600 Building the SAB Goblin 630

Lee

I just heard a guy say he cam in tail first on asphalt, and the boom broke away from the frame. No damage to the boom, only scratches. Can't wait to see you fly this Marius.
How are you liking the Helidrive motor. Seem like a great option for the price.

Adam

I think alot of us are anxious to see this thing fly. Man that power house is a work of art.

stokke

Thanks for the comments guys :D I'll have to contact my domain/server provider about the images - something seems to be not right...?

The Goblin is finished, but I'll have to update tomorrow. I'm beat!

How are you liking the Helidrive motor. Seem like a great option for the price.

Remember I have no grounds for comparison, the Helidrive is the only motor I've had. But it seems to get the job done - really powerful that's for sure. And I don't have any complaints either :)

stokke

I previously wrote about how NOT to assemble tail, belts and gyro platform. Well, here it comes in the correct order:

Assemble three pins for gyro platform.

P1020117.JPG

Insert and tighten boom.

P1020118.JPG

Mount motor with belt.

P1020119.JPG

Mount tail belt.

P1020120.JPG

Put on the gyro platform.

P1020121.JPG

Running wiring.

P1020122.JPG

P1020123.JPG

P1020124.JPG

Put on the head.

P1020125.JPG

When the JR crashed, the Rx pack got tossed into the woods LOL. So I had to get a new one.

P1020126.JPG

P1020127.JPG

The Goblin head has lines on the top. These can be used as a reference for setting up 0° pitch (later on I find you cannot trust this).

P1020128.JPG

Adjusted.

P1020129.JPG

Put on the battery straps (they smelled suspiciously much like condoms... LOL)

P1020130.JPG

Wrapped two 6S packs together for easier insertion/removal of battery.

P1020131.JPG

Added some velcro (the battery tray does not have a back wall - so I wanted to be sure the packs don't eject out the back while flying).

P1020132.JPG

P1020133.JPG

P1020134.JPG

P1020135.JPG

Mounting canopy trinkets.

P1020136.JPG

P1020137.JPG

P1020138.JPG

P1020139.JPG

Tail blades.

P1020140.JPG

P1020141.JPG

The head is secured with one penetrating bolt and two securing bolts (clamp tighteners). But the threads inside the head for the two bolts were missing...?

P1020142.JPG

So I found some longer bolts.

P1020143.JPG

These protrude out on the back.

P1020144.JPG

Lock nuts.

P1020145.JPG

The main blades did not fit in the grips...

P1020146.JPG

Blade grips are 14mm.

P1020147.JPG

Blade base is about 12mm.

P1020148.JPG

Found some of the JR's blade shims.

P1020149.JPG

P1020150.JPG

This is not optimal, but it'll have to work until I get the Goblin shims.

P1020151.JPG

I checked my CG, and found the bird is a bit tail heavy. So I opted to place the Rx pack as close to the front as possible.

P1020152.JPG

This contraption is my power lead.

P1020153.JPG

P1020154.JPG

Rx Sat mounted underneath up front.

P1020155.JPG

And there you have it. BeastX set up. Head set up. Good to go.

P1020170.JPG

P1020172.JPG

P1020173.JPG

Thought I'd do the maiden in the garage, but this thing sure is noisy at 1AM :D :D LOL So I just got the spool up.

Goblin 630 - First spool up - YouTube

So now it's just sitting there. Waiting.

P1020174.JPG

Maiden when I get home from work today!

Slobberdog

Work of art Marius, mount it over the fireplace when not flying it that is, LOL

fair play it looks great,

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Sounded beautiful! Now for some air time! Lol. I've got the icheys to get mine going. Just a weekend or two and she will be done.

Lee

It sounded quiet. The belt drive is like a stealth machine compared to others.

canongraphy

Yea Marius! you did it its ready to rock and roll the skies!
I have the honor of being the first to view your spool up last night before bed, sounds great! and can't wait to see this work of art flying.
Great job bro I am blown away from your presentation and craftsmanship on this bird Bravo!
Now...LET HER EAT! :)

stokke

Well here it is you guys, the maiden:

Goblin 630 Maiden Flight - YouTube

I know, it's boring. But I had to take it easy, I didn't know what to expect! It flies, not well - but it flies.

I had another flight as well, were I kick it up in IU for a short while. A bit more maneuvering this time, but still very careful. Flying without the canopy, as I struggle with mounting it properly.

Goblin 630 Second Flight - YouTube

There seems to be an issue with the gains on my beastX, I'll have to put her through some test flights to get everything perfect.

This concludes the Goblin build, thank you for following along - and all your comments :)

canongraphy

Nice Marius! was everything ok on your second flight, it made a different sound twice and you cut it off both times during your spoolup, was something wrong or were you just checking it?
Sounded fine after you removed the canopy. Glad you got it airborne and look forward to your future flights, thanks for sharing bud!

stokke

Nice Marius! was everything ok on your second flight, it made a different sound twice and you cut it off both times during your spoolup, was something wrong or were you just checking it?
Sounded fine after you removed the canopy. Glad you got it airborne and look forward to your future flights, thanks for sharing bud!

Thank you Jeff :) The motor was rubbing against the canopy, that was the noise you heard. I've edited out the parts where I mess about, and go straight to flying without canopy now.

looking good for the first fights

Thanks Jesse :)

Nice maden Marius! She flys! Lol

Thanks Sam :)

Lee

The two stage drive is so quiet. I love it. Well done mate, look forward to seeing you start to throw it around. :thumbsup:

pvolcko

Congrats, Marius! I'm sure you'll have the gremlins worked out soon. :)

Did you do those flights with default gain pot settings on the 7200bx? You may have to bump them up a bit for a 700 size heli.

Westy

LEGEND
Sounded Awesome at 2.35 when you kicked in the Idle Up! ..... I thought you were going to go nuts with it! heh heh....

Top Bottom