No more flying for me !!!!

Well another major crash with my blade 450 FBL, no idea what happened, I lifted off nice and gently then.....SMASH... It just destroyed itself..

I'm pleased I took Lee's advice and read Tonys post on always recording flights, even if you never use them...because I wasn't going to on the first few packs...

Aftermath photos, video is following..

image.jpg

image.jpg

now the video

anyone got any clues as to what may have gone wrong...it took off OK...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

EyeStation

Damn! I wonder if Head speed is killing that thing? It looked like a link came off and shot negative pitch into the ground.
One thing Eye do see is your motor is getting plastic from the battery cover on it. I wonder if that could have been a root cause or not. Did your battery show signs of wear into the inner chemistry?

Damn! I wonder if Head speed is killing that thing? It looked like a link came off and shot negative pitch into the ground.
One thing Eye do see is your motor is getting plastic from the battery cover on it. I wonder if that could have been a root cause or not. Did your battery show signs of wear into the inner chemistry?

Hi Dave, everything happened a bit fast, when it got off the ground I just thought another good take off... Lol, didn't last long..

The blue on the motor was from the previous catastrophic crash when it pruned the cherry tree...lol, that battery has been discharged and not used now.. The battery off that crash is ok, no blistering, no heat... It's fine...

I've have already done quite a few flights before this one so I know the motor was fine..

Thanks for the comments

Slobberdog

Tony I know this might sound strange but I think that was just the wind, you only got it about a foot off the ground then held it there, it then just dropped because of the changing wind conditions, you have to be quick and have good collective management for the wind,

I know it looked like it went in quick but I recon it only looked that way cos of the short distance it traveled,

It went catastrophic because of the insane head speed you had it at, I don't think my pro DFC sounds that high pitched,

as it hit the ground the kinetic energy that thing was carrying had to go some where, and it looks like a link gave then the blades folded,

Sorry for your crash bro, they all hurt man, rebuild and fly.

Derek

That really sucks, Tony! It looks like there is some kind of aileron oscillation or something, just before it smacked the ground. I'm sorry to see it go into the ground again buddy!

Admiral

Hi Tony, very frustrating, I agree with Dave, something mechanical has happened and given it full negative pitch, I had similar happen with a 500 when a link broke, it went full positive pitch did quite a bit of damage and only just missed me. All I can suggest if you rebuild it, mount it on a test stand for the first flights to minimise the damage and video exactly what happens.IMG_2067 (Medium).JPG

Although I have never used a test stand with a FBL model, not sure what the effects of being tethered would be.

IMG_2067 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure about the wind Kev, i think it was a mechanical failure of some kind. Not sure though, it just went down so fast...

My throttle curve is 0, 40, 70, 70, 70
Pitch is 45, 51, 60, 73.5, 91

If this helps anyone....

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Tony, very frustrating, I agree with Dave, something mechanical has happened and given it full negative pitch, I had similar happen with a 500 when a link broke, it went full positive pitch did quite a bit of damage and only just missed me. All I can suggest if you rebuild it, mount it on a test stand for the first flights to minimise the damage and video exactly what happens.View attachment 12273

Thanks Keith, I've made a test bed copied off Derek's lazy Susan, and I ran it on there before I went out tonight only because I thought the tail was drifting... Although I didn't take it anywhere near half throttle it seems fine to take out...

I don't think I'll be rebuilding that bird, lol, it's hard to believe a few nights ago it was hovering beautifully, I was chuffed to bits with it...I'll put a YouTube link on from my laptop in a moment, you can see it's running great..

- - - Updated - - -

watch this video, its from a couple of nights ago.... perfect flying, perfect control...

