500 Derek's Trex 500 hover test

Derek

After you move that ball, the next thing to do is put your gyro either on the gyro mount (where you have your Rx) or put it on top of the tail boom. I think being right under the main shaft may be affecting it. Don't argue with me, just try it and see what happens. Worst case, you will be out a bit of double sided tape.

I'm heading to the garage to put the gyro on top of the boom support and I'll move my satellite Rx to the bottom tray, at the rear of the frame.

any other thoughts on this?

Tony

Staff member
Not other than going through the gyro setup as stated. There should be something in the manual that can walk you through the setup. I have never done it on them so don't know where to start with them.

Derek

I just got done watching 3 GP780 setup videos on Youtube and all 3 did the same thing, so it can't be that complicated. I'll see what I can do.

Lee

Lots of good advice here Derek.
Make sure you mechanical set up is buttery smooth. Undo the link from the servo and see if the system is moving freely by hand. If not, go through the whole thing from one end to the other, making sure every part isn't binding at all. (As westy showed in his video)
Check the heli size setting as said in the gyro settings.
Check the Delay settings
Ball link placement on servo arm.
If all these are correct, you should be good to go :thumbsup:

Derek

Alright!!! Lee chimes in, too! Awesome! :)

Ok...just got done making some changes. The gyro is now on top of the boom support. The AR6210 satellite Rx is now on the bottom tray, inside the frame, but towards the rear.

The Gyro setup in the manual was alot easier to follow than I thought it would be. Ain't nothing to it. Press and hold the "Setup" button for 2-3 seconds to enter "Setup", then press the button again to switch from each selection. No problem! I did reset the travel. Had to do it twice because I didn't get it quite right the first time, but now the slider moves from left to right with no binding at all.

It's funny that Lee says to under the link from the servo and see that the system is moving freely by hand....I did just that while I was out there, then I come in here to the forum and I see that he suggested that. Awesome! I did recheck the Heli Size and Delay...all good there. Moved the ball link on the servo arm earlier today.

Now, I'm half tempted to take two batteries over to a lit parking lot and play around, lol. Then....common sense kicks in and reminds me of just how tired I am and I should just stay home.

I appreciate the continued help with my rc experience, once again. I'm really looking forward to showing my 500 in the air.

A bit more gyro testing on Monday (hopefully briefly) then I'll do my orientation drills.

Tony

Staff member
If you can't get the hunting taken out of the tail, you may try adding 10-20% delay into it. This will make the gyro hesitate for a split second before reacting thus causing the tail to stop hunting. But, with a good servo, good settings and no binding, you should be fine and won't need it. Another thing that is often over looked is to look down teh tail control rod and make sure it's in a straight line, as straight as possible. I'm thinking about taking the metal rod off the 600 and putting the carbon on it if I can make it fit just to help free it up a bit more. Love the new tail on this one!

Let us know how it goes when you put it in the air again. You know the head is good and the heli is stable, so you can put it in the air and test the tail and the tail only. Hope everything goes well!

Derek

10-20% delay??? I'll keep that in mind and chance are...I'll be back to harass ya's some more. :)

Yeah man!!! The head on this thing is SOOOOO much better now. It's a complete difference from what I remember. Well, like you said....the head in combination with a bit higher head speed than what I'm use to. I'm definitely a happy camper now!!!

Tony

Staff member
I'm here to help when you need it. Unless you need help when the sun is up, then someone else will have to help lmao.

Westy

LEGEND
Lol ... Dracula!...... Tony!

haha

hey Derek.... just one thing .... did you make sure you servo linkage balls are sized and not tight? they are the only other things that can cause binding if the rest of the tail mechs are fine. You will be amazed at how often this is overlooked!

Derek

I'm here to help when you need it. Unless you need help when the sun is up, then someone else will have to help lmao.

Thanks Tony!!!

- - - Updated - - -

hey Derek.... just one thing .... did you make sure you servo linkage balls are sized and not tight? they are the only other things that can cause binding if the rest of the tail mechs are fine. You will be amazed at how often this is overlooked!

Yep, I checked this while I was looking over my 500. I actually just got done watching your video that you did and you were talking about a ball joint or ball link that needed some adjustment. The slider on my 500 slides under it's own weight from left to right and right to left.

Derek

up to this point, I don't think anything mechanical is wrong. I could be wrong. I think I just have a setting that isn't quite right. I've got to work tonight through Sunday, my usual 12 hour shift, so I won't get to mess with the heli until Monday but....you can bet....when Monday comes....I'll have all 3 of my batteries charged up and I'll be ALL OVER THIS FORUM with questions, lol.

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Derek, if you know for sure that is not mechanical problem, throw a known good gyro on there. I have had the exact same problem and took me a good while to figure out. The culprit was a bad Align GP780. I think the gyro was damaged during the previous crash.

Derek

Ok, so I did some more hovering today. Still have the tail wag at 50% and higher gyro gain. The tail is still "hunting" at lower gain. I just really have no idea what to do now. I think the weather is suppose to cooperate tomorrow so I'll try some more hovering and gyro adjustments.

Tony

Staff member
Did you go through the setup on the gyro again? Wondering if the servo isn't trying to go out on you.

Derek

Yep! I went through the gyro setup again. No problems there. If the servo is trying to go out, would it make an "ill" noise or something out of the ordinary? I can move my tail servo from left to right and right to left and then back to center without any issues.

Tony

Staff member
Sometimes. If it's not acting up when plugged directly into the Rx, then you may have a gyro that is not quite right.

Westy

LEGEND
you got another servo to try? If you are sure the Mechanicals are fine, then there are only 2 things to logically change out to test...

gyro..... and servo

Derek

yep..I thought you guys were gonna say that. I just don't wanna buy a new gyro and that not be the issue. However, it's gotta be something...and it might just be the gyro. I'll see what I can find today.

Top Bottom