450 Derek's and Dustins Blade 450 3D Arrangement

Derek

well, if something can go wrong, it will.

I got the entire tail rotor disassembled and ready to install on the new rotor hub. Here's where things went south, again. This tail rotor is missing a bearing. I'm going to go to the LHS today and I'm going to take these parts with me. Gotta hunt down a bearing.

So, until then, I'll start on the head of the helicopter.

Derek

i started to work on the head. Got these parts replaced:

main shaft
feathering shaft
dampers (and upgraded from the 70 degree to the 80 degree)
thrust bearings
2 upper linkages

all that went well and the head seems to have zero slop in it. Very nice!

I reinstalled the esc after resoldering all the 3.5mm bullet connectors and adding new shrink wrap. I grabbed the AR6115e rx and connected the esc, pitch, aileron, and elevator. Bound the helicopter to my DX6i without issue. I disconnected the linkages to the swash so that I could 90 the servo arms and then the bad luck struck again. The elevator servo not only twitches severely periodically but it will also rotate from one extreme to the other without input. I'll post video of what it's doing.

Dustin...this servo is a huge issue. As you know, I said that I'd pay for the parts to get the helicopter working. My expected budget is starting to get very low. I have to be honest with you. I don't have the budget to replace a servo. I can assure you that this helicopter will NOT fly without that servo being replaced.

What do you want me to do?

concept30

Its ok buddy, you help alot, if you would like to just send the heli back, that will be fine with me, or you can just replace the servo, I Just would love to see it fly, dont care what servo is on it

Derek

Ok, here's the deal now. I took the DS415m servo from the tail and put it in the place of the DS415m servo in the elevator position. This servo works much better. It's much smoother and no twitch at all. However, I just can't seem to get this thing figured out. If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm really very very sorry that I couldn't get this thing to work. I'm really very sorry that I have to admit defeat. In your text to me earlier tonight, you said that I was upset. Not at all. I'm not upset nor mad about anything. I'm not upset nor mad about the condition of the helicopter that you sent to me. I'm just bummed that I couldn't get it figured out for you.

I am going to put the helicopter back together, with all new pieces, and I am going to box up all the other new pieces that I bought for you and I'm going to ship the helicopter back to you. You'll have quite an extensive lot of spare parts. Unfortunately, I've come to the limit of my expected financial budget and I've simply run out of ideas on what to do next. Once you get the helicopter back, maybe you can take a good look at the manual, again, and see if you can get it to work. Do you have a swashplate leveling tool and a pitch gauge? Both will be needed.

The new parts that will be coming with the helicopter include:

tail rotor case
tail rotor hub
tail blades
vertical and horizontal stabilizer
feathering shaft
main shaft
flybar
all new linkages
tail booms
head dampers
autorotation gear
tail boom supports

I can't express how sorry I am, Dustin. I tried. I really did!

Are you saying it only needs a servo to fix it Derek?? If I remember I had DS76's on mine and they were spot on. If that's all you need then price one up in your area and I'll send you the cash via paypal...

concept30

That be great Tony, thanks for helping, I should have had my 450 fixed and ready to fly, i feel so stupid for having all this on Derek. never again

Derek

I sent a text to Dustin, just a little while ago. I'm going to continue to work on it. There has to be something that I'm missing with the set up. I'll go over it again and then post a video to show the set up troubles.

Don't worry Dustin! We'll get it!!

Derek

Thanks very much, Tony! From Grayson Hobby, I imagine the shipping will be their usual...never more than 3 days.

Derek

Tony was kind enough to buy a servo for the Blade 450 3D from a shop here in the states and have it shipped to me. He gave me the tracking number. I checked on it today and the website shows that the servo hasn't even left the post office yet. Unbelievable!!!

Derek

I did order a new set of thrust bearings for the tail rotor grips because the tail was missing these. Thrust bearings should be in today.

Derek

Actually, I don't blame the company at all. I blame the Post Office. Grayson Hobby took the servo to the Post Office. It's the Post Office that's dragging their feet.

That's 2 days after I ordered it on 12th.... Here's the order date from email I got. I left the company name out.

Invoice
------------------------------------------------------
Order Number: 54267
Date Ordered: Sunday 12 October, 2014

Hopefully be there soon..

I got shipping confirmation on the 14th. So yes seems like courier at fault

Last edited:
Top Bottom