600 Building the SAB Goblin 630

stokke

Congrats, Marius! I'm sure you'll have the gremlins worked out soon. :)

Did you do those flights with default gain pot settings on the 7200bx? You may have to bump them up a bit for a 700 size heli.

The settings are the same as with the JR Vibe I had before (same BX unit). So I'll have to get it dialed in properly.

Looks great. How's it handle vs the vibe?

For now it handles like crap. Need a bunch of test flights to get it right.

Sounded Awesome at 2.35 when you kicked in the Idle Up! ..... I thought you were going to go nuts with it! heh heh....

No nuts just yet. For now I'm tuning and adjusting while waiting for some new parts.

I went Idle up in the starting .. I kicked into Id2 right before the tic tocs.. and 3d right before the landing when I did another tic toc

yes it was fun!

I'm not taking any chances with this thing! :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
sorry marius bro.. I commented on the wrong page. I honestly thought that the page open was from my video this afternoon of Whiplash 90.. and i thought Westy had replied to it.. And that was my respomse to westy.. LOL

CONFUSION :p

But the BIRD looks beautiful bro!! Good job putting it in the air!

wolfman76

man that bird looked and sounded goo from what i saw it looked pretty responsive but then again i was watching a video and was not at the sticks so looks can be decieving i guess,,, the bird looks good though hope you get it worked out.... the sound the blades make is way different then a normal heli they just sound different...

stokke

man that bird looked and sounded goo from what i saw it looked pretty responsive but then again i was watching a video and was not at the sticks so looks can be decieving i guess,,, the bird looks good though hope you get it worked out.... the sound the blades make is way different then a normal heli they just sound different...

I'm sure the Goblin will do it's job, just need a bit of tweaking :D

Whirlybird

The two stage drive is so quiet. I love it. Well done mate, look forward to seeing you start to throw it around. :thumbsup:

For someone like me just bouncing around my little Quadie . . . He WAS throwing it around . . . even in the first video :lol:

Bravo Marius :hdbng: Great build and great flying :chuckles:

stokke

For someone like me just bouncing around my little Quadie . . . He WAS throwing it around . . . even in the first video :lol:

Bravo Marius :hdbng: Great build and great flying :chuckles:

LOL :D Thank you Frank!

______

Received the original blade shims today.

P1020175.JPG

P1020176.JPG

P1020177.JPG

The motor belt rides quite low on the gear.

P1020178.JPG

So I'm going to move the motor pulley closer to the motor.

P1020179.JPG

Here you can see residue from the main gear wearing in. I'll clean this, and apply new silicone grease.

P1020181.JPG

Here's today's test flight. The GF is working the camera, sooooo... Yeah.

http://youtu.be/furThBXQYZ8

The Goblin still feels sluggish and weird. The tail also seems to have some problems - it overshoots and doesn't feel quite right. The tail control rod is a bit too long, so the tail geometry is not good. I have ordered a new rod which I'll cut down to the perfect length.

I think I'll have to have a look at the head set up as well. New metal servo horns are on their way, so I'll have the chance to do the head over then.

Lee

Have you tried reducing the tail dynamics (dial 3) to reduce the bounce back of the tail?

stokke

Have you tried reducing the tail dynamics (dial 3) to reduce the bounce back of the tail?

I can try it. You see when the servo is at 90°, the slider is not centered (due to the rod being too long) - I suspect this is why the tail is crap.

Regarding the cyclic response; I suspect I made a mistake when calibrating the pitch gauge, so the entire head setup is out of whack. But I'm not gonna bother doing anything before my new servo arms arrive.

Meanwhile I'll try the tail dynamic. Thanks Lee ;)

Lee

Why can't you just cut the tail rod you have down a bit? I had to do that with my Warp. I used a lighter to release the epoxy and pulled out the metal rod, then cut down the carbon section and re-epoxied the metal rod back in.
I wouldn't trust those plastic servo arms. Glad you are replacing them with the metal ones.

stokke

Why can't you just cut the tail rod you have down a bit? I had to do that with my Warp. I used a lighter to release the epoxy and pulled out the metal rod, then cut down the carbon section and re-epoxied the metal rod back in.
I wouldn't trust those plastic servo arms. Glad you are replacing them with the metal ones.

