Forum Double Posting

Tony

Staff member
So, the forum is still double posting, it's slower than ever, and the "new" versions are worse than this one... I have a feeling that my month and a half of not smoking is about to come to an end...

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I apologize if this has already been asked, but are all the other forums running this and the other software having the same issues as we are?

Tony

Staff member
Nope. In fact, I have another forum, Broke Auto - Bitchin' Auto that is running 4.2.2 and it's doing perfect. But I can't seem to find the reason behind this forum messing up. I have checked and replaced every file, I have went through and looked at every database table, adn everything is fine. I have no idea what is going on here, vbulletin is no help, and my host has no ideas. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot here because I can't fix it, I can't upgrade it and I can't afford for someone else to do the work. The forum is suffering badly and I'm afraid that in about 3 months, I'm not going to have the money coming in to pay the bills around here.

Tony

Staff member
I really hate to say this, but if this forum is going to survive, then we need to leave it on XF. That software was fast, and it worked. The only issues was broken links (because it restructures the links for pages and videos and such), the links out in the search engines will be broke, and I will have to come up with a solution to the articles and blogs... But lets face it, I'm about the only one that really uses the blogs on here. The articles however, are a different story... I'm just unsure on what to do at this time. With all of these forum issues, I have no time to do any "help" on here. I have over 3 pages of threads that I have not read because I have been digging around in the database trying to find the issues with this forum.

Tony

Staff member
Is it me, or is the forum just a hair faster... I made some changes, but it should have no bearing to the speed of the forum. I changed the mail sending settings from PHP to SMTP. When I was on PHP, it was sending one email out every 5 seconds or so. Once I changed to SMTP, it sent over 3000 emails in just under 5 seconds...

I wonder if the issue was with the emails that are sent out when a post is created. If you think about it, members get emails if they are subscribed to a thread. This could slow a forum way down if PHP is taking too long... Yup, looking into it...

Tony

Staff member
Scratch that, had the SMTP information wrong and once I put it right, it slowed down again. I can't seem to win for losing here lately...

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I have looked into the open source, but the problem is, they have less functionality than XF. I need more than XF has, but less or the same as VB has.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I've noticed from my PC and MAC posting has been faster and I have not had any double posts in the last two days

pvolcko

No doubles here in two days either. Don't know about speed. I tend to click off while waiting for it to post.

... edit: that went fast. refreshed within 2 seconds. No hint of double trouble. :)

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I just posted in another thread and it was instantaneous!!!

-------------------UPDATE-------------------

This post was too!!!!!

Tony

Staff member
The thing is, I have done nothing... Guess I need to talk to my host and see if they did anything to the server... As far as I know, the only thing they did was change some mail settings. Will look into it, but like it so far...

pvolcko

Half the double post stuff was probably caused by timeouts (hence the long post times).

- - - Updated - - -

Boom, again, 3sec. no double stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

That was 1sec.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Posted from my tablet............

-------------------------update----------------------

2 seconds and posted!!!! The forum seems to have a quicker response time when browsing the topics as well!

-------------------------update----------------------

Another 2 seconds and posted!

Last edited:
Top Bottom