Off Topic Chit Chat

Tony

Staff member
lmao. It's not about procrastinating. I will have it uploaded tonight regardless. Question is, do I publish it tonight, or schedule it for release later.... :chuckles:

Tony

Staff member
You might be addicted to RC if you use the blade of a propeller to stir in the water from melted ice in your tea... Yup, I just did that. Didn't want to get up to get a spoon. Made a nice, fresh, tall glass of ice tea then started shooting the video. The ice melted on me... lol

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
So my ice maker just went out in my fridge. And it continues...

I'm sorry and I feel for you Tony. Seem like if it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all. If it makes you feel any better, which it probably wont but we just found out that our central heating and air unit went bad in our house today. $4,100 - $ 5,000 what we have to come up with depending on what ton unit we want to installed to replace the old one.

trainrider06

Dang Ivan, that sucks! Thats home ownership for ya though....sounds like you need a friend in the A/C and heating business!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Dang Ivan, that sucks! Thats home ownership for ya though....sounds like you need a friend in the A/C and heating business!

Your absolutely right Rodney about home ownership. Just like everything else, you have to take the good with the bad. As for friends in the A/C and heating business, I've been out of the construction business over 7yrs now so my contacts are non existing. As most people know, construction is a feast or famine business. I had the chance to do very well through the Regan yrs til the housing market slow down alot 10yrs ago down here in Florida. All the wife and I can do is clean up the mess and keep moving on. Just another obstacle in our life that we needs to hurdle. All anyone can do is take it one day at a time as any situation occurs, good or bad.

leedude1

You got it boys, and money is always a concern no matter where you are. Bottom, middle or top. Learned real quick over the last year Its worth SH)(*& if your not around to enjoy it.

So worries about where the next buck is coming from, or how and when to spend it, all have solutions and for the most part with at least decent or suitable endings.

Take 'em all and smile, because there is worse, and worse has nothing to do with money. Surround your self with friends, family and the folk you care about. Because they can not be bought and are there regardless of the depth of your wallet.

Tony

Staff member
So here I am trying to make room on multiple different HDD's so that I can free up a lot more space. The issue is, I need another drive. I have a 1TB drive in my desktop as well as a 1.5TB drive, and in my NAS I have multiple drives that in all, only add up to just shy of 2TB. Then there is my Lappy that has a 700GB and a 1TB drive. But, even with all of these drives and servers, I still can not find a way to move files around so that I can put everything on one drive. Well, not everything.

Right now, I"m trying to take all of my files that are on my NAS and compress them to hopefully save some space. I have also added a 250GB drive to this NAS (but can't put it in with my RAID Z, dammit) so that one is clean. However, compressing all of these files is going to take over 4 hours according to the little popup on my screen.

I really need to order those 2TB drives and just create a REAL NAS that I can put anything on. Friggin money crunch... Anyone have any 2TB drives they want to get rid of? lmao. Pulling my hair out here (if I had any...).

Why am I doing all of this you ask? Because I need more space on the drives that I use to store and render videos to. Until I get this done, I can't do anymore videos. And I just received some new items in the mail yesterday that I must get videos done on. Not to mention the parts that are here for the Runner 250 that I need to install as well as all of the other videos that I have planned. This video stuff takes up way too much space lmao. And no, I can't just delete files. You never know when you may need them... Yup, I'm a digital hoarder...

RandyDSok

I've been playin with the camera again taking Moon shots after finding out about a trick to get the brightness of the Moon down to a decent level on the back screen while focusing. Before, I'd switch the camera to Live View which shows the subject on the back screen instead of using the viewfinder. This allows me to magnify the image in order to get a sharper image. The problem with a bright subject on a black background is that the image is very over exposed making the focusing pretty tricky since you can't see detail... you only have the edge of the subject to focus with and with the added glare... it made it a gamble on actually getting things in focus.

Then I found out that on my camera, I can use the exposure compensation ( typically only used in the various auto modes and not in full manual as I use for a Moon pic ) to bring the brightness down on the screen to a level close to what the actual picture's exposure settings I'm using. This allows me to actually focus on the details of the Moon instead of just the over blownout edges of the Moon.

