Who's Into Saltwater?

Tony

Staff member
Have you ever heard those people that say "you should listen to your wife!". Well, I want to punch them in the head right now lol. She told me that she wanted to take our tank to the next level by adding an ro/di system, new lab grade PH probe for more accurate PH measurements, as well as making the fresh water top off automated with the new apex system. If my wallet wasn't screaming before, it's hoping it will die now...

the PH probe that we purchased with the apex kit seems to be bad. In the picture below, you can see that our ph has spiked a few times as well as bottomed out. In a saltwater tank, you are looking to keep a PH of about 8.3. Well we have been VERY low, and VERY high according to the probe. With standard chemical PH testing, we are showing that we are right around 8.0 to 8.1 and that is pretty much where it's staying. So I'm positive that the probe is bad. The one that we have is a standard grade probe and is known for going out of calibration. We also ordered more calibration fluid and I'm going to try to calibrate this one just to see if it's in fact, bad. The Lab Grade probe is way more accurate and stays in calibration longer hence saving money on calibration fluid. And giving us the results that we should be getting. and before you say anything, the kit came standard with the cheaper probe. the lab grade is an upgrade. But now, I can put a probe in my ro/di water to check it before mixing salt and after to see the change and to match the PH before dumping it into the tank.

She also talked me into getting a new, stronger pump for the tank. Well, she didn't have to say much actually. We have a 950 GPH (Gallon Per Hour) pump on the tank now and it's doing great, or so I thought. When we got the tank, as I was cleaning everything one of the screws that hold the impeller in broke off due to the salt in the water. It just rusted through. Ah well, we have 5 more screws to hold that on. Yeah well, I cleaned it yesterday and broke another 2. Not only that, but this pump that is rated at 93 watts is pulling about double that. The new 1200 GPH pump that we ordered is rated at 110 watts, so we are going to check that as well. And yes, the Apex controller tells me how much energy the whole tank is pulling. Most of the time, I'm pulling about 2.3 amps, but when the heater kicks on, it goes just above 4 amps. Yeah, it has a pretty good pull on the system. But, this is FAR less than what I had on my old tank that was HALF the size and running T5HO lighting. I'm loving the LED's lol. so anyway, we ordered a bigger pump for more water flow since I plan on running a phosphate reactor as well as a carbon reactor off of that pump as well. And if the water flow is too much, we can just simply close the valve a bit and we are good to go. The old 950GPH will be used in the 55 gallon barrel to mix new salt as well as pump it into the tank when it's ready.

Along with that, we purchased an add-on to the apex system. It's called an I/O Breakout Box. What it does is gives the system and on or off sensor to tell it to do different things. Such as, I can add a magnetic switch to the door that will not only tell me if someone is in my canopy or stand messing with things, but I can also program it to turn on the light when I open the stand door. Pretty cool, huh? But, we are going one step further. I'm adding two float switches to the tank, or more specifically, to the sump for an ATO (Automatic Top-Off). When water evaporates from a tank, and they all evaporate, ONLY the fresh water evaporates. This causes the salinity, or amount of salt in the water to go up since salt will not evaporate. Just think about the salt flats that they race on, the salt will remain. But in this system, as the water evaporates, it will trigger the small pump that we also ordered to pump fresh water back into the tank until it flips the switch off. There will also be another switch in the fresh water bucket so that we don't run the small pump dry. It will tell the apex system to NOT use the pump and to send us an email that the water bucket is empty. Again, pretty cool huh? lol.

so along with the PH probe, new return pump and new I/O and ATO, we are also expecting what's called Kalk, or Kalkwasser. This in lamens terms is Calcium. But what I purchased is called Kalk+2. And this has calcium, strontium, and magnesium in the same ionic ratios found in aragonite. This means my calcium levels will always be where they should be, about 450PPM (Parts Per Million). Yes, this tank needs all fo that stuff for proper coral growth. But there is a problem. The PH of this stuff when mixed is about 14, WAY too high to just dump in the tank, so it has to have a VERY slow delivery method. How am I going to do it? I'm going to mix it in the ATO system mentioned above. The tank, as long as the house is at the same temp all the time (and it will be with the new digital thermostat), it will have a VERY predicable evaporation rate. Meaning I can just mix the top off water with the Kalk+2 and boom, every thing is taken care of.