Problem is that I used CA on the metal part on the tail rod. I can look into it - maybe I'm able to loosen one of the sides. I don't trust the plastic horns! You should've seen the tail servo warp the horn while I was setting tail end points. The plastic horn is quite beefy for a plastic horn, but the servo is super strong - bent the servo arm 45°!! I'll be replacing that horn LOL :)

I have a crick in my neck now. :)

:D :D :D

Lee

I don't know if you have Decathlon up there in Norway Marius, but i buy carbon tubes from them, for stunt kites for about 6 euros for 1.6m. Its exactly the same stuff as the carbon rod that come with the Warp.

Westy

LEGEND
Hey Stokke,

I was just going through your build with a fine toothed comb!!!! you know ... cause I am into them ya know!!!

I have a few questions....

1. in this pic... from your build.... what the heck is that screw for in front of the teflon screws?
P1020018.JPG

2. How Tight did you do up the Teflon Screws.

3. I made the exact same mistake on the Controller plate haha!!!!

and yes I agree that some things that SAB have thrown in the kit for us to do ... is laughable here is my list of Pet Peaves with my build

• The Tail Servo Carbon Tube
  • Threading the Landing Skid plastic anti scratch pads (why they did not pre thread them ... I just can't figure it out).
  • Threading the Tail servo Plastic Inserts ..... What a pain in the you know what... get those threaded
  • Tight entry hold for the tail servo
  • No Explanation of what the screw does in front of the teflon screws on the boom

stokke

Hey Stokke,

I was just going through your build with a fine toothed comb!!!! you know ... cause I am into them ya know!!!

I have a few questions....

1. in this pic... from your build.... what the heck is that screw for in front of the teflon screws?
(picture)

2. How Tight did you do up the Teflon Screws.

3. I made the exact same mistake on the Controller plate haha!!!!

and yes I agree that some things that SAB have thrown in the kit for us to do ... is laughable here is my list of Pet Peaves with my build

• The Tail Servo Carbon Tube
  • Threading the Landing Skid plastic anti scratch pads (why they did not pre thread them ... I just can't figure it out).
  • Threading the Tail servo Plastic Inserts ..... What a pain in the you know what... get those threaded
  • Tight entry hold for the tail servo
  • No Explanation of what the screw does in front of the teflon screws on the boom

1. That screw is in place to make sure you don't press the boom too far in.

2. Keeping in mind that they'll break if you tighten them too much, I tightened them as hard as I dared.

3. Stupid gyro plate. That sure was a pain in the behind alright :D

__

In my experience no build goes on rails - there's always some complications. It's the amount of complications that sum up what quality the kit has.

Westy

LEGEND
Thanks for getting back to me I agree on your last comment :)

Also .... are you only running one Sat on the Goblin?.... I have got 2 just in case!

1. That screw is in place to make sure you don't press the boom too far in.

2. Keeping in mind that they'll break if you tighten them too much, I tightened them as hard as I dared.

3. Stupid gyro plate. That sure was a pain in the behind alright :D

__

In my experience no build goes on rails - there's always some complications. It's the amount of complications that sum up what quality the kit has.

stokke

I run the AR7200BX which has an antenna on the Rx, so only need one Sat :D But after getting the Ikon for my Gaui, I'm seriously considering getting that for the Goblin as well.

Westy

LEGEND
cool! ... yeah I am gong to be running IKON on mine .... I wish I could afford a Helicommand
hc3-sx-logo.jpg

That is what I would love to run on it ... for the insurance policy it offers!

Westy

LEGEND
yup....
hc3-sx-logo.jpg
has bail on

both inverted and normal side up axis.... thus insurance/mitigation against impending impacT!

The above FBL controller is superior in every way as unlike its competitors ..... it detects which hovering orientation is closest at the point of bail out/stabilisation mode engaged and place the heli in that orientation fast.

other controllers, if closer to the inverted plane ..... will flip the heli 180 into normal flight mode .... losing valuable time and air to ground distance while doing so.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
What! am i not reading the forums. When? that is sweet bro! i had to look twice I thought it was Westy's. Man i need a new look to mine.

Top Bottom