I finally ordered my ARF

Tony

Staff member
That's right, I finally made up my mind on what plane I'm going to fly. Now, don't get your panties in a bunch, this is just the plane to get me in the air. It's an ARF, made out of balsa and ply and covered with MonoKote. It's not the colors that I want, but that is easy to change.

This plane takes a .32 brushless motor, and Tower Hobbies wants 75 for it. I dont think so lol. So, I'm going with one that has 30kv less, weighs a little more, and is exactly the same size. So, it will look right in the plane, just won't have quite as much power. I'm going to be putting a 60a ESC on it, with a 4s Gensace battery. I'm going to use 4 MG90S servos for the controls. They are a little low on torque, but if I need something better, then I will get those later.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to use the pull/pull setup on the rudder, unless I need the weight in the back of the plane. Afterall, that 4s is pretty heavy at almost 300g. But, we will find out about that when I get everything here. The elevator and ailerons are linked directly with a short rod. Very precise, lets just hope the servos will handle the task.

So, tell me what you think about this plane. There are quite a few reviews and videos out there on it, and everything about it is good. The plane is going to be about 3-4 lbs, so it's not real heavy. In fact, it's lighter than the cheaper one from nitroplanes that is smaller. Just goes to show, the USA can build things stronger, and lighter lol. Post up...

gpma1572-size_lrg.jpg

gpma1572-size_lrg.jpg

Tony

Staff member
All electronics are now ordered. This should be a fun week when I get everything.

Tony

Staff member
Well, right after I ordered it, I went to get my AMA membership so that I can get on with the local club. Well, The AMA fee is $58 a year, and they renew in January. So, that would mean that I have to pay the $58, then in January, pay it again... I don't think so. But, if I wait until Sept. 15th, it will pay for the rest of this year, and all of next year. So, I will have to wait before I can fly this plane until after then. Cause I can't land that plane here at the house, just requires too much runway, and my field is not that smooth. Great for belly landers, just not for anything with a gear.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
You aint got a big parking lot some where like a church or something? I have a humongus church about 10 miles away and it is away from every thing (no interference)

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure that I could find something. But I would like to maiden it at the local airport. I may give in and find a parking lot though.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
You really should join the AMA Just for the insurance! If you ever hit anything or somebody man I hate to think about it! I dont know must about electric motors but I would think you would want one that is has powerfull has what the plane calls for. lol I could be wrong though.

Keith

Now if you guys could play cricket (not an insect) your local oval would have a pitch laid in it that is about 3' wide and 22 yds long... just right for a runway covered in artificial grass...

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Speaking of cricket,whenever i go to the park to fly, i always see around 5-8 Indian people playing cricket while im flying. I always watch them play because it looks like alot of fun! lol

Tony

Staff member
Well, flying helicopters and park flyers I could do here at my house. And I never went outside the field, so there was no chance in hitting anything. But, now that I have something that can go 100mph, and needs a lot more space, then the AMA is a must. I have been meaning to join for a while, and I have made up my mind that I need to now. So I'm gonna :biggrin1:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Keith !!! Thank goodness someone knows about cricket.. I felt left out here.. Being an indian and knowing cricket!! Lol

---
- Gaba

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Cricket ... shmicket ... :biggrin1: Just kidding! Looks like a wicked fun game ;) Tony, you know you are going to want the bigger motor. Tim Allen has nothing on you bro! Looks like the plane is going to be a blast though. Definitely need some video ...

Tony

Staff member
Wouldn't you know it. Right after I finally order my plane, after a week of looking at every plane that I could find, I find one that I like better lol. In my account on Tower Hobbies, I found a link to suggested planes. In there was an Edge 580 that is just beautiful. It has great colors, and just looks amazing. It's made after a "real" 3D pilots plane, and performs just as well. I have read all of the reviews, and like the Edge 540T, they are all great, I did find the landing gear mounting block to be a little weak, but a little balsa and epoxy will clear that right up.

I did call Tower Hobbies, and they said that my order was already boxed up. I just said thanks for your time, I will order this one after I crash the one on the way lol. And, we all know with the way I fly, I will be crashing this one. And it will be in a spectacular manner. None of this getting caught on the grass crap and tipping over hahaha. The next one will be high speed, and full of great flying debris :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
Travis, I forgot to answer your statement. There will be a maiden video, as well as all of the other videos that you have come to know me by like the unboxing and build.

Just so that everyone knows, and missed the other thread, I did order my AMA membership, and I am now a member. I will have to do some changing around in Nov. but that is not a big deal. I'm just happy that I am finally a member. I will also be joining my local club this weekend as well. Sucks that I have to take their plain up on a friggin buddy box to show what I can do. I should get that thing into the air, and start stunting the crap out of it hahaha. Oh well, I only have to do it once.

Also, the plane has now shipped and is on it's way. All of the parts have left LA and are on there way here as well. Hopefully I can get all of the video taken this week, get it built, and maiden it this weekend. If not, then I will have to do it next week. I know there is going to be a lot of setting up on this plane. I'm not used to something with control surfaces this large, so I will have to dial them down on low rate for the maiden. But, high rate will be just a switch flip away hahaha. So, if I can get it trimmed out before the battery dies, you can bet that I'm going to be flipping that switch, and getting all kinds of stupid with this plane hehe.

Is my plane here yet???

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm glad the plan is coming together. It's always that way isn't it? You look and look then, finally find something you want. You order it or buy it. Then 5 minutes later, you find something you want more. Oh well. Lol. I finally have a free week end. So maybe i will start working on my RC shop! Got to install lights and power. Then I can get working on my planes.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that is the way it always goes. Oh well, I will find something better next time.

Tony

Staff member
I just checked the shipping on both the electronics, and the plane. Even though they are coming from California and Illinois, they will both be here Thursday. I think Thursday is going to be a good day.

Keith

Anouncment...... All US mail deliveries have been put on hold until work safety resolutions have been finalized next week....

Last edited:
Top Bottom