Forum Double Posting

Slobberdog

I've had one but it's been a lot slower again today, always seems like its gonna double post, but it doesn't

murankar

Staff member
I have been on forum runner all morning till now. i have not had any issues while using the app. Although i did have one or two due to the occasional lag i have with the app.

Tony

Staff member
Well, i have changed everything I can change on this forum. I have changed files, I have changed settings in the database, I have changed settings in teh admincp (the back end of this forum), and nothing has worked. Not sure why. I only have one choice now, and even though the double posting stops (which seems like it's picking up here lately), there are other small bugs.

However, the articles section is there, the blogs are there. Just like they are here. And teh way the forum works, just works... What do you guys think I should do? Over the last 1.5 weeks, I have spent about 120 hours on this issue, and I have gotten no where. do you think we should just suck it up and move to teh new vbulletin software and run with it?

Tony

Staff member
Well, i have changed everything I can change on this forum. I have changed files, I have changed settings in the database, I have changed settings in teh admincp (the back end of this forum), and nothing has worked. Not sure why. I only have one choice now, and even though the double posting stops (which seems like it's picking up here lately), there are other small bugs.

However, the articles section is there, the blogs are there. Just like they are here. And teh way the forum works, just works... What do you guys think I should do? Over the last 1.5 weeks, I have spent about 120 hours on this issue, and I have gotten no where. do you think we should just suck it up and move to teh new vbulletin software and run with it?

pvolcko

Oh the irony...

Given the quick retreat back to this software, I would not make a hasty move to vb5. Run it fully through it's paces with the help of the staff and other guinea pigs. Double posts are annoying, but people can live it for another week while testers beat on the test forum.

But, as always, up to you. :)

Last edited:

Barge

I'll second the last post, I'll beta test for you Tony, and the double posting is certainly not a big issue for me, If your doing a hundred a day you'd probably throw yourself under a bus, but we'd get over it.

Slobberdog

I'll second the last post, I'll beta test for you Tony, and the double posting is certainly not a big issue for me, If your doing a hundred a day you'd probably throw yourself under a bus, but we'd get over it.

here here Barge, count me in if you need another tester, its better now than it was 3 weeks ago, personally I've only had 2 doubles since we have been back on here

Tony

Staff member
If you guys want to test it, I have the forum setup as it has been for quite a while. new.forum.rc-help.com. I'm just stuck as to what to do.

Barge

What would you like to do with the forum Tony if you had a magic wand, would you go forward, backwards or stay where we are. Have you looked at the option of getting outside help? Can we do a fundraiser to help with costs? What are the options?

Cheers

Tony

Staff member
If I could do anything, I would go back to 4.2.1. That version was flawless and worked perfectly. But that is not an option. You cna only move forward with vbulletin. And 5.0.1 just sucks. It's slow, buggy, signatures don't work, if you start doing a long post, it does funky stuff, the list goes on and on and on and on...

As for hiring someone from the outside, there is way too much work. It would cost thousands to get this forum where I want it. and if I"m going to spend thousands for someone to "fix" the forum, might as well just code us a brand new forum that is proprietary to Rc-Help ONLY. But again, thousands...

Barge

Are the developers of vbulletin responsible for getting it to function properly or do they just give you a box full of parts and leave you with it. Sorry for the ignorance but I have never fiddled with a website or forum.

Tony

Staff member
They are "supposed" to get it to function properly. But, since 5 has come out, they pretty much gave up on 4, which this forum is on. And 5 is not much better, but I did purchase it just to test. All in all, I tossed about $400 down the drain on two different software's for this forum to try and correct the issue and give the forum more functionality. I failed at both, but I'm not giving up. We are still actively testing VB5 trying to find the bugs in it and fix them. But, they are beyond even the scope of tech support at this time. So it will be a while longer...

Tony

Staff member
Deal with issues here, or deal with the issues on VB5... that is the question. However, on VB5, I know they are working on the issues... VB4, they have given up on... Guess the logical choice is to just move to VB5 and correct the issues as they come. I'm tired of chasing my tail with teh issues we have here.

Tony

Staff member
I am currently updating the test forum with a new version. It's supposed to have over 100 bug fixes within it. We will find out shortly.

Tony

Staff member
Interesting. Now, you must put /index.php, or /content.php, or /forum.php at the end of the url for it to show up... Back to the drawing board...

Top Bottom