as good as I hoped. I think my Iphone took a better video :(

Last edited by a moderator:

pvolcko

Nice flights. Yeah, tail gain could stand to be lowered a little bit. Hurricanes are good, but the funnels are shuddering a bit in that first vid.

Didn't seem to have all that much let off/sag on being able to handle the harsh collective inputs on the rainbows and tic-tocs toward the end. Very nice.

How do you like the setup?

As for GoPro vid: I usually use the narrower field of view 1080p mode on the gopro to help tighten things up. I also edit in post to zoom in a bit, keep the heli centered and then render down to 720p instead of 1080p.

xokia

Nice flights. Yeah, tail gain could stand to be lowered a little bit. Hurricanes are good, but the funnels are shuddering a bit in that first vid.
Its not the tail gain that's causing this its to much GOV gain I moved it down from the first flight from 25 to 15 on the second flight. Just got back from the 3rd flight and moved it to 12 and it seems perfect now. In the first flight you can kind of hear the RPMs hunting. High torque motors need pretty low GOV gain. Even the 730mx you have to set pretty low.

Didn't seem to have all that much let off/sag on being able to handle the harsh collective inputs on the rainbows and tic-tocs toward the end. Very nice.
It's got plenty left in it I have my timer set to 5:30 and I land with 3.8v per cell left.

How do you like the setup?
So far I like it a lot you can make the thing float in the air on tik toks now or you can slam the collective on rainbows all the way through. I'm running 2600 governed rpms the entire flight except take off and landing. I'm still learning, it's really hard to go from a trex 450 to a 550 and then even a 700. Smaller heli takes much more collective and when you move to each bigger class its less and less collective. My mind knows it but my fingers don't always follow. Plus I still need lots of practice I don't sim bores me to tears.

As for GoPro vid: I usually use the narrower field of view 1080p mode on the gopro to help tighten things up. I also edit in post to zoom in a bit, keep the heli centered and then render down to 720p instead of 1080p.
I'll have to check the narrow field of view. I did zoom the video post recording. Other wise it would have been a dot in the sky.

I got all the parts for the 550X conversion to that KDE motor. I had a crash with it a month or two ago though. Have it repaired but need to find out why it is banking unexpectedly in some maneuvers before I do that. I checked the feathering shaft and repacked the thrust bearings when I had it all apart. I did a hand spin test on the main shaft while it was still installed, but didn't fire up the motor. Might have a slight bend there or something else causing a vibration.
The KDE is gonna be a beast hope you have good batteries. You sure you have the main shaft zeroed? Usually if my helis lean a little bit its because I need to rezero the swash to the main shaft.

Last edited:

pvolcko

It hovers okay. Tracks in FFF fine. The issue is on nose down, inverted portions of a negative pitch push rainbow. I have some video I'll have to get uploaded.

I need to adjust blade tracking a bit. That may be inducing some vibration and resulting in the behavior. I'm pretty sure the mainshaft is okay, but I'll pull the head and verify that too. Swash zero is fine. The link that i had to repair was a blade link, not a swash link. Servos are fine, no grinding or hangups. No reason the swash zero should have changed.

Top Bottom