Get Val On The Getner

RandyDSok

Here we go again...

Yeah... if they make it this far ( like last night )...

I've got my new Pixel 3a reloaded and setup... including my custom color table for the wX app. Here is the incoming storms as seen from the Fredrick radar site

joshuatee_wx20190615204123.jpeg

Tony

Staff member
The arrows are storm tracks, and each X is 15 minutes.

And a gust front is a wind burst that is out ahead of the storm. It usually means no chance of tornadoes, but almost assures very high winds and possibly hail and very heavy rain behind it. But as happened tonight, the front can suck the gust front back in and form a circulation.

Rob Lancaster

Hey did you guys here about the NWS upgrade to their main frame forecast software?

Last year when we were under a hurricane warning, (Lane) the models did forecast it would come close, real close, but it would veer off at the last second. It did! I told my brother that their get'n better at it for sure... Now I know why. Their 40 year old software was upgraded big time.

That storm came from a long way off and they pretty much knew where she'll be and at what time she'll be there. Dam-deist spectacle I ever saw on this here screen! The new software and such has since been permanently adopted by the NWS.

I can't wait for the phased array radar system that's coming. I hope soon...….

RandyDSok

Ok... I'm running a trial version of GrLevel2 Analyst... it's certainly got some cool features... if you can get past the cost of $250...

Here is a view showing just a vertical slice through a storm in Texas. The vertical grid shows that slice up into the storm and the lower layer ( 2D ) is the lowest tilt for the area.

KDYX_20190616_1803_BR.jpg

Here is a full 3D render of the same storm... I'm able to select which portions of the color table to show and how transparent ( alpha ) they are.

KDYX_20190616_1810_BR.jpg

Here is the same area only I've just selected the higher dbz. This also shows the alpha chart with the amounts of the areas selected.

KDYX_20190616_1810_BR-TOR.jpg

Tony

Staff member
So now we have storms that are not thunderstorms (not producing lightning) that are dropping weak tornadoes without any kind of hook or pronounced lowering... Life in Oklahoma lol.

Rob Lancaster

Those images are awesome! I wish I knew how to read it like you guys do.
This is why, rdsok; I'm putting you in charge of all Hawaii radar imagery. LOL!! :beerchug:
Hell, even our local news stations only use the raw radar data. Like I said before; Hawaii is 10 to 20 years behind the real world for a lot of things...

I do have some questions but I'm not sure how to ask them. This stuff is so advanced for me. It's like my DX8, It's something I'm still growing into.

Tony

Staff member
Well, they may be behind, but they are not dealing with what we are dealing with every year here in the mid west. You guys have hurricanes, which are, well... hurricanes lol. You guys know what to do, and you know ahead of time what to expect. Like a couple days ago, we had standard rain showers that were dropping tornadoes without any circulation indicated on radar. It is storms like these that keep us learning about these storms. In reality, for this kind of storm, you would need a mobile radar doing 20º slices every 15 seconds or so in order to see what is going on. And I will bet money, the next time they see a formation like we had a couple days ago, they will have a truck in the field with a mobile dopler (or something even more advanced) to look at what the storm is doing on these very quick spin ups on something that doesn't even have an updraft.

Rob Lancaster

Yup and that's really why here in the tropics it's not as serious as you guys in TORNADO ALLEY; whoa!!! I just get frustrated at the lag in updating things that are equally important to Hawaii.

Oh a mobile radar system,, sounds like a job for Josh Werman... I hope I got the name right...….

RandyDSok

I wish I knew how to read it like you guys do.
This is why, rdsok; I'm putting you in charge of all Hawaii radar imagery. LOL!!

I'm not certain that I'm going to buy the software that allows me to look at radar in 3D or not... Beyond the 3D eye candy, it only has 2 functions that I don't already have with the GrLevel3 software. Manual storm tracks, so I could place a 1 hour track at any point of my own choosing. The other is a feature called NROT, normalized rotation, that helps point out areas that has rotation that may indicate a tornado or other tight rotation in a storm.

RandyDSok

Josh was the guy that used the first doppler on wheels...
Based out of the severer storms lab in Noman OK.....

He was also a "star" on the TV Show "Tornado Chasers" with Reed Timmer, a local chap, who built several armored vehicles to help intercept tornadoes in. Reed now works for Accuweather after he got his degree in meteorology.

Top Bottom