Who's Into Saltwater?

Tony

Staff member
Alright guys, Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Since the lights are not on yet, only the moon lights are on, the tank is too dark and blue to get pictures. However, I can get you pictures of the Apex uit under the stand as well as the new Ro/Di unit I installed yesterday for the final time. Below are the pics with captions.

Lets first start off with the Apex system. I can't show all of the programming, but I can show the base units and the PB8 (Power Bar, 8 outlets). The first picture is of the display. As you can see, my tanks temp is right where it should be, but the PH is just a little low. It should be around 8.2 or so. This will change after I start mixing new saltwater with the new salt. the second picture is of the units under the stand. As you can see, the PB8 is full and I need to get another one. But at a bill fiddy a piece, I doubt that is going to happen lol. But you never know.

Aquarium RoDi Apex 007.JPG
Aquarium RoDi Apex 017.JPG

Now, we are going to move onto the Ro/Do, or Reverse Osmosis / Deionization. Lets just say that I have so much crap in my house that I had to make room in my laundry room for this system. It's the most ideal place since there is a water feed as well as a drain right there close. But in doing so, I would have to stack my washer and dryer. Thankfully, these units are made to stack, have locks in the back so the washer doesn't vibrate off the dryer and look decent as well.

Downside, the controls for the dryer are VERY high. This is an 8' celing to give you an example lol.

Aquarium RoDi Apex 009.JPG

Alright, so lets take a look at the ro/di unit it's self. I mounted the piece of wood to the wall for it to have something to hang on. Then I mounted the system. Going from left to right you have the pump, then you have the sediment filter, then you have a 1 micron carbon block, then a .6 micron carbon block, from there the water goes up into the bottom membrane for a final polish. Since there is a 4:1 waste to good water ratio, the waste goes from the first membrane into the second one, thus cutting down on the waste. From the TWO pure good water outlets of the membrane, it goes into the far right canister, the deionization stage.

As you can see, the sediment filter is not white, it's more of a rust color. Yup, this is the water that most people are drinking out of their tap. Makes you want to puke lmao. I have also attached a photo of the sediment filter a little closer up.

Aquarium RoDi Apex 011.JPG
Aquarium RoDi Apex 016.JPG

So how do I know everything is working? Well there are two ways. I have a gauge that is between the final carbon stage and the membrain, and if I see a pressure drop, I know my sediment filter is getting clogged. If it goes up, then the membrane is getting clogged.

Aquarium RoDi Apex 012.JPG

From there, we have to check if the water is clean enough to put into a fish tank. Anything less than 10PPM is safe, but 0 is ideal. As you can see in the first picture, the water coming out of the RO membrane is at 5PPM, which is REALLY good. This is the water that we are going to drink when my new faucet kit shows up on Tuesday. In the second picture, you see that it says 0PPM coming out of the deionization stage. There are two ways to check your DI stage, one is to watch the color of the media go from a blue to a brown as it gets depleted. The second is the TDS, or Total Dissolved solids will go up on the output of the stage. I have read that you do NOT want to drink this water since EVERYTHING but H2o has been removed.

Aquarium RoDi Apex 013.JPG
Aquarium RoDi Apex 014.JPG

Now that the water is nice and perfectly clean, it goes through a line with a one way and a pump shut off, then through a float valve and into my barrel for mixing. Ideally I would have another barrel, one for fresh water and one for salt, but I'm very limited on space, so this is how I have to do it. Not a big deal. But damn, this is some clean water right here!

Aquarium RoDi Apex 015.JPG

And finally, to end it off, Here is a shot of my sump that is fixing to go away, and the skimmer that is doing its job VERY well.

Aquarium RoDi Apex 018.JPG

So there you go. There are your pics and an explanation of how things work. I will be adding a kit that will allow us to drink the water from this filter as well as feed it into the fridge so that the ice is much more clear and tastes better. But, that is another post hehe. Hope you enjoyed it.

Aquarium RoDi Apex 007.JPG

Aquarium RoDi Apex 009.JPG

Aquarium RoDi Apex 011.JPG

Aquarium RoDi Apex 012.JPG

Aquarium RoDi Apex 013.JPG

Aquarium RoDi Apex 014.JPG

Aquarium RoDi Apex 015.JPG

Aquarium RoDi Apex 016.JPG

Aquarium RoDi Apex 017.JPG

Aquarium RoDi Apex 018.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Yeah well, that didn't work so well lmao. I don't know what is going on, but I can't sleep for crap anymore. 1.5 hours yesterday, 3 hours today. I have a feeling it's going to be a VERY long week. And I'm still up even after taking a sleeping pill. Insomnia sucks...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I here ya just be very glad you do not feel like I've been feeling the last few days. I may be going to the hospital soon if I do not improve! I'm sicker than I've been ever!

murankar

Staff member
good lord you got a makings of a lab going on. I hope all of this helps make a low maintenance tank for you. How much more you going to add to this?

Tony

Staff member
Sam, hope it's just allergies or something that is manifesting into something that seems major.