I also ordered some new salt that I have not used before. It's called reef crystals. Right now, I'm using standard salt that is used to make saltwater by Instant Ocean. Well, it's great and has done a great job, but with me wanting to get into SPS (Small Polyp Stony) and LPS (Large Polyp Stony) corals, I'm going to need more calcium, strontium and magnesium, as well as more trace elements to help support the corals that eat it up at a much faster rate. So, that is where Reef Crystals comes in. It's made by the same company, Instant Ocean, but it has "higher than sea water concentrations" of said minerals. So it should be a bit better for everything in the tank. The bad part is, just like with adding new fish, you have to acclimate the fish to the water. And with changing the whole composition of the salt that is being used, we are going to have to acclimate EVERYTHING to this new salt by doing a LOT of very small water changes. It will take time, but I'm sure it will pay off in the end.

Along with all of that, comes the most expensive part of the order, the RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis / Deionized) system. As some of you know, I live out in the country and we are on well water. This water has been great for what we were doing before because there is a LOT of calcium in our water, and our water is VERY hard. Although this is NOT good for all of the faucets in the house, the saltwater inhabitants LOVE it. But, along with what's good, there is also that which is bad. Like phosphates (grows horrible nuisance algae), heavy metals (iron, copper and so on) as well as TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) that are in EVERYONES water! This is not something that we want in our tank, but we have dealt with it since there is no chlorine in our water unlike city water.

One thing that we are VERY lucky with is the copper aspect of the water. copper will kill snails and corals and more. Well, all of the water in our house goes through copper pipes, and yes, that is enough to kill what's in my tank. Well, this kit gets rid of that. It has 5 stages of filtration, as listed below.

5 Stages of Filtration:
•Purtrex 5 micron depth sediment filter
•MATRIKX CTO 5 micron carbon block
•MATRIKX CTO PLUS 0.6 micron carbon block
•Two(2) - 75 GPD Dow Filmtec Membrane
•Single Deionization(DI) stage with refillable cartridge

With this kit, I will be getting perfectly clean water that is ideal for putting into a VERY expensive aquarium. And for those large jobs, this system will make 150 gallons per day. That may not seem like a lot, but look again at the size of the filters, down to .6 micron and the membrane is even smaller than that. The DI part of the system is what removes the TDS and there is even a gauge on there to tell you what they are coming in, and going out. Coming in, I'm expecting something around 300 out of my well. Going out, should be 0. Yes, dissolved solids. Just think about what that means, then think about the water you are drinking. There is a reason I put coffee in my water hahaha.

Not only will this give me perfectly clear water, but if I wanted to, I could run a T off the line going from the membrane to the DI canister and I could drink the water that is coming out of it. It's cleaner than what you get in your water bottles. and would help save my coffee pot against calcium. You DO NOT want to drink ro/di water since the DI takes out what is good in the water, or should I say good for you, but ro water is perfect for drinking.

Then, here comes the next issue. We are on a well. This means our water pressure is only about 28psi on average. For this system to operate correctly, we need to be up around 60psi. Not only will it produce more water with less waste (by the way, there is a 4:1 waste to good water), but the membrane will last longer and you will get more life out of your DI resin. So we had to purchase a booster pump. OMG they are proud of those things. But, right on the front of it, it has a nice stamp that I always LOVE to see... "MADE IN THE U.S.A.!" So I know it's quality.

The final thing that we ordered was a float switch. I really dont' want to be hanging around a barrel waiting for it to fill up and then shut off the system. This float switch will work just like the float in your toilet. When the water level is high enough, it will shut off the water flow. And since there is a pressure switch on the pump that comes with it, it will also shut the booster pump off as well.

So there you go. If you listen to your wife, you may end up spending MORE money than you would have on your Rc hobby... doesn't sound right to me, but that is the way it worked out hahaha. No matter though, I love this tank and enjoy sitting around watching all of the fish. Oh yeah, speaking of fish, we added 3 more to the tank today. The wife went out and purchased 3 Engineer Goby's, or better known as Convict Goby's. They are a blast to watch once they are used to the tank. so we are getting a fully stocked tank MUCH faster than I thought we would. Loving every minute of it.

As stated WAAAAAYYYY up there in the post, below is the picture of the PH readings since I have had the system. As you can see, they are all over the place.

AquaTech.jpg

AquaTech.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That is the plan anyway. For the Acropora, I can get a 1" frag and sell it for about $65. Montipora I can do at about the same price. The Colt I can sell for about $40 and the zoos I can sell for about $5 a polyp. Mushrooms are about $10 each. And if the cardinals breed, I can sell those fry for about $15 each. same with the clowns.

Our plans are to breed the fish and frag the corals to make the money back and pay for the tank. We are in the planning stage of setting up a coral only tank just for fragging and a breeders tank just for fish. Both with nothing in the bottom so it's easy to clean. And both with the old LED lights that will again be controlled by the apex controller for custom ramp times.

