500 Derek's Trex 500 hover test

Westy

LEGEND
How is this all going Derek? have you got to the bottom of it yet?

Suggestion to ge tthe real answer
Change the servo first..... if no different change the servo back and change the Gyro

Can you see if the Gyro has a loose board inside it? you can hot glue them and re seal!

Just a thought!

Derek

I did swap out the servo's first. The problem is...the servo that is suppose to be new...doesn't work at all. I'm not happy about that. The gyro that I bought from Sam came in the mail today. I'll try putting that on today and see what happens. I've been so busy today, I haven't had a chance to even mess with it.

Derek

the new DS520 that I bought. I need to take it back for a replacement. What a bummer.

I did put the gyro, that I got from Sam, on my helicopter today and hovered it....still got the tail issues. So, from you guys are saying...it's probably that tail servo thats giving me issues. We'll find out when I get the replacement on Wednesday. Gotta work these next 3 days.

Derek

what is that 333 that you are talking about? I did go though the setup again on the gyro for each option on the gyro. Just wanted to be sure that it was set for my heli.

Derek

ok...the 1520 would show up as the GREEN light on the gyro. That I am sure that I have set right. I don't understand the hertz

Tony

Staff member
It may not support it, changing it anyway. Not sure, don't have a manual here in front of me.

Derek

Ok...I just wanted to ask this to double check. The tail servo is plugged into the gyro. From the gyro, the yellow signal wire goes to the GEAR channel on the Rx and the black, red, and white wires go to the AUX1 channel on the Rx.....yes?

If the above is correct, I am at a complete loss here. I got the gyro from Sam and put it on my heli and still have the wagging issue...or "hunting" as Tony said. The tail isn't wagging with severity, but it is still moving from side to side with authority.

Tony

Staff member
No, the 3 wire will go into the rudder port, not Aux1. Aux1 is for the pitch servo. Also, make sure the yellow wire is on the signal side, and not on the ground side.

Derek

That's odd! If my pitch servo is suppose to go to the AUX1, how is it that I'm able to get my heli off the ground? Now I'm even more confused, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

My mistake....as usual. The 3 wires from the Gyro do go to the RUDD channel, the yellow signal wire is in the GEAR channel (with the yellow wire on the signal side, no the negative side) and, indeed, the pitch servo lead is in the AUX1.

I apologize!

Tony

Staff member
I don't know how you did it. You didn't do any mixing did you? If you put ANYTHING in the mix menu, make a new model and never touch the mix menu.

Tony

Staff member
Ah, just got your update. Cool.

Check your gyro menu again and make sure that the channel is gear and the switch is gyro. Apart from sending it to me, I have no idea what is wrong with this. There is no way that two gyros and servos can be bad.

Make sure you have NO delay in the gyro. Make sure you are at 100% on your travel adjustments for the rudder. something has to be wrong, but I'm just grabbing at straws here now.

Derek

Nope, I just double checked and all the wires are going where they are suppose to be going. Since I am convinced that my 500 tail issues are from the Gyro, I will be taking back the faulty DS520 servo that I bought, and was suppose to be new and working, and I'll exchange it. I'll even see if the hobby shop can test run the "new" servo before I leave with it......Then....we'll swap out the servo's and try the hover test again. Ugh!

Tony

Staff member
Derek, send me the ones that were taken off the heli for the new ones. I will put them on the 450 and give them a try. Hell, if your willing to sell them, I may be interested. I'm at work so you can call and chat if you need to. Bored out of my mind after a week off.

Derek

I tell ya, Tony...i'm really hoping that the tail issue is coming from that tail servo that I have. If I put the brand new servo on this heli and the tail is still "hunting"...I'm not gonna be happy. Ya know???:grumpy:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Derek that gyro I sold you was in perfect working order. It work perfect on my 600. I had no tail issues with t. My issues was I wasn't able to fly it lol. So there has to be something iether the mechanical set up is wrong or you have a binding issue or that servo. Go over the tail set up once more and make sure top your servo is at 90 and the tail blades are in a nutural position. Also no binding on the tail. Make sure you ball is where it sapposed to be on the servo horn too. Not sure on your 500 but most setups the ball as to be 10 mm from the center of the horn. That's about all I can say about it.

Derek

No worries, Sam! I wasn't doubting the working condition of the gyro that I got from you when I paid for it and I'm still not doubting the working condition of that gyro now. I'll just keep it around as a spare....just in case. I bought a "new" servo the other day and got it home and that servo didn't work at all. Major "let down"!!! I'll take the defective servo back to the hobby shop and get a new one and I'll have the new servo tested before I even leave the store. I'll come home and put the new servo on the 500 and we'll see what happens. Hopefully I don't end up with another "just in case" spare. What I may end up doing is stripping down the entire tail and starting from scratch. I think I'm going to replace the belt in the tail, anyway, because I was looking at the belt a few hours ago and noticed some fraying on the belt edges.

Even though I really am confident that the tail issue will get worked out, it's just a frustrating process of elimination.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If you belt is frayed that probublly is you issue. It's slipping! I would replace the belt and see what happens from there! Before I spent any more money on things I'm not sure about. You can see the belt is bad!

Top Bottom