600 Goblin 630 Build

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks, Paul! I thought about that last night and adjusted just as you said. Thank you for bringing this up though. Even though I had already adjusted the belt, I really appreciate the reminders and tips along the way. In addition, I spun the engine as I brought it into adjustment to make sure the belt was flat against the drive gear and pinion.

Guess what showed up this afternoon!!!!:biggrin1::chickendance::hdbng::beerchug:

Look Ma' No Cracks!!!
New Tail Boom.jpg

I also got the 630 Competition Tail Case Spacer because I thought it looked cool!

photo 2.jpg

New Tail Boom.jpg

photo 2.jpg

cml001

Oh yeah! Gotta personalize ur bird bruh! I mean... Ur gonna be look'n at her, best to make her pretty to ur own eyes right! What's up with the video?

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Yes sir!!!

Video's coming.....I don't have a video camera so I used my blackberry and it's not coming out right. I'm going to try my firlfriend's iPhone this weekend.......If I'm gonna be on "tape" on this internet thing for ever, Its gotta be right! :biggrin1:

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Newb strike again! I have another beginner question…...I am putting together the tail assembly (Pics to Follow soon). This entails installing the tail servo, servo arm etc. I have not done any setup this far.

iKON FBL, RJX FS0521 HV Tail Servo, RJX FS0521 Cyclic Servos.

I think I know the answer but here goes: I need to find center on the tail servo so I can install the servo arm. I don't know if they are centered out of the box. That being said, I was moving it last night when preliminary servo arm fit and thinking about the best way to get the servo down in the hole on the tail. I think I will use the plastic star arm provided with the servo. Objections….advice???? I would rather the plastic arm break off than ruin the servo in a crash.

I will need to find center on the cyclics at some point as well. So, am I at the point where I need to setup the servos with the iKON before I formally install the tail servo? I am thinking yes…..

I researched the forum and found how to setup and found the video by Marius on setting up the FBL and centering the servos. Thank you Marius! Your explanation is very helpful!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yup, sounds like you need to bind everything up and get your servo centers set. this is done only in the Ikon and not in the Tx.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks, Tony! I just downloaded the iKON software. Hopefully I can start working on centering the servos tomorrow

Also, I will be taking time away from the bird and studying the setup videos on the forum and asking questions about setup. Once I have a good feel for what needs to be done I will continue with pictures!

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I have read through the iKON manual, which is a printed version of the software Wizard, and I am going through the "Demo" mode on the iKON software.....the instructions for the Swash and Tail setup sections make it sound like the servos need to be installed in the bird in order to set this up, do I need to install the servos? That would mean installing the servos before finding center and installing the horns.

ALso, can I do all the other setup stuff then install the servos and then come back and complete the second portion of the Swash and Tail setup sections????

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I got the video shot. It was done on an iPhone and it is 1.3GB! It's only 7 1/2 minutes long. I'm trying to upload to youtube now. The progress is at 13% and is going to take 354 more minutes! If it completes the upload. It will be up soon!

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Phase 1 is complete. The frame, transmission, motor, and tail boom assemblies are complete......on to phase 2 electronics and bench setup and final assembly.

Here is my video of my progress.
Goblin Build Phase 1

Below are more pics.

THis is the replacement tail boom and the support holes were drilled a little off but I mounted it to the frame and it will not be a problem as I am able to tighten everything down. I also had to sand down the sides where the support sits as there was to much filler causing the support flanges to not sit flush with the sidwall of the tail boom.
IMG_0743.jpg

Here the carbon filler/finish wasnot filled in all the way leaving a hole where the flange of the support sits. I filled this in with some epoxy.

IMG_0710.jpg

I had to sand down the servo lock the tail servo so I could insert the servo in the tail boom. I don't think this will be a problem.
IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0702.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0738.jpg

Preparation for the insatllation of the electronics

IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0724.jpg
IMG_0722.jpg
IMG_0720.jpg

Getting closer to the maiden and Spring!

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I am now wiring on soldering all the connectors. Soldering is another weak point of mine. When I was a musician I did all my own setup, etc. but when it came to replacing pots and pickups I could never get the wires to stick.

I watched Tony's video and got out my father's old soldering station and practiced soldering connectors on some wires I found in the tool room. I started to solder the bullet connectors for the motor on the ESC. The bullets didn't fit well onto the 8 gauge motor side wires. I got it to work, although not pretty. We will see when it is time to fire up the motor. I was able to solder the EC5 battery side connectors and EC3 BEC connectors once I figured out it is easier to heat the large gauge wires and connectors with a mii torch. All of my connections are strong and do not pull apart. Hope I didn't heat put the wires to much and destroy the unit.

Soon I will be programing the ESC and FBL.

pvolcko

In case your backup guard questions in the other thread were about this build, make sure to check out that thread. I just put a post in there that may be important to your setup.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Yes, those questions are about this build and I saw your post....thanks, again, for bringing that to my attention!