If I play my cards right, I will be able to make the total cost of the tank back in about 3 years. And it will sustain it's self.

That is the plan anyway lol. And if/when we do get this started and going, I will cut you a deal on some stuff to get you into it. You know you want to lmao. Just wait until the coralline algae starts to grow. It will completely transform this tank in color. Should start happening in about a month or so. In 6 months, we should have about 50% coverage. Just takes time.

Tony

Staff member
I have spent tonight reading, yes reading, on just the controller that controls the tank. With the addition of the new hardware, I'm going to have to configure everything to work together and let me tell you, it can be pretty hard. First off, I'm going to configure the tank where I can control everything from here at the base. then I need to setup the ATO mentioned above. I'm also going to install a micro switch on the doors so that when they are opened, the light will come on. I'm also going to setup a button on the controller that I can hit one button and it will turn off the pump, heater, skimmer and ATO so that I can clean out the pump. I'm also going ot set it up where you push a button and the heater, skimmer, main pump and one power head turn off so that the fish can eat without having to chase the food too much lol.

In reading all of this stuff, there are a TON of different codes that I can use. To break it all down, it's all "true or false" commands, but holy crap there are so many ways you can do it. From the "If" commands to "DoW" that tells something to turn on or off certain Days Of the Week. There is just so much you can do with this, I'm not quite sure where to start lmao. Man I love setting this stuff up almost more than I like building heli's and planes. Almost.

I'm really thinking about talking to the wife about getting some controllable power heads so that we can get a good wave action going in the tank that the corals love. But, two power heads, $500... Not sure that one is going ot happen lol.

Tony

Staff member
Well, when I got home from work, after reading some networking specs on the system, I thought I would set it up so that I can access it from outside the house. Well it turns out I need to spend more money to make that happen. What sucks is I'm pretty much locked in to using DynDNS at $25 a year. Um, NOPE, that's not going to happen. since I don't have a static IP at my house, I guess I'm stuck with intranet only.

murankar

Staff member
No-ip.com. they have a free service that maps your IP to their static IP. I have used it many times and works great.

Tony

Staff member
The only issue with that is my router doesn't support it. Only DynDNS and one other that I have never heard of that is even more expensive. I would like to run the router just because it's always hooked up to the internet and will update my IP as soon as it changes. I can run it on my computer, but it only gets turned on on the weekends so there may be times when I can't connect because my IP has been renewed during the week. I will see what I can do though. Thanks for the link.

Tony

Staff member
Just checked, no-ip wants $25 to sign up. May just have to do with DynDNS. I think I just found a free way in.

Tony

Staff member
I gave up on trying to access the tank from outside the house. For some reason no matter what port I choose, it's getting blocked. port 80 being blocked is common, but I Have tried other ports with the same outcome. Oh well, Like there would be anything I can do if I'm at work...

Wolfman

Tony you have been bitten by the saltwater bug bad! I have a 72 gallon bow front sitting empty in the living room now. We gave up, can't keep fish alive when you can't regulate the temps, no central ac, wood burner heat is not steady enough for fish. Winter was not to bad with the heater to level things out, but summer is another story, with the heater unplugged we were still cooking fish temp at one point was 96.
Oh well you are having enough fun for all of us. I have enough animals to keep track of without the fish, 2 full blooded wolves, 9 cats a black Canadian squirrel, 6 chickens, and now 6 ducks. We spend more in animal feed than human food a week.
Good luck with your tanks, they look great.
Randy

Tony

Staff member
Cleaned up your double post, it happens sometimes.

Wow, 96ºF, that is HOT!!! These fish don't like it above about 84ºF at the hottest. Once I hit 81º, I have a fan that kicks on to help cool the tank. 82º, my controller kills the lights and heater (just in case) to keep from heating up the tank any more.

What you need is a chiller. They make a small one for a tank of your size, but it's still about $400 for it. But well worth it if you are having heat issues.

If I was closer, I would take that tank off your hands if you wanted to sell it. I just found a 165 gallon bow front that I want in a bad way. But, don't have the $3000 to spend on it lmao.

I think everyone should have a tank like this. If you actually read all 172 posts in this thread (I would be surprised lmao), you will see that this was NOT an easy task to get to this point. I tried to go cheap and buy used, and it bit me in the ASS! Big time.

Update to come after I figure out where I am in this thread. There is a LOT going on right now with this tank.

Tony

Staff member
Alright guys and gals, Here is the update on the tank since the last update where I was reading.

