Get Val On The Getner

Tony

Staff member
Since I don't trust Mother Nature right now after the two weeks of hell she has put us through, it looks like I'm not only staying up all night since that is the schedule she wanted me on, but now, I'm staying up all day....

There is a front that pushed passed me, but it could always go back... Not taking that chance.

Tony

Staff member
Two days off from the weather. Nice sun shiny days until Saturday... Going to finish the greenhouse tomorrow and also mow this knee high yard...

RandyDSok

For those that may want a pretty advanced weather/radar app for their Android or iOS ( iPhone ) devices...

There is wX for Android or wXL23 for iOS devices.

Android on the play store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=joshuatee.wx&hl=en

iOS on the app store - ‎wXL23

While this is made for more advanced users, it's still a great app for others to get to just about any weather data that the NWS, SPC and other government weather sources can provide.

For the beginners... here is a link for some basic documentation that another user has put together.... wX – Detailed Weather Radar, Notifications, and Forecasts

On Android ( I'm uncertain what features the iOS app has exactly ), you can practically customize it to fit your own needs. You can define what info is shown on the Home screen, when you get into the main radar screen ( by clicking on the lightning bolt in the lower right corner ) you can go into it's settings and select from several color tables or customize your own if you wish. Using the menu ( 3 dots in the lower right ) you can select from several radar modes including Level2 SuperRes Reflectivity and Velocity. By default, it uses just Level3 radar data to help minimize load times and data usage. The SPC and Misc screens allows you access to the various info those agencies provide including weather model, satellite and other data.

Tony

Staff member
That wXL23 definitely has a steep learning curve for iOS. Things are placed all over the place in that app, but it does show some pretty good radar images. One major issue I saw on the app was one page would have a black background, which I prefer, but then the next would be a white background. An example of this is when you are on one radar and you want to switch. While looking at the radar, nice black background, then go to change the radar, it goes to a super bright screen with a bunch of pins like google maps for the radar sites.

Once you do select a radar, which can be a chore until you get the hang of it, switching over to the Level2 radar can be a little hard to find. Once you do find it, it looks great. Of course, I don't have any storms around here to really test out the accuracy right now, but I sure hope it is better than other radar apps out there that can be 15 to 30 minutes behind where the storm actually is.

A drop down menu for the radars would be much appreciated, but yea...

RandyDSok

A drop down menu for the radars would be much appreciated, but yea...

On my Android... when I'm in the main radar portion of the app... I can click on the name of the radar site in upper right and it gives me the option to Add... once there you can add several radar sites to the list and you would then have them available in the drop down after you click the radar site name again. Of course you could then just add all of the radar sites if you didn't mind scrolling through a really long list... but I just added the 4 for Oklahoma and left it at that ( for now, I may add some AR, TX and KS later if I wish ).

The radar selection page you described at least sounds like it looks better than the one I have on Android... mine just shows the 3 letter name for each site on the map... no pretty pins or anything. I suspect this was programmed as a map so you wouldn't need to scroll a long list of sites.

Tony

Staff member
Hm... 5G Cell phone network could hinder weather radar systems. From an article by one of our local news stations, the band where cellphones would be located is right next to the band that we use to detect moisture in the clouds to see what kind of weather is in there. I do think they were a little over the top with the headline though. Something about it could bring us back to the 80's in weather technology. I would love to post the link, but facebook is only showing two posts on my timeline and they are both from 3 days ago. And this is WITH "Newest Posts" selected. Same goes for the "facebook knows better than you what you want" feed. You know, when you have things pop up in your feed that are YEARS old... I hate facebook.

RandyDSok

I don't think it's over the top... moisture is 1/3 of the primary factors they use to forecast with, the other two are temperature and wind. I'm just uncertain where to point the finger at, FCC for not knowing it or the meteorologists for not letting them know.

RandyDSok

I may have the concept of "storm chasing" backwards...

... Today's storm chased me back from Okarche all the way home to Norman... :D

Tony

Staff member
And he called me to tell me he was towing the storm my way. I told him to take it back... He didn't listen. Typical computer guy....

Rob Lancaster

Wow, a 20 degree temp drop.
If that happened in Hawaii I'd think the planet was tipping over on it's axis. Run for your lives! lol....

murankar

Staff member
We had a 2 day break in rain. This allowed my yard to dry out enough to cut today. So I pulled out the ol trusty cub cadet and dropped lines in the yard. Then the rains came back.

Since I can't till the dirt I guess ill try and apply some hummic acid and some other soil softening stuff and start planting.

RandyDSok

About the software you guys are using.. What does it do? When you zoom way in, is the image really pixilated?

The software that Tony and I are using on our Windows desktop and discussing the most is called GrLevel3 v2 which allows us to see level 3 ( L3 ) radar products. It allows us to get data directly from the NWS servers for free. To get the higher resolution data that level 2 ( L2 ) radar provides, you typically have to pay a 3rd party because the NWS charges for access to that data since it's much larger dataset to download.

