I finally ordered my ARF

Tony

Staff member
The servos will be here today, but I don't think there will be a flight anytime soon with it. The wind has decided to pick up to about 20, and there is a chance of wind and rain this weekend. I'm not complaining though. After months of 100+ degree heat, we need the rain, and I will take some wind as well. But, this will give me time to get everything setup on the plane, lay the monokote back down (the heat put some wrinkles in it), and do some taxi tests on it.

I'm thinking abotu creating a Tail Draggers Club. Afterall, both planes that I have, are tail draggers...

Tony

Staff member
YEs it does. As does the F4U, Pitt's, Spitfire, and many many others. Even a lot of the trainers are tail draggers.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I was up on horizons web sight last night. Looked at the hanger 9 fu4 with retracts. Impressive. It's got your name all over it! Haha hehe! Lol

Tony

Staff member
Gliders don't count. Disqualified :biggrin1:

YOu bet you can join up. I'm still trying to iron out all of the kinks right now, but I think it will be fun.

Tony

Staff member
Well guys, I have great news. The servos arrived today as well as the 13x8 prop. I had to enlarge the holes just slightly, but the servos are installed. Had a couple little mishaps where either the exacto, or a screwdriver went through the monokote, and I thought superglue was a great idea to hold the backing plates for the control horns in place. Well, I was wrong, and lets just hope no one notices lol. The holes will be covered with clear tape since I don't have any white monokote. The holes won't affect the plane at all. The servos are fast, and they are strong.

I just came inside with the plane after doing some taxi testing. The plane turns really well for as much throw as I have in the rudder. I have not set the endpoints yet for the low and high rate just yet. That will come later on. But, during the taxi testing, I had to hold up elevator just to keep the tail on the ground. The tail kept wanting to lift off the ground. It's a very good sign, but sucks when you are trying to avoid a fence, and the wheel is not on the ground lol.

All in all, it was a great test. The plane has more than enough power to fly. With the 13x8 prop, it should have even more. But, playing with props will come later on. There was quite a bit of wing walking, but even with all the bumps and roots in my lawn, the plane never once tipped forward. even when it was going straight, and made a dead stop. I swear it felt like I was driving an Rc car again lol.

So, if and when I get time, I will set all of the endpoints, and take it out to the field for the maiden flight. Man, this plane has me shaking just thinking about that flight lol. But, as long as it takes off straight, and gets in the air, I should have no problem with the flight. Landing though is another option. There is only one way to practice that...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Hehe hehe, this weekend I expect a review of your flying the new plane lol. Video would be nice too.

Tony

Staff member
Bud, if I have the time, and it's not raning or windy as hell, I will see about going out there and tossing her in the air. I just hope it all goes well and I'm able to land the thing. I'm used to landing on the belly, now, I have a tail dragger and it has to be landed under power... this could prove to be interesting lol. And yes, there will be video, don't worry.

Whirlybird

That's what I did with my Sig Cadet, Tony . . . taxied around the back yard. Never did have the guts to fly it back then . . . it looked too pretty with it's black and red monocoat :)

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well I can't say anything cause I haven't landed anything except my helis and most of the time they are crashes not landings. Lol. Anyways has I was told by members of my club. Get on the sym if your not comfortable! Don't crash on my account. Lol

Tony

Staff member
Well crap. I was doing some finishing touches on the Edge 540T by shrinking the monokote on the plane. When I took it outside in the 108* weather, the covering wrinkled a little bit. Not a big deal, I will just put some 350* heat to it, shrink it, and all is well. So I thought.

The rudder of the plane is a pull/pull system. This means that there is a servo sitting inside the fuse, and there are two strings hooked up to it. As it moves, each cord will pull the rudder one way, then as it goes back, it will pull the other one. Well, as I was shrinking the monokote at the rear of the plane, the heat hit the string for half a second. That was all it took to melt the string, and render the rudder useless now.

I was really wanting to use this system since I cut the holes in the side of the fuse for the strings to exit. And, I wanted to see what people liked about it. I had always thought that it looks flimsy for it's purpose, but I figured that others have used it, so I will try it. Not anymore. I'm going ot have to cut an even bigger hole back there and install the servo at the rear of the fuse, on the other side of the elevator servo. This can cause the plane to become tail heavy, and is an issue that people have commented on before.

I guess there is only one way to find out if this will or will not work. I'm going to have to cut the hole and install it back there. This sucks.

Top Bottom