Lets start off back with the controller. WOW, this thing has more features that I would have ever thought. No matter what I want to do, this controller can do it. There is even one person that has his tank running on this controller, and it's ALSO controlling his beer brewery! He is regulating the PH and temp, turning on fans, dosing what it needs and turning on heaters when it needs it. After a pre determined time, it will pump it all into a strainer where it will finish the whole process. This ALMOST makes me want to drink beer just so I can do this lmao. But, I HATE beer and will stick with whiskey!

Okay, back to the tank. The controller is mounted, but I plan on moving it into a custom enclosure to keep the salt spray from the tank. But, that is a later post when I start cutting acrylic.

The controller is doing great in controlling everything except the lights in and on the tank. When the wife feeds, she hits one button on the display and it turns off my skimmer, main pump, and when that happens, the fish come running because they know what is coming. the only downside to this is when the pump kicks back on (by it's self after a predetermined time), it tosses a crapload of microbubbles into the tank. It's not a bad thing really, but it's very annoying. I need to install a one way valve so that the pump stays submerged in water and has no chance of producing these. Simple install of a VERY expensive part.

So, everything is working great, there couldn't possibly be anything to order for it... Oh but wait, there's more hehe.

I talked to the wife and we decided to get an ro/di system for this tank. We are worried about nitrates and phosphates in our water as well as the TDS count. So, the wife okay'd the ordering of the ro/di with a booster pump. We need the booster pump since we are on a well and only have about 25lbs of pressure in our house. The pump boosts it up a LOT lol.

Lets back up a bit for a second. With this order I also ordered a new Lab Grade PH Probe. Why did I order another probe you ask? Because this one that I have is not staying in calibration at all. I was freaking out when my PH went from 8.2 (where is should be) to about 7.4. I was freaking out lmao. Then we did a chemical test on it, and everything showed good. A little low at 8.0, maybe 7.9, but still within range. so I ordered another probe and this time, the more expensive one so it will stay in calibration.

So what else did I order? Well I also purchased a larger pump. I went from 950gph to 1200gph since I'm going to be building a new sump that will require a feed to the refugium. I also purchased Kalk+2 which will bring up my PH and feed my corals at the same time (I feel that I have mentioned this before... Oh well, I like typing. It's not like anyone actually reads this lmao. If you are reading this, put 66139 as the very first word in your reply hehe), I ordered a new aqua lifter pump that is a very SLOW pump for an ATO as well as the bracket to hold it. Then there are the two float switches, one for the sump to turn the controller and pump on, and the other to tell me when my fresh water res is empty. Then there is the 5 stage ro/di unit that is capable of putting out about 150 gallons per day. Then there is the booster pump to bump up the pressure.

Okay, so all of that is ordered and I received it earlier this week. I did a test install of the ro/di and the pump, and I have to say, it went a lot smoother than I thought it would. ran a line from my washer line into the pump, then from the pump into the ro, then from the ro to the di, and then into a container to hold the water.

I tested the TDS of my tap water, and it was surprisingly lower than I thought it would be at only about 250ppm. I was sure I would be up over 500. Once the ro is done with it, we are down to about 11ppm and after the di stage (which you can't drink) it's at 0ppm. PERFECT! Nice clean water for the fishies.

Now the issue. This system is supposed to run at about 75lbs of pressure, my house is putting out 25 (hence the pump), and when I fired that bad boy up, the pressure shot up to 96lbs. I was waiting for something to go boom, but to my surprise, it just kept doing what it was doing. so, I let it run for a bit. After an email to the company, they said to lower it down to about 80 and call it good, which I did.

I disconnected the di part of the system, giving out just ro water, and tonight, I had my first cup of coffee with it. Yup, much better than tap water! So this weekend I will be doing the final install of it so that not only my tank will have great water, but so will my family and my fridge! I'm tired of the little calcium deposits in the bottom of my whiskey glass when the ice melts! That will be no more.

We also ordered new salt that has higher than sea level amounts of different elements that the corals need to survive. This will pay for it's self since I no longer will have to dose liquid.

I have not installed the ATO, but I will this weekend.

so now will I get the water from the ro/di to the fridge or make it easy for the family so they can drink it? Yup, you guessed it. YET ANOTHER ORDER!!! In this latest order that I made yesterday, I ordered the drinking water kit with a 3.2 gallon pressurized tank as well as it's own faucet. I will be running a T off of it for the fridge. Once that is done, then it's NO MORE of those craptastic put on your faucet filters that suck big time. I also ordered 50" of black tubing just incase I need it.

But wait, there's more!!!