Matthias, you are right, it's almost like a lab lol. It's still frustrating when just getting started in the setup and coding. Holy crap, never in my life would I have thought I would be talking about writing code with my aquarium lmao.

As for how much more I'm going to be adding to it, I have no idea lmao. I know I will have my VDM, AI SOL cable and drinking water faucet and pressure tank. All of that so I can control my lights from the Apex, follow seasonal weather and lighting changes and keep the corals feeling like they are in the ocean still. Why all of this? Because I plan on making these corals and fish pay for this tank.

Corals are pretty easy to frag. Just get rock rubble or frag plugs and either let them attach to it or if they are a hard coral, glue them to it and let them encrust it. Fish on the other hand are a little harder, other than the cardinals. I will have to setup a reactor for phytoplankton, a tank for cyclopeez and a tank for Baby Brine Shrimp, all to feed the very small fry from the Clowns. If the chromis breed, I can use the same for them. The Cardinals however are fed from the parents, so they are easy. I didn't do anything in my last tank and had a lot of them survive. It was great.

So as you can see, it never stops lol. I just brought in another stand to setup a 55g/20g/10g/10g just for this purpose. The 55g will be my frag tank and lit by LED's that again, will be run by the Apex. The 20 will be where all new fish go when we buy them. If I'm not getting any new fish, it can be used for the fry and I will just install a foam air driven filter. The 10g's are going to be used for emergency quarantine tanks that I can just take 10g's out of my 90g and do an immediate quarantine. This will be helpful and we will not have to clean tanks before doing so. I have a LOT of acrylic, and the tank tops will be made out of it.

So as you can see, I will just roll on with where the tank takes me. I have just setup the ATO and I put a mixture of the Kalk+2 into the water in a 1 gallon jug just to gauge usage. I tested the PH of the new water, and it's off the charts. My ph test kit maxes out at 9, and it was way past that. I need to stick a probe in it and see what it's really at. And this was from only a tsp of Kalk+2 in that gallon. I'm more than likely going to up that since it didn't change my PH at all when it topped off my tank. Once I figure out how much water the tank is going to use, and how much Kalk+2 I need to add per gallon, I will setup a 5 gallon tank with this solution in it. Hell, I may build it into the sump that I'm going to build. You never know what's going to happen with me hehe.

There was one weird thing that happened this weekend though. And I just found out about it. A while back I told you guys that one of the Cardinals died, and I could not find it. I checked the ammonia levels and noting every changed. Well, today we found out why. the wife was looking at the tank, and she looked down to the Pink Seabee Anemone and it was spitting out bones from the Cardinal! I had never seen one of them do that and wish she would have taken pictures. I would have loved to share that with you. But, no pictures. So the mystery of the missing cardinal has been solved. No wonder the damn thing never eats lmao. Now it's spoiled.

Okay, I'm tired of typing lol. I'm so tired I can stay on track.

Tony

Staff member
Alright, before I went to bed I had washed out a 1 gallon bottle and put 1tsp of Kalk+2 in it. I went to bed and when I woke up, the bottle was empty. I'm guessing the tank is evaporating about 1.5 gallons a day. That is a little higher than I thought it would be. But the good news is my PH is starting to come up, and I'm sure if I check my calcium is right where it should be. Hopefully my corals and coralline algae will start growing as they should.

I have been doing some calculations and I think if I can incorporate a 5"x15"x16" tank within my sump, it would provide me with 5 gallons of water right there in the sump. The only issue is cleaning it since you will have to wash it out every time you fill it. For this reason, I'm more than likely going ot make a separate container of said size that I can take out of the stand and clean out. Still trying to work on all of the specs. I know that I have a TOTAL of 46" in the stand, and I'm only making the sump 40", so that gives me 6" of space to put a small tank. The reason I don't make the sump bigger is because the brackets that hold the door keeps me from putting in a sump that is the full length of the stand. But once the sump is in, I can push it to one side thus giving me room for a small tank. The issue is going to be height and if I can pull it back out of the stand when it's empty.

More planning is needed before I cut the pieces.

On a side note, I'm thinking about making a 5 gallon nano tank. Very simple. It will be 10"x10"x16" and the water line will be about an inch from the top. Okay, so that is just over 6 gallon, but once I add the custom filter to the back with it's own pump, I should be about 10 gallons. Hell, I may just do a 15 gallon. Guess we will just have to wait and see hehe.

wolfman76

hey tony thought i would post up this video up the setup let alone the tank size might just inspire your next tank adventure cool thing you will see later in the tank system involves vodka yes i said vodka just watch and you will see... lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfman

Wolfman76 that's one heck of a tank, there you go Tony That gives you something to shoot for.
Wolfman76 I put the pics up just after you asked about them.

Randy

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I have seen that video. And vodka dosing is actually quite common to fight PH swings. I have thought about it since I'm having a PH issue in my tank.

