600 Goblin 630 Build

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Well, I have been kicking around the idea of another project. Disecting the iKON would be educational as well!

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I will probably end up doing that. I will then need something to put it in........!

After reading your G570 thread, I started to wonder is the G630 considered a 700 class heli? I am wondering what I tell my iKON when I start to set it up.

Last edited:

Lee

My Warps Ikon, is set up as a 450 even though its probably closer to a Trex 500.
I would say the 630 is a 700 class. The frames are almost identical in size.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I noticed that and the 700 is only 70mm longer. Does it really boil down to the flight characteristics the iKON has per each class and what works for an individual heli, regardless of size? I mean, you probably wouldn't use the 700 setting for a 450.

pvolcko

You can start with 700 or 600 size on that. Given the responsiveness of goblin line, especially with half way decent servos in it, I'd start at 600 since the responsiveness will make the control think it is in a lighter, more nimble heli, like a 600. You can then use the sliders to dial in between the 600-700 range for cyclic gain after some test flying.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Okay cool!

Also, what frame rate should I set in the DX7s? I have a 22ms and 11ms option...........RJX FS0521 Digital Servos Cyclic and Tail.

pvolcko

Highest frame rate your Tx and Rx will allow. It has nothing to do with the servos, has to do with the protocol between the Tx and Rx and the baseline latency there will be between Tx input and Rx output.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I have done some research and cannot find anything regarding what framerate the iKON will support. Does anybody know if the iKON with DSMX sats will support 11ms.

I have my Tx set at 22ms now and it bound to the iKON with no problem. It seems to be easy to test. If I set my Tx to 11ms and it won't bind to the iKON then I have to use 22ms.

pvolcko

Yes, it will support 11ms. The frame rate is determined by the Sats in this case and DSMX supports 11ms. IF you have it set to 11ms and try to bind to something that is only 22ms, it will still bind but it will automatically adjust down to 22ms.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks, Paul......I thought that might be the case but wanted to make sure before I blew anything up......I'm a little gunshy now.

I bound and programmed the DX7s last night and got to the point of subtrimming the servos and leveling the swash. I stopped there as it was late and I was tired and wanted to be fully alert for the rest of the setup.

Pictures to follow......

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Here are some long overdue pics of my progrss. I have all the electronics ready for installation (not a professional wiring job but it looks clean and everything is connected. I finished programming my DX7s and "assigned" the servos to a specific location around the swash in the iKON (sorry for the terminology here). I removed the head and leveled the heli for setup. I still have to install the servos and horns, center the horns and level the swash iKON. I'm getting closer and closer!!!

Here's the new iKON. It arrived Wednesday and is working fine!
IMG_0796.jpg

Wiring Job

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

On the left you can see the EC3 plug for the Rx battery

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

This is my ESC with the ground running from the negative side of the 12S batteries to the negative side of the Rx power cable

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

RX Power Leads

IMG_0765.jpg

Hello Gobblin!

IMG_0794.jpg

Tx setup and servos asigned!

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

Level Heli!!! Ready to install and setup the servos and swash!!!

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

Last edited:

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks, Paul. My only concern is the soldering of the bullets on the ESC wires connecting to the motor. The huge ESC wires wouldn't fit into the bullet connector and I had to "make it work" as I didn't want to cut the motor wires and put new connectors on. I'm thinkgin I will have to bench test and retest extensively and analyze the flight logs before I maiden.

wolfman76

Thanks, Paul. My only concern is the soldering of the bullets on the ESC wires connecting to the motor. The huge ESC wires wouldn't fit into the bullet connector and I had to "make it work" as I didn't want to cut the motor wires and put new connectors on. I'm thinkgin I will have to bench test and retest extensively and analyze the flight logs before I maiden.

You could have done like i have had to before and removed a few strands of the wires until they fit into the bullets easier then solder them in

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I might unsolder them and give that a shot. I thought I would fire it up and run the motor to see if it ran smooth and then look at the logs for any inconsistency before I uninstalled everything to resolder.......I'm not that good at it to begin with.

wolfman76

Neither was i at first but it might hold up till half way through a future flight before it fails and comes apart due to heat build up

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I didn't think about heat building up and causing a disconnection at the connectors. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. You can't see in the pics because the heat shrink covers it but I got most of the wire into the connector and the remaining wires are soldered on the outside of the connector. This is just sort of the way it happened when I heated the connector up and put the wire in……

You don't get a huge voltage or something similer by cutting away strands of a wire???

Top Bottom