As I said above in this post, I can control everything, EXCEPT my lights. Well, I don't like that. I love the lights, I love the dimming and storms and cloud cover and moon lights, but I HATE that I can't see a readout of everything that went on that day. So guess what? Yup, there's more to the order. I ordered a VDM and a cable so that my apex can control the lights! It will be an all in one system when I'm done with this. Hell, if I wanted to do the plumbing, I could hook up the ro/di to the tank and skip the top off pump. But, I want to be able to dose Kalk+2 with the top off water since evaporation is pretty much at a set rate.

So as you can see, the work is never going to end with this thing. And I'm loving every minute of it. The wife loves it, the kids love it, and everyone that sees it, loves it! That makes it worth it.

But wait, there's more! hehe

If you have not seen my acrylic thread, I also purchased 3 sheets of 1/4" acrylic that I'm going to use to make my own sump. They dont' have one that is the design I want (close, but not quite), so I'm going to build my own. Again this is where the bigger pump comes into play since there is a chamber that will need to have water supplied to it.

So I tried to cut this stuff, and holy crap, it's VERY loud to cut. I'm talking louder than cutting metal! But, I tried it. First was with the steel blade on a brand new saw and it did okay. Then I go to put it on my table saw with a low tooth count blade, and it chips the living hell out of it. Okay, I need an 80+ tooth carbide blade, which I will be picking up this weekend. I will also be picking up a blade for my 7 1/4" saw as well just for this. I plan on having something built this weekend and you can bet I will post it here!

So there is the update of the tank so far. There is some sad news, I think I'm losing the smaller colt coral. We thought we were losing the larger one, and it came back then the smaller one started looking like crap. Not sure what is going on, but we are watching it closely. Everything else in the tank is doing GREAT though. Both of my SPS corals are loving the tank, as are the other softies.

I know I'm missing something, but I'm sure you are tired of reading. And I will know if you don't read all of this thread lmao. I will end it here since I'm that tired...

wolfman76

66139 lol sounding good but you know what would be even better some photos our a video....lol i have a 26 gallon bow front tank i will have as my first salty tank when i have the room for it.. Hey wolfman i would love to see a photo of those wolves of yours had a friend of mine offer to give me a full blooded grey timberwolf cub boot 13 years ago but sadly i had nowhere i would have been able to keep him so i had to tell her no i still cry about it to this day...lol

murankar

Staff member
66139, let's see this monster setup. Sounds like you got a super high quality tank setup. Video or pics please. Lol

Wolfman

66139 Tony You seriously have been bit by the saltwater bug! You need to live near the ocean and just scuba dive in the coral, it would be cheaper lol.
Wolfman76 The grey would be beautiful but not practical here now, they were hit with the exotic ban out here. I get by because mine aren't "grey".
DSC00445.jpgDSC00031.JPGDSC00488.jpg The white one is Shadow she is 10, the other one Is Weasel, he is my boy, he is 5. Apparently since I have had him HE doesn't think I am allowed out without HIM, don't leave him in either he can open the doors!

Randy

DSC00445.jpg

DSC00031.JPG

DSC00488.jpg

Tony

Staff member
66139 lol sounding good but you know what would be even better some photos our a video....lol i have a 26 gallon bow front tank i will have as my first salty tank when i have the room for it..

we want videos

You guys want pictures and video huh? I will see what I can do. I have posted pictures and video in this thread, but I will do an update with what I have done.

66139, let's see this monster setup. Sounds like you got a super high quality tank setup. Video or pics please. Lol

As stated, I will see if I can get some pictures and vids shot. Right now, the moon lights are on and the tank is pretty dim. It would just washout the picture and video with blue if I was to take video or pics at this time.

66139 Tony You seriously have been bit by the saltwater bug! You need to live near the ocean and just scuba dive in the coral, it would be cheaper lol.

Dude, your not lying there. These things are VERY EXPENSIVE, but dammit they are great to watch. And being able to do coding like I did when I built this forum and tinker with things just makes it even better. But you are right, I have the bug. It's addicting, that's for sure. last time I did things the cheap way, and it was GREAT. Things were growing like crazy. Now, I'm doing things the right way and hoping for even better results, but with more expensive corals. The more the corals, the more I can sell the frags for.

As for the double post, it could be the forum. Last time it was an Apache configuration that was out of wack causing it to happen. This time I know that's not the case since I'm on a much better server than I was. Might be upgrading servers again since I'm running out of space and bandwidth on this one.

And wow, you people actually read the thread lmao. Can't believe it. Must have been bored hahaha. You just gotta love it when I have a lappy in my hand and just ramble on.

Pics and videos to come later today, I hope lmao. I'm as busy as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest...

Top Bottom