Get Val On The Getner

RandyDSok

I've made it back to the house... :)

Just as I got to work, thought I'd have time for a smoke before going in, thought I'd look at the radar and make a few quick calls... no such thing, a puff or two was all I got before the gust front got there and the rain just behind it. So I went inside and went upstairs to fire up my radar there and see where things were at.

I see that Norman has gotten 1/2" since the rain started. Ponding all along the roads already. The curb on my street on the inside where it pools up... is already covered.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, shortly after I got off the phone with you, that circulation got sucked into the line then died. Then the gust front came out of it. I told you that you didn't have much time lol.

RandyDSok

PS... I don't think the southern circulation that headed my way ever developed a tornado that touched the ground...

The northern one that started on the east side of El Reno ... looks like has now produced 3 of them and still going.

Tony

Staff member
You are correct, never heard any report of a tornado from the Tuttle/Minco storm that headed to south Norman.

RandyDSok

David Payne and crew on Ch 9... are a bit off their game tonight....

A bit ago, He was talking about some circulation to watch around Tecumseh/Shawnee... all the while there was a strong circulation couplet was just NE of that that appeared to have a possible debris ball showing on the CC radar product.

My BV and SRV color tables were clearly showing it... in fact it as they say... like a sore thumb... I'm pretty happy with that result.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, that nice bright yellow? I have been watching that. It's straight over Boley right now.

RandyDSok

Looks like I may be staying up longer than I wanted... My sister and her husband is out at their trailer by Gore... so I'll stay up for another couple of hours it looks like.

Tony

Staff member
I would think that Gore would be under water by now being by that river. I know Webbers Falls is under water. And you may not have to stay up for a couple hours, it may be there faster than that if this thing keeps bowing out...

RandyDSok

I suspect you're right, that it won't be a couple of hours from when I posted that...

BTW, I drove past the location twice in El Reno where the motel was hit while going to the 4 cemeteries I went to this morning and then coming back. The first cemetery was about a mile and 1/2 north of that location.

Rob Lancaster

Elreno tornado now confirmed to be a fatal tornado.

Oh boy...………
I'll be studying more about the radar system tonight.
You guys are on the ball with you radar set ups.. I want to lean in that direction as well.
Your in my thoughts.
Rob...

Tony

Staff member
The storms that we had tonight are more of a 'reactive' storm rather than a 'proactive' storm. These storms were in what is called a "Bow Echo", and every now and then, you can get a small little finger sticking out of them that can start to spin. And that is what happened multiple times tonight. No warning on these storms whatsoever other than a severe storm was heading your way.

This is the reason I'm always watching the radars when a storm is approaching in the spring time here. At any given time they can drop a small tornado. Usually an EF0 or EF1, but they are calling the deadly tornado an EF2 or slightly higher. We will find out after they are done with the recovery efforts and the teams go in and examine the damage.

Rob Lancaster

Man oh man! I got all these thoughts of leveled houses and flooding going on over there.
Yeah and after talking with you guys, I need to defiantly update my radar interpretation skills.
Here in Haiku Valley we don't flood because we live up near the maintains. The storm drains we have are excellent. The water winds up in Kaneohe Bay. Oh it may come up a bit high in the yard and flow a bit on the patio's edges, but the water never flows into the house.

It's the wind the scares the S%#t out of me. It's the wind that drives the rain through our old fashioned jalousie windows. The water flows down the walls and we need to soak it up it with towels and ring'm out in the tub. Fortunately that only happened once way back in 1982 when hurricane Eva hit us. Kauai got the brunt of the cat 2 but we here on Oahu still experienced 90 mph winds and heavy rain. It took years for me to convince the landlords, (family) to let me retrofit the house with hurricane brackets and 1/4 inch galivanted steal cables. they were deployed for the first time last year for hurricane Lane. Fortunately she was a bust.

We still need to fortify the windows but once again the need fades as the threat fades. I'm trying to convince them that is not if, but when! Oahu is decades over due for a direct hit; that's a fact.. Heck we're just days away from the start of this years hurricane season, hummmmm………
Station Haiku...

Tony

Staff member
Update on the fatalities. There was two people killed, but they were not in the hotel, they were actually in the trailer park behind the hotel. Still unfortunate.

Rob Lancaster

Yes sir.....
This is why ya'll must be vigilant… This is life and death, there's no other way to put it.
Seems to be calming all around. At least until tomorrow...
I'll be watch'n!

RandyDSok

Update on the storms heading for where my Sister and her husband were at...

About 1:30am... a weak tornado had formed, seen and reported about 20 miles west of where my Sister was... heading straight east in their direction. Previously, I had just texted her and hadn't gotten a reply ( after all it was after midnight by then ). This time I called but got no answer, so I called her hubby and same thing... no answer. So all I could do was monitor it at that point. I watched the storm start crawling and it finally passed their location around 2am. We all share our locations on our phones with each other... and I could still see them and they hadn't suddenly stopped charging so all I could do was assume things were ok and I went on to bed finally.

I got a text from her this morning and things were fine ( of course ). They had forgotten both of their phones in the dining room and she said that won't happen again, at least one will take a phone into the bedroom from now on when storms are expected.

Tony

Staff member
We are expecting strong to severe storms in far western Oklahoma panhandle, NW Texas panhandle and NE New Mexico. So here in central Oklahoma, we are not expecting much if anything.

RandyDSok

I'm not expecting anything either... the NWS does have a real low chance of storms around 1am, hopefully they won't happen.

Tony

Staff member
They have put a size on that Elreno tornado. It was an EF3 (which is massive for the way it formed), and was on the ground for 2.2 miles (which is a very long way for this type of tornado).

Top Bottom