600 Derek's Align Trex 600e Pro DFC

Derek

Ok...i have an awesome report...

My headache is gone and the crisis has been averted. In typical "Derek" fashion, I was over-thinking things....again. I stepped away from the helicopter and just fired up the simulator for a bit. I came back to the 600 and re-checked things.

At mid stick, I was at +7.3. At high stick, blade 1 was 19.3 and blade 2 was at +19.1. At low stick, blade 1 was at -3.9 and blade 2 was at -3.9. I started to shorten the linkage rods, 3 turns at a time, each. Long story short (we're gonna speed to the end of the story), I now have 0 at mid stick and I am +/- 12 degrees (give or take 0.1 degrees) on both blades. FINALLY!!!

Excuse me while I dance a bit :wiggle::banana::wave::thumbsup::chickendance::hdbng::bling::party::twothumbsup:

I proceeded to get the throttle end points set...done.

Double checked all my settings in the Ikon...done.

Set Level for the self level feature on the Ikon...done.

Now, I have some batteries on the charger and I just need to go over a few spots and add a bit of locktite and this helicopter can be considered "Done!".

I spoke with Lee, last week or the week before, and he said that he ran a full battery through his Goblin, on the ground, and then checked all bolts, linkages, etc. I'm going to do the same. After that battery run, I'll double check all bolts, linkages, etc, and then we'll see about a maiden hover in the real near future.

***sigh of relief***

***and another sigh of relief***

Derek

Yeah...the major issue is that I was over thinking things again. I thought I was shortening the linkage rods, when in fact I was lengthening them. The numbers just never seemed to come out right. I'd think about it and I'd lose my mind. In my confusion, I was making mistake after mistake and it just got ugly.

I can build them. I can fly them. Getting them set up is something that I need to work on.

I need to get the new 6S Glacier packs wrapped up and put on my battery tray properly so that I can have a second flight pack, along with my 6S Gens Ace packs. Set the cg and we should be in good shape.

Derek

Well, the 600 is ready to go! I finished up the soldering on the second flight pack. Set the batteries on the battery trays so the cg is good. I have the ESC programmed. Main blades balanced. I think that's it.

Unfortunately, I'm working tonight and tomorrow but I'm taking Sunday off. I'll do the first spool up on either Sunday or Monday.

Derek

Ok....last year I built a "gyro test stand" from 3/4" plywood and a Lazy Susan. It works very well with my 450 and my 500. I decided to secure my 600 to the test stand for the initial spool up. Good Lord!!! What power!!! I was happy to see that the blade tracking is "spot on" perfect. Very happy to see that!!! However, the test run was cut short because there is a "noise" coming from the helicopter that I don't believe is acceptable. It's either coming from the Front Drive Gear Assembly or the bearings on top and bottom of the FDGA. I'm going to make a short trip to my LHS tomorrow and see if they have the parts in stock. If not, I'll call on HeliDirect.

I do have a bit of video of the 600 on my gyro test stand. I'll upload that tomorrow. We still have our computer in our daughters room and she is very much asleep right now.

But.....I do have video...the 600 makes an awesome sound and it was quite a rush for me. WOW!

Derek

Get her in the air Derek:) good luck:)

I'm trying buddy, I really am.

Lets hear this sound.
Are you sure it wasn't coming from you ;) LOL :D

I'll take a video and hopefully the sound is audible in the video. I am quite sure that the noise wasn't from me, lol. I think my eyes popped out of my head when this thing spooled up and roared at me with all 44.4+ volts!!!

Derek

Here is a video, on the bench and not powered up, of my 600 and the "odd noise". After further inspection, and some help from a Youtube buddy, I'm going to replace the warped drive gears, main gear hub, and then repack the bearings. I'll post the video of the initial spool up after it's finished uploading......well, I'll post that video once I get back from the LHS.

Trex 600e Pro DFC odd noise - YouTube

Derek

Ok, I'm back from the LHS...bought some goodies. New front and rear torque tube drive gear sets, new autorotation gear, and another prop for one of my planes. I didn't find a main gear hub nor the slant main gear, so I will order those. Oh, I did find a couple new bearings at the LHS, too, so I bought them as well.

Anyway...here is the video of yesterday's initial spool up of my 600. The video is about 10 minutes long....a bit boring...but it's a start.

Trex 600e Pro DFC initial spool up - YouTube

Lee

It does sound like something is a bit gritty, but i'm sure you will find it.
Could be any moving part from the front drive gear back.

Dirk

Is that sattellite RX cable in the shrink wrapping not awfully close to the umbrella gear Derek? That would make me very nervous with that "saw" running right next to that wire.

Any way that you can re-route the sat wire?

I remember going from my 450 to the 550 scared the living crap out of me. Same now when I went from my 550 to my new 700. Scary as hell!! Will have respect!!!!

Last edited:

Derek

It may have been the camera angle that made the RX wire look close to the gears but that wire is secured to the frame and won't interfere with the gears at all.

Derek

using the Ikon, D/R settings in the tx aren't used, is that right? The dual rates are actually set with the "agility" settings in the Ikon programming...correct?

Top Bottom