What does it do? ... I thought is was obvious, it shows the various different NEXRAD level 3 radar products. There are about 11 different radar products with most of them providing up to 6 tilts each, some are single products ( no tilts ) and provides things like composite reflectivity ( all of the tilts averaged together so you can see the general intensity of the storm ), estimated rainfall ( one hour and storm total, the 3 hour has been discontinued ), echo tops ( shows how high the clouds are going ), vertical integrated liquids ( VIL, shows how much rain is within a specific column of air ).

Is it really pixelated... That depends on if we've set it to smooth the data or if we are just taking the "raw" level 3 data. GrLevel3 can use bilinear interpolation to help smooth out the data often allowing smaller details to show up easier even though the "raw" data may not exactly show it. Not all forms of radar data work well with smoothing... reflectivity ( shows intensity ) works pretty well but the velocity ( general wind speed/direction ) doesn't.

As for the amount of "pixelation" you may see... first you may need to know a little about the radar data itself. Unlike your monitor which shows pixels in rows and columns... Radar data is radial and shows the data is referred to be in bins ( or packets ). To get an better idea, images first a circle, then divide it in 1/2, then 1/4ths etc until each slice is relatively small, now divide it the other direction using circles withing the circle. When you are done dividing it in the two directions, you end up with sort of curved rectangles... the ones towards the center are really small and as you move further out... each one grows a little larger. Each of these "curved rectangles" are referred to as a bin. Since each bin that in close to the center is relatively small, the pixelation is relatively low but as you move further out, it gets a little larger.

Now why I used quotes around the word "raw" .... In reality, level 1 data is the actual raw data, level 2 and level 3 data is actually processed. Level 2 data is the high resolution data that provides 0.5dBZ resolution but it only has a handful of processed data products available to it directly from NWS, it's also a bit more noisy compared to level 3 data. Level 3 data is 10x lower resolution than level 2 providing 5.0dBZ or resolution and also a lot of other radar products when compared to the level 2 stuff. The primary advantage to using level 3 ( other than the number of products available ) is the download size of the data is in the 300-800kb size where the level 2 data is up to 14Mb per scan. If you are using a mobile device and paying for the amount of data you download, the level 3 is the obvious choice.

Ok.. here are some screenshots of the various images....

Level 3 data without any smoothing... notice as you get further away from the radar ( KOAX ) the bins ( aka "pixels" or packets ) get larger.

KOAX_L3_raw.JPG

Here is the same level 3 data but I enabled "smoothing"

KOAXL3_Smoothed.JPG

Now here is a screenshot from a different program called Radarscope that has "Super-Res" images which is a level 2 data that is already processed so the download size isn't as large as the full level 2 data is... a nice compromise so you save data but still are able to see the detail it provides. Level 2 reflectivity doesn't work well for "smoothing" since it contains more noise but it doesn't really need it as much either since it's 10x better resolution that level 3 data is. Please note that this is using a different color table than the other two shots, Radarscope doesn't allow much if any customization and GrLevel3 allows me to customize a lot.

KOAX_L2.JPG

Just a side note... Radarscope and GrLevel3 are paid products. The other program I mentioned the other day ( wX on Android and wXL23 on iPhone ) is a free program which has a lot of level 3 radar products available but it doesn't have any smoothing options, to make up for that it does provide two L2 products, reflectivity and velocity. Here is a screenshot of wX with L2 reflectivity ( aka SuperRes )

joshuatee_wx_2019-06-03-12-38-19.jpeg

RandyDSok

Oh... some additional info...

Level 2 imagery is typically only shown going out to about 145 miles... Level 3 is out to about 250 miles. So L3 has a bit of a distance benefit and L2 has a higher resolution benefit.

The radar images you see on the NWS website only has about 24 different colors in the color table in a small area of the screen... In GrLevel3 we are able to use up to 16 million colors if it's allowed to blend the colors. In addition, the NWS website has a much much smaller radar resolution size.... the programs we are using allow us to use up to the full resolution of the monitors we are looking at ( I'm not speaking about the size of the bins here, but the size of the screen that the bins are displayed on ).

Rob Lancaster

Howdy again rdsok,
Wow I really appreciate your detailed info on this subject!
You were right; this can't be explained in one li'll reply, lol....
I'm still trying to sort it all out but man,, so far I learned a lot more that I expected. (For some reason, ha!)… I think I'll be more patient when it come to the radar maintenance crews that are on a tight budget...

Ok If I understand you,, I can use GrLevel3 with my desktop and it's free? I have NO mobile devices...
Thanks buddy for your help with this!

Oh I almost forgot, some coconut heads take longer than other coconut heads for some things to set in... LOL!! :biglaugh:
Rster...

Last edited:

RandyDSok

Ok If I understand you,, I can use GrLevel3 with my desktop and it's free?

Just a side note... Radarscope and GrLevel3 are paid products.

Tony covered it... but I thought I'd quote myself for that question since it was mentioned towards the last of my post. In addition, and this may be where the confusion began, I did say that NWS provides the DATA FEED for level 3 data for free to the public and that they charge a lot for level 2 data.

Rob Lancaster

Ah hah,, that's what I thought...
So you buy the $80.00 dollar program. Then your good to go for the GRLevel3; right? Stay with me guys; it's late..

Top Bottom