In addition to that big help... I've also added some editing filters for my processing software ( Adobe Lightroom CS6 and/or Photoshop CS4 ) that gives me better sharpening another features than what is included by default. These addon filters also allow me to select what the intended output is for... ie the screen, a printer or a photo lab etc, so they are optimized for the intended output device. The addons are free called the Google Nik Collection.

Here is last nights Full Moon ( Oct 15, 2016 ) using 300mm ISO 100 1/125 sec at F14. I used the pre and post sharpening along with the denoise filters... this was optimized for about a 1500x1000 output but should be fine here since the forum will downsize it a bit.

DSC_1571-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-1.jpg

DSC_1571-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-1.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Randy. Like always, the wife loves your pics :arms: 2 reasons, being a wicken :yikes: she loves full moon nights and second because she said that the moon looks like a up side down cantaloupe with those lines in it. :2c:

RandyDSok

Hey Randy. Like always, the wife loves your pics :arms: 2 reasons, being a wicken :yikes: she loves full moon nights and second because she said that the moon looks like a up side down cantaloupe with those lines in it. :2c:

Thanks... and thank her as well of course. I always enjoy it when others get something from the pics... :)

I'm more into star pic's than Moon shots... so naturally I'd prefer a dark night since the Moon washes out the dim objects of the sky. My Moon shots are more a way to practice my focusing skills and try improving them... I do like the various Moon phases also, so don't take it wrong... but the Full Moon shows less detail than the others since there are no shadows cast across the craters.

Of course the Moon and Sky are just a part of natures wonders that i like... but I can take them from anywhere I'm at and since getting out to the countryside is limited... I take what I can where I can.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks... and thank her as well of course. I always enjoy it when others get something from the pics... :)

I'm more into star pic's than Moon shots... so naturally I'd prefer a dark night since the Moon washes out the dim objects of the sky. My Moon shots are more a way to practice my focusing skills and try improving them... I do like the various Moon phases also, so don't take it wrong... but the Full Moon shows less detail than the others since there are no shadows cast across the craters.

Of course the Moon and Sky are just a part of natures wonders that i like... but I can take them from anywhere I'm at and since getting out to the countryside is limited... I take what I can where I can.

Well done on the pics and keep them coming. She also loves all the beauty & mysteries of the sky, stars, planets and beyond.

RandyDSok

Tonight's Moon ( Oct 17, 2016 ) shows just a little bit of the terminator shadow up on the upper right side of this shot... The shadows of the craters help give the impression of the shot being more in focus than you'd get with a Full Moon pic... a nice side effect but is only an illusion

Continuous-.jpg

Continuous-.jpg

RandyDSok

I know you posted this before, but what lens are you using?

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm 1:45-5.6G ED lens ...

@ 300mm 1/125 sec F14 ( tonight ) - F16 ( during the Full Moon ) full manual ( auto WB )

Newest trick I found to help focus... Switch to Live View and the magnify as much as possible... if the screen is too bright, set EV ( exposure compensation ) to -5 ( or as much as needed ) ... the EV setting isn't used in manual but dims the back screen enough to allow you to see the details on the Moon or other bright subject ... The same trick works in reverse if you are taking star shots and need more light to help achieve a focus... is set the EV to +5 during the focusing

Tony

Staff member
Working on an old janky desktop computer that was just given to me. But, it has an ASUS Mobo, 4GB of ram and 4 SATA ports. Too bad it only has a 20GB IDE HDD lmao. Trying to get the ripped off version of Windows 8 off the computer (horrible and I purchase my crap) and I think I'm going to put XP on it then run vmware to run a few different OS's, including 8, ugh. But, need to do testing.

And this is the computer that is going to stay out in the studio so that I can quit lugging my lappy around. The fan just died on it and I only want to use it when I have to. So its' time for a dedicated computer for the studio... I can just save files on my NAS since it's all connected to a gigabit network and it has a gigabit NIC in it. Pretty sad when the network is faster than the HDD...

Top Bottom