500 Derek's Trex 500 hover test

Derek

...just an update.

Sam and I have made a deal on the GP780 Gyro that he has available. I was able to pick up a new Align tail servo today, the DS520. I'll swap out the original servo for the new one. Unfortunately, because I have to work Wednesday and Thursday, I won't be able to try again with my 500 until Friday. Maybe the tail issues that I'm having are with the servo and maybe the issues are with the gyro. Either way, once the gryo from Sam gets here, I should be able to tackle either issue.

Thanks again, Sam!!!

Tony

Staff member
Now, you need to get a 450 Pro and put the extra gyro/servo on it to test it on another heli. Sounds like a good excuse to me to get another bird lmao.

Tony

Staff member
It just so happens that I have a 450 on the way to me, and I may just need to "test" some new gyro's and servos lol.

Derek

hmmm, i may just have to do that. Send you the servo and gyro and have you tell me if you think they are good or not. They won't be "new", as you stated above, but it would be nice to know if they are faulty or not.

Derek

well now...I can assure you that being *cough* bad *cough* isn't quite good enough. I'd surely like to know if they are actually bad or actually good, lol.

Tony

Staff member
hehe. Send it on down. Not sure when I will be able to get to it. I still have to put the heli together, check it out and possibly replace the cyclic servos with some Solar servos that I have in the Telemaster that's sitting around and never going to fly. I can't even remember what the setup is on it. I think it has an Alpha 400 motor with a 30a ESC. Talk about a harsh start lmao.

Speaking of harsh start, do you have an Align ESC on your 500? And if so, have you went into the program to make sure it's set to soft start? I think I remember it starting rather quickly.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I just rewatched the video. Not the one that I was thinking of. There is another "Align" heli on here that is starting like a clone lol. Very harsh.

Derek

I do wish that mine started a bit softer, but maybe that's just me. My 500 does start the spool up rather softly.

I just wish I could rid myself of that darn tail issue. Soon enough, I guess. I'm just waiting to hear back from Sam.

Tony

Staff member
That is one thing that I like about the 3GX. So far, I have had 0 tail issues. Everything that I have had wrong with it has been cyclic, and that was cured by the 3.1 upgrade.

Slobberdog

I do wish that mine started a bit softer, but maybe that's just me. My 500 does start the spool up rather softly.QUOTE]

Hey Derek, I have found that when you start it up, go to approx quarter stick let the soft start catch up and then increase the stick further, other wise I think it just bypasses the soft start, I thought I had changed the soft start in my esc when I set up my 450 last week, but if you only use a bit of throttle then let it catch up it works better, for me anyway.

Tony

Staff member
On my 450 Pro V2 that I had, I would just flip the idle up switch. It would spool up nice and slow to full speed. I would be holding about 2º of negative pitch when it's doing it, just below mid stick.

Slobberdog

It might be down to the change in throttle position then, but when I was spooling it up in stages without letting the soft start finish it would just kick the tail quite wild.

Derek

Well, since I don't have my 500 and DX8 here in front of me, lol...I'm not sure, but I think that I give the heli plenty of time to spool up. I'll check the tail blades..make sure they are moving the right way, check the cyclic, check that the swash moves up and down with the collective stick, release the Throttle Hold, and I'm pretty sure that I go to 1/8 stick to get the blades spinning and I wait for a second or two, then 1/4 stick then wait a second or two, then half stick and I'm listening for that super sweet smooth sound and then we are out for some full blown, knock your socks off, Bert Kammerer 3D SMACKDOWN!!! Ok, so the last part isn't true, lol...but the rest of the above is true, lol. ha ha ha!!! :)

Derek

Ok, so...I sent Sam some $$$ for a GP780 gyro that he was offering me. He said that his GF would take the gyro to the post office today. I got a PM from him today with the tracking number. Sounds good! Now, I just hope that the gyro from Sam will solve the tail issues with my 500. If not, I've got an extra Gyro, lol.

Thank you, Sam, for helping me out and thanks to Sam's GF for taking the gyro to the PO!!!

I'm hoping to see the gyro on Saturday...if not...Monday, I'm sure.

Top Bottom