Off Topic Chit Chat

Tony

Staff member
Yea, and I just saw the price of active adapters. I'm going to pass... I briefly read something about some standard that would dictate if you needed active or passive, but I'm sure my old ass computer isn't compatible lol.

Tony

Staff member
Anyone have a legit copy of Photoshop they want to get rid of? Also, I'm looking for a legit copy of Premier Pro as well. If you have any of these, let me know. They must be STAND ALONE products, not this cloud crap that everyone is going to!!!

RandyDSok

Other than just mentioning Gimp as a replacement for Photoshop... I'm not going to be much help. Of course, Gimp is just as complex as Photoshop but works differently, so it's learning curve is just as steep to do the same things. I know there is a similar open source replacement for Premier Pro but I can't recall what it's called at the moment since I've never been into that type of editing.

I can mention a couple of programs for raw photo editing/processing that are pretty good. One is called DarkTable and another is LightZone... both are decent replacements for Lightroom. I've moved away from both to a couple of paid programs called Luminar and On1 Photo Raw. I prefer the output of Luminar but the asset management ( DAM ) of On1 Photo Raw, both are under $100. I actually like both more than Lightroom for what that is worth.

Tony

Staff member
I did install Gimp and tried to give it a shot, but there are a LOT of features that are either missing or hidden. One of the main things I do is I create a layer, put a black inside glow on it and then turn the layer transparency to 0% which gets rid of the background, but leaves the black glow. I could not find this in Gimp. And even though Gimp can read .psd files, it can't hardly do anything with them. I have tried to use Gimp in the past and I got just as frustrated with it then as well lol.

Tony

Staff member
As for video editing, there are "free" open source options out there, but if you want to export in 2k or higher, you pay over $300, if you want multiple tracks, you pay over $300. They are free as long as you want to produce crap videos.... So IMO, they are not "open source", you are using a trial, all it's missing is the permanent watermark on what you render out of it...

Tony

Staff member
It seems that when I had the HDD issue a while back, it corrupted my files that I had for Adobe. I just so happened to have a backup copy of those files on a thumb drive along with my Microsoft office as well. You just have to love HDD issues... ugh. But I have photoshop, dreamweaver and illustrator, but I'm still looking for Premier.

murankar

Staff member
If I was there I could show you around gimp. There is a web site that has plenty of tutorials that teach you the interface.

I prefer gimp for doing illustrator type work. Inkscape is illustrator in open source.

Tony

Staff member
Yes sir, you are right, but nothing like the real thing lol. I did find a good copy that I had stashed away so I have all of those products again. Thankfully.

murankar

Staff member
I don't like the current business model for adobe and Microsoft office. I don't like the subscription based model. Then again at the moment its stopping pirating. Soon get it, just don't like it. I guess the reason for the pirating is because of the cost.

RandyDSok

At least MS Office is still available as a full purchase if you don't get the 365 version. I'm of the opinion it's less about piracy and more about making a continuous revenue stream for the companies doing it.

murankar

Staff member
I have been using Google docs more and libre office. Those do what I need to the extent I need. So I am happy.

Tony

Staff member
You know you have good internet when YouTube takes longer to process the video than it took you to upload the video. Loving It.

Tony

Staff member
And that is what I was showing while streaming my surveillance cameras AND a twitch stream lmao.

Tony

Staff member
You ever have one of those days where you just can't get motivated to do what you need to do? I'm there right now.

Top Bottom