450 Derek's and Dustins Blade 450 3D Arrangement

Derek

I just spoke with Dustin a bit about what's going on. He is still being very patient and understanding.

Tony (Blackwarrior), I just checked the tracking number on that servo. FINALLY, the post office site has been updated saying that the package was picked up and has left the post office. Estimated delivery date is this Friday. I'm going to call the Georgia hobby shop tomorrow and ask if the delay was with them or with the post office. 12 days to get a single servo from Georgia to make a 700 mile trip to me in Indiana is just insane. Hobby King's shipping is faster than that!

My Dad and I ordered parts from Hobby King, just last week, for two planes that he and I are working on. I'm not kidding, 4 days later, the parts had made the trip from the west coast to me. I was, once again, impressed!!!

Derek

No, it's definitely not an impressive postage service. I really can't believe it. Dustin ships his helicopter to me and it takes 13 days for it to get to me. Unreal! Then, you order a servo for us, and it's been nearly a week and a half for it, too.

Derek

You need this spacer Derek

Thanks for that, Tony! I'll check with my LHS today to see if they have that in stock. If not, I'll head over to my Dad's house and I can use his precision lathe to make my own spacer.

Also, I have had a few PM's, back and forth, with Jesse. He has a set of servo arms that we need for Dustin's helicopter. I sent him a few dollars, this morning, to pay for shipping. Hopefully he can get them in the mail as soon as possible.

Derek

Yep! It showed up yesterday. Thank you, again, for that! Now I think we are just waiting for the servo horns from Jesse to get here. I did check at my LHS for servo horns that would fit these DS415m servos...no such luck.

Derek

I just got a PM from Jesse. He is going to ship the servo arms tomorrow. Very cool! Thanks Jesse!

Derek

Yes, I did get the servo horns that I bought from Jesse. Thanks for that, Jesse! I think they arrived within 3 days of the time he shipped them. However, the servo horns that he sent are identical to the servo horns that another friend of mine had sent me. My other friend sent me two DS4 "X" configuration servo horns. At first, I was under the impression that these weren't going to work so I simply set them aside. About 7 hours later, it dawned on me....What is the difference between the "Single Arm" servo horn and the "X" configuration servo horn? Ultimately, nothing! At this point in time, I have the "X" configuration servo horns on all 3 DS415m cyclic servos. They are positioned at 90 degrees, the swash plate is level and moves linearly, the mixing arms are parallel with each other, the bell hillers are parallel with each other, we have 0 degrees at mid stick on both blades and on top of all that, we have +/- 10 degrees of collective pitch on both blades and 7 degrees of cyclic pitch.

I was talking with Dustin, on Skype, last night and he asked that I extend the battery leads, from the esc, a little bit. I will be doing that today. With any luck, I'll be able to extend the leads, solder the deans plug back on to the ESC, install the ESC, install the rx, tidy up the wires, and then I can put the helicopter onto my gyro test stand for a spool up. Then, if all that goes well (and hopefully the rain goes away), I can take the helicopter out for a hover. :banana:

Derek

Unfortunately, due to my home life, I was unable to try to hover Dustin's Blade 450 3D today. However, I did spend about 2.5 hours on Skype with him tonight and I did secure his helicopter to my gyro test stand and I was able to spool it up while he watched. He's quite happy!

I have to work the next two nights but I will be off work on Monday and Tuesday of next week and I'll be looking for a maiden flight/tuning flight on Monday. I will have the video camera on hand for this. Hopefully I can get the blades tracking properly, dual rates and expo set, and then have a nice circuit flight. Then, I'll find a box and ship the helicopter (and a bunch of spare parts) back to Dustin for his enjoyment.

I originally told Dustin that I'd keep the helicopter for two weeks. Unfortunately, there was a lot more wrong with the helicopter than I had anticipated. We had to order new parts and wait for shipping and a few delays with my LHS.

Thanks for keep track of the progress of this rebuild and a special "Thanks" to Tony (Blackwarrior) for ordering a tail servo and having it shipped to me. I know Dustin appreciates that greatly!

Top Bottom