Off Topic Chit Chat

Tony

Staff member
I have been playing with 7 since that is what RCH is on. I was going to use it for a NAS, but right now I just can't afford to get that many drives with adequate space. It will be a while before I'm ready to set that up. As for setting up FreeNAS, I have done that a few times with practice runs, just need 6 drives, hopefully 2TB+ so that I can set it up with Raid6. And the other issue, If I expand later down the road, I'm going to need a raid card or something to add more drives. Not that many ports on this little server. But by that time, I will have a proper NAS box.

RandyDSok

Ok... I found out some problems with your plan Tony...

FreeNAS is all in one... it runs on FreeBSD so it's not going to work in other Linux distro's. In addition, the recommended minimum amount of memory is 8Gb and that server currently only has 4Gb.

Tony

Staff member
You can run freenas in a VM, it's just not optimal. You are right about the 8gb ram though. I'm looking into that. But, the server I picked up from you will more than likely never see freenas on it. There is another program called unraid that does really well from what I have been reading for a nas solution. But to answer the first question, I already have vmware running on that server and it is doing fine, just running out of ram lol.

RandyDSok

Taking with my buddy Robert about the NAS options like FreeNAS, unraid and other ZFS file system utils... He said you don't want a Raid controller really.... the folks using them are flashing them so they only act as a JBOD controller only... the OS controls the redundancy but not very well if the drives are actually raided

Tony

Staff member
That is what I was talking about, just using the raid controller solely for the extra sata ports. But again, this is a ways down the road.

leedude1

I picked up my winter project, a used TREX 550 E Pro DFC. A new kit was to rich for my blood. and because I didn't build it, I'm going to spend the fall and winter pulling it apart , changing things and putting it back together. I wanted a bird that I could "play with" as I don't want to crash the Gaul if I can avoid it.
I know its going to happen at one point (crashing the Gaui) , but the availability of the parts for the 550 appears to be a little better. As I start to play on the mild 3d side of the fence I want test and attempt new maneuvers on the 550 and then apply to learning to the Monster :biggrin1:

I may post a video on calibrating the fixed end points for an AR7210bx , or AR7200bx for that matter with the Castle Talon 90, as It took me awhile to run through the multiple versions of what to do and honestly some are overly complex and I ran into some issues :confusion: that I am positive others will encounter as well.

Tony

Staff member
Things are okay. GPU died on my computer, trying to get the funds to replace that so that I can get back to work on some things. And no, not trucking. I will never drive a truck again.

leedude1

Well glad to touch base Tony... and to hear things are ok. Do you think there is a value to the calibration video or has this been done . and if so, probably going to need you guidance on how and where to put it.

another point why dont I see new posts when they come in, like on this forum and need to refresh or im advised by my phone Dinging in the background :biglaugh: is there a setting I can change to see these as they occur?

Tony

Staff member
Go to the link below to set your preferences on alerts and emails. If you are using Chrome, you can also click where it says Secure in the URL bar and click on Notifications and allow them. That will bring up a small box when there is a reply to a thread you are watching.

As for the video, make it. I meant to do it when I had Matt's helicopter, but never got to it.

https://www.rc-help.com/account/alert-preferences

leedude1

Thanks I set up the notifications so we'll give that whirl.
I also made the video for the Castle link Talon throttle end point calibration.. let me know where and how to put this up here.. I need you to talk stupid to me here Tony , this is not my strong point. :withstupid:

Tony

Staff member
You can either put it in the 550-600 section, the ESC section or the video section. Just for simplicity, make a new thread in the 550-600 section and call it good. and all you have to do is name it, fill in what it is about and just paste in the link to the video. the forum will do the rest.

RandyDSok

let me know where and how to put this up here.. I need you to talk stupid to me here Tony , this is not my strong point. :withstupid:

If you don't already have a Youtube ( or Google/Gmail ) account... create one... then upload the video to your Youtube account and finally provide a link to the video in a new post here in the proper forum area for the subject

leedude1

Lol ...no I said "Boys" because RDSOK also provided me some points for posting.. Ok next time Ill use gentlemen, guys or Ill refer to you specifically as " your impressiveness " , cause the water here now is friggin cold so if I was brave enough to get into the pool, you calling me "boy" would be the ultimate compliment. :biglaugh:

Top Bottom