- - - Updated - - -

That really sucks, Tony! It looks like there is some kind of aileron oscillation or something, just before it smacked the ground. I'm sorry to see it go into the ground again buddy!

thanks Derek, yeah its a mystery, as was the other crash. i think ill scap that heli now and save up and buy a BNF 450...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Slobberdog

Man that thing screams for 70% but looking at your throttle and pitch I will stick with my first thoughts! your hover point is right at your throttle drop off! as you can hear in the video it goes higher pitch noise just before take off, it looks like you might have been balancing on that 70% mark and just holding it on the wind! then hey you know the outcome,

Personally I use pitch 40-45-50-75-100 and throttle 0-40-75-75-75 on all my heli's for normal mode,

50% at mid stick is the norm and it allows you to be hovering just above mid stick in the range of your higher throttle setting,

Man that thing screams for 70% but looking at your throttle and pitch I will stick with my first thoughts! your hover point is right at your throttle drop off! as you can hear in the video it goes higher pitch noise just before take off, it looks like you might have been balancing on that 70% mark and just holding it on the wind! then hey you know the outcome,

Personally I use pitch 40-45-50-75-100 and throttle 0-40-75-75-75 on all my heli's for normal mode,

50% at mid stick is the norm and it allows you to be hovering just above mid stick in the range of your higher throttle setting,

thanks Kev, ive tried several different settings for throttle, all recommended by others as i dont really know myself, and i cant remember what the curves we set at when it was working great the other night... i shouldnt tamper...

damage so far is

main Blades
main gear, most of the teeth are gone....
feathering shaft
ball link missing from swash to servo....probably the cause of the crash
boom support arm
one of the cyclic servos completely gone, just turns freely, so 3 new servos (ill get better ones)

i think i should get a better FBL head and swash too if i rebuild it.

ive just looked at it on some video editing software frame by frame, unfortunately the camera was in HD at 30 fps so it doesnt capture what happened other than the tail turned to right before it dived into the ground... cant see anything fly off it with the slow capture rate...

wolfman76

I watched the first video then the second from few days ago you posted... head speed from the flight few days ago was nowhere near as high as it was just before that devastating crash I think that was the cause way too much stress on the swash and head it probably did throw the ball link off... do you have data logging on your esc to see what readings were just before?

Unlucky Tony:( crashes suck:(

Your right there Graham, I'd only just rebuilt it after the last crash a few weeks ago, and it was not pilot error...

I will rebuild it though with better parts...

- - - Updated - - -

I watched the first video then the second from few days ago you posted... head speed from the flight few days ago was nowhere near as high as it was just before that devastating crash I think that was the cause way too much stress on the swash and head it probably did throw the ball link off... do you have data logging on your esc to see what readings were just before?

Yes your right Kyle, head speed was different, I changed the curves the other day, and recorded some videos on YouTube now, the throttle was awful, made the motor rise and fall, so I change throttle curve to 0,40,70,70,70 because I couldn't remember what it was the other day.... The vid is on my YouTube channel, link in sig below

No I don't have any data from the ESC, it's just the stock blade ESC..

The elevator ball link is missing and the same servo is totally trashed, the horn just turns on the spindle..

wolfman76

Could be your cause right there along with too much rpm probably didnt help throttle curve sounds ok but maybe sumthin also happen to the esc causing the extreme motor rpms shouldn't have been that high at 70%

murankar

Staff member
Yeah your head speed was why high. Maybe go to a lower pinion to help reduce the head speed.

I think you may have thrown a link.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

I've been looking at the Tarot 450 pro V2 kits, I may buy one of those and start again, they look well made, and the reviews/YouTube videos look good too...I'll just start again I think.... This blade has taken some beatings now.

"I'll be BACK"

Slobberdog

If you want a good quality kit and some spares at a good price look at my 450 DFC in the for sale section, see what you think,

Lee

That was a beauty of an egg beater Tony :(
Can you tell me the KV of that motor.
And the pinion and main gear tooth count.
Your Headspeed was sounding super high.

That was a beauty of an egg beater Tony :(
Can you tell me the KV of that motor.
And the pinion and main gear tooth count.
Your Headspeed was sounding super high.

I'm not sure of the motor Lee, I bought the heli second hand in January and was told it was the upgraded motor, I think it's a 440kv... The main gear is the stock one, I've replaced that 8 times...lol, this was when it was a FB heli...

All the writing on the motor has wore off.

Top Bottom