600 Kyosho Nexus 30 S-type-S

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
I just purchased one of these old antique Heli's for $80.00 and it has everything intact except the landing skids. Allthe electronics are in good shape to by just looking at them. I haven't powered them up yet.

View attachment 588

Tony

Staff member
If I remember correctly, that is the same heli that Dave Herbert just did a video about. Seems like a nice heli. Let us know how it flys.

Tony

Staff member
You don't know who Dave Herbert is? THE Night Flyyer? Check him out on youtube. Username is nightflyyer I think. Great guy.

And yea, I was into gas back when I was racing. Hated tuning those things all day lol. The key to remember, you always want to see smoke. If you dont' see smoke, it's too lean. And, if the humidity changes, you need to retune it. The humidity will have more of an effect on the motor than the ambient temp.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Thanks, I'll check Dave out. Yup, I'll need to get out the ole google search and find out what I need to do to get the engine running. It also has a 8 channel Futaba FM receiver on it. The Heli was in storage for about 3-4 years so I had to blow out all the dirt daubers and WD40 all the linkages to get the rust off. I took it almost completely apart last night to clean it up and do minor repairs. I'll have to go back through and loctite everything this evening. I'm gonna try and fire up the engine this evening if I have time. I have to go by the LHS and get a glowplug battery and some fuel. The engine is on my work bench at the moment. Here is what it actually looks like.

View attachment 589

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
I got the engine running tonight or morning. What a mess, it spit fuel all over my work bench, it seems like it will do what it is suppose to. I went back tonight and got the power box which includes a 12 volt battery, a starter, blade balancer, a glow plug ignitor, a few spare parts, and I also got a Futaba T9CAP transmitter. The Heli came with a 8 channel Futaba receiver, all of it is FM.

I think the guy was trying to play a trick on me When I first started the engine he had the starter plugged in backwards. The neg to the pos, so the DA I am I started the engine backwards and it ran just fine. I noticed the main rotor was turning backwards and I thought what the heck???!!! Then I remembered from the days of the string planes and Cox engines that the engines will run either way. So, I reversed the leads and started it the other direction. I ran it for a while with just the flybar paddles and it seems like it has a lot of power.

I'm going to have to make some adjustments to the paddles cause it vibrates a good bit. Not a whole lot but more than I like.One good thing is it ran all the bugs out of my shop.

So, thats it for now, I'm taking off work tomorrow just so I can play and stuff... lol.

Keith

So, I reversed the leads and started it the other direction

I might try that on my electric motors.....

Hey... it did not work... The leads just caught fire and burnt my house down...

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Ha Har... I dont think it works on electric motors..

By the way the guy I bought the Heli from has two Humongus nitro powered airplanes for sale one is ready to fly for $150.00 and the other looks like a racer with no hardware for $100.00 that does not include shipping. The wing span on both are close to 6'. I have pictures if any one is interested.

Tony

Staff member
Did you over rev it or something? I have never thrown a rod, ever. I did break a crank though, but that engine was heavily modified and spinning about 20k more rpm than it was supposed to lol. Pics or it didn't happen lol.

Tony

Staff member
When you go to replace that rod, I would get a new piston and sleeve as well. Then, break in the motor per OS suggestions. OS is one of the best engines there is, and I have won many races with those engines. But, you have to break them in correctly. If you think you made a mess before, just wait until you break in a motor with a gallon of fuel running stupid rich lol.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Anybody tell me what the thickness is of a blade is at the hub of a 600? Trying to find a set of carbon fiber blades for my Nexus 30.

Tony

Staff member
Are you talking about the root where the bolt goes through it? If so, my blades at the root are about .480" or 12.2mm. And the 600 class is 600mm long, just incase you didn't know.

Top Bottom