Today I woke up and even though I'm dosing Kalk+2, which is supposed to raise everything, including PH, it was still low, in the 7.7 range. so I started thinking about what could suck out the PH like that. And it hit me, Co2! Because we have had our house sealed up, the Co2 level in our house was a little high. So, I took the tops off the tank, opened the stand, and opened two windows and allowed the wind to blow inside from the outside and within an hour, I was up to 8.1. This was a very drastic change that happened way quicker than I thought it would have, but It confirms my suspicion.

with this information, I think I'm going to run some plumbing from the outside, to the tank. I'm going to use the skimmer to do this. I will run a PVC pipe with a filter on the out side to keep wasps and bees out of it, and hood it up to the air intake on my skimmer. The skimmer creates thousands if not millions of little bubbles that have a very long contact with the water, thus raising the o2 in the tank, and reducing the Co2. I just have to figure out how I'm going to do it.

And I find that guy in the video annoying, but not as annoying as some others in this hobby lol.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, sleep is getting hard to come by. Ah well, just more time to play with the coding on the aquarium since I dont' need to do anymore coding on the forum lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Come on guys, unless a wolf lives in the ocean, lets keep it out of this thread. Feel free to make your own thread if you want to talk about land animals lol.

Wow, have there been some updates to the tank in the last couple days. Yesterday, I came hope and had a box waiting on me. This was my VDM and my cable to control the lights, and the pressure tank and faucet so I can get drinking water out of my ro/di unit.

First thing I do after opening it, is I plan out what I will need. Thankfully, I actually ordered everything I needed. As I was making coffee, I told the wife that she had better get things out from under the sink (I'm not a happy person when I wake up lol) or I will throw everything in the trash. Guess what, I had a pristine section to se the pressure tank lmao.

Now let me back up a bit here. Over the weekend when I couldn't sleep, I ended up purchasing one of those sink faucets that get rid of that little handheld sprayer and incorporate it into a pull out handle that is the faucet it's self. So, this left a hole where the old sprayer went. I had already planned to put the new faucet for the ro water in that hole hence buying the new faucet. Now let me tell you, if you work on cars, or even rc for that matter, and you have grease all over your hands, it's MUCH easier to turn on this faucet than it is the ones with two knobs! Just raise the handle and you are good to go! It's great and wish I had one a LONG time ago.

Okay, back on point!

I get the little ro faucet ready and I install it after placing the pressure tank. Very easy install! Then, I measure and cut the hose to go from the faucet to the tank. DONE! I install the top of the tank, then a T, plug the faucet into the T, run more line over to the wall, put in another T for the fridge and ice maker, DONE! Now it's time to tak eout some frustration!

I didn't have any drill bits that were long enough to punch through my wall into my laundry room, but I did have one BIG ASS SCREWDRIVER!!! Oh yeah, I grabbed that thing and my hammer, hit it, through the first piece. Hit it again, through the second piece. Pulled it out, and the new line went right through it. Hooked that into the T for the fridge, ran the line over to the ro, put in two one way valves (one to keep pressure on the shut off switch for the booster pump to keep it off and one to keep from backwashing the DI water into the RO system) and a T, plugged it into the T and boom, we had water.

Then I noticed that the pressure was really low. Well crap, what good is a 3.2 gallon tank if it is not any faster than the ro system? Then it hit me, I forgot to open the shutoff valve on the tank :facepalm: lmao. Opened it, water flowed in, and wow, great volume of water coming out that will not leave water spots and calcium all over my coffee pot. HELL YEAH! Should have done this sooner.

Great, the water is installed, the wife is happy, I'm happy, now it's time to mess with the lights. So I mount the VDM to the stand, run the aquabus cable from the VDM to the Apex unit, orange light... Flashing orange light... GREEN LIGHT! It installed about as fast as you read that. I was impressed. So I go to my computer and look under my modules, and BOOM, there is is just waiting for me to hook it up. I select the 3 color option (I have white, blue and royal blue) plug in the lights, and holy crap, they work. But, it's only either on or off, and it's 100% intensity. Remember, I was running about 65% on my lights before, so this would have pissed off everything in my tank. Ugh, screw it, I just woke up and I have to go to work in a bit, so I plug in the other controller and head to work.

While sitting here (yes, I'm at work right now lol) I was thinking about what I wanted the code to be on the lights. I knew I wanted them to ramp up and down over the course of an hour to a 65% intensity rating, I wanted simulated cloud cover, and just to show off, I wanted my thunder storm! I also wanted the moon light that followed the moons cycle as well as intensity, but I also wanted to be able to turn things on at a low intensity as well as a moderate intensity not only for testing, but also so I can keep them on when we have people over to the house. Well, after searching I found the code that I wanted. The issue was, there is a LOT of code to put in and it was going to take time.

CALLING CROWN ROYAL, CALLING CROWN ROYAL, YOU ARE NEEDED IN MY GLASS!!!!!!

Grabbed my 3 fingers worth of crown, I layed in bed and we started coding this puppy out. More code done, more crown drank, screen is getting harder to read, head is getting heavy lmao. But dammit, I got everything done but one socket, and that is the physical socket that the lights plug into and I didn't want to mess with that until I could test it while being there. Yes, I was in another room of the house coding my aquarium. How great is that haha.

So, first thing is first, I have to rename, assign and create all of the profiles. Below is what I had to put in. Each one is it's own profile.

[ BL_Rise ]