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I did a preliminary wiring of the Goblin tonight and noticed that the governor adapter for the iKON has the positive, negative, and signal wires going to a servo connector. I have the CC Edge 120 HV ESC and the speed sensor lead is a single white wire and I am assuming this is a signal wire. Is this going to be a problem running the iKON governor? Does the governor port on the iKON need to be powered for it to work?

pvolcko

hmmm... shouldn't be a problem. pos and neg off the ikon gov port would normally power the phase sensor, but since you're using the signal off the ESC it should be fine to just run that wire into the adapter. Of course move the pin in the ESC's signal wire lead to match up to the signal wire on the adapter, or else you may back feed positive voltage into the ESC's phase signal output and cause issues.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks! So what I am seeing is the BEC provides power to any sensors through the iKON. So that would mean that the Sat. DSMX Rx's are powered by the BEC through the iKON.

murankar

Staff member
Yes, anything you plug into the ikon will be powered by the bec.

Nice to see this build coming along.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks Uri! I'm looking forward to the mainden.....I can already see myself flying it.

Electrical and programming is killing me and can see I am going to need a lot of advice and hand holding for setup. I feel I a pretty good understanding of the programming of the iKON up to where I setup the governor and three setup options. As I think about this my mind is all over the place with questions and I'm wondering if the iKON is more than I need.....first, can I get some advice on whether I should think about getting the AR7200BX (when I was purchasing this was the other FBL I was looking at) and keep the iKON for a later build???? I bought the iKON because the store gave me a better deal on it but I thought it would do what I needed at my level and I could grow into it and not have to purchase upgrades as my skills improved. Not that the AR7200BX isn't a great FBL.

I fly sport and like to keep the heli within sight so I can tell what is going on. As you know, there are 3 different setups for setting up flight characteristics in the iKON. In my mind this is like the two position Dual Rate switch, which can be set to 0 = easy tame settings and 1 = more advanced flight characteristics. So going to the iKON, I now have three options for setting flight characteristics but can only utilize three if my Tx has a three position switch I can map to. Am I on the right path here?

That being said, I am thinking I don't really need three setups as my 3D skills are non existent with the exception of doing loops and rolls high in the sky. I am learning to fly inverted but have a ways to go until I master this on the sim enough to feel comfotable on the real bird. So I am thinking I want to program an Easy/Beginner setup and a Sport Setup. For that matter I guess I could program one setup to do it all but I do like to have a tamed down setup option for landing, taking off and regaining control when I loose it. I will be using my DX9 with the Goblin so I have programmable 3 position switches for 3 setups. I'm also thinking if I have a 3D setup already programmed for when I reach that level and I accidently hit the switch then I'm in for a surprise!

One last question: how do you level a Goblin? Everything is tilted forward. Best I can tell is putting a level on the skids???

pvolcko

If you assign the bank mode selection to a two position switch it will work too, you just end up with two banks instead of three. Which is fine. You ave the DX9, though, so you'll be using a three position switch, so no worries. Can program the same setting into two banks if you want, or even all three.

I'd personally stick with the Ikon. It has an internal gov which is easy to setup. 7200BX now has a gov feature too, but requires you either get a new one with that firmware, or you need to update the firmware yourself, then you need to screw around with the same cabling issue. And I don't think anyone on here has ever setup a 7200BX with gov features so you'd be out of luck on getting help with that setup. At least on the ikon it is all visual in the setup app and there are a number of people here who can help you out.

Yeah, go with a basic and a sport bank mode. My guess is you'll end up using the sport mode most and may end up programming two sport modes, one default and one with a bit increased agility to try out the faster roll rates. Basic is a pretty sluggish setting. It would be great for a scale heli, but for sport flying it is a bit too dialed back. The 3D setting is crisp. The hardcore 3D setting is nuts. I'd not program a bank setting either of them until you are ready to progress. And remember, those are just pre-programmed default setting. Once you select one of them you can tweak settings to dial it up or back from there. You are not limited to just those four default settings.

Leveling. Yeah. You're going to have to prop up the skids to get the rotor disk level.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks for the explanation. Okay for headspeed and setting up the governor, I am using Mr. Mels Headspeed calculator app on my iPhone. I entered Battery quality - 45C, Cells - 12, Maingear - 204 (selected Goblin 630 in his app), Pinion - 20T (stock came with kit), motor efficiency - 90, Use governor - yes, and External Governor selected. it gives me a best value of 2160, Ok value of 2246, and so-so value of 2311. It also gives me a Low Voltage of 42.24, which is below what the LiPo should draw down to, and a bogging headspeed of 2087.

I don't quite understand the specifics of how and why the governor works and/or is necessary. I have a little understanding of a governor and that it caps the speed so the head doesn't just keep spinning up till she blows......My understanding this far is that given the above calculation and my flying type, do I just set the governor at 2100 (a little less to be sure) as this speed is probably more than enough for me?

Is the governor's other purpose to maintain headspeed when flat throttle curve is being used with 3D manuevers?

Leveling: So the rotor needs to be level for the SL feature to work and not the heli as a whole? If the rotor is level then it is in a nose up position? wouldn't this be a problem when trying to fly out of a bad situation? Opps....I must edit my comment. I just flipped to some pics of a Goblin sitting on the ground and hovering and notice that the tail boom is tilted in the same plane as the rotor head so in the air when the rotor head is level the heli is level with the skids tilting up......

Last edited:
Top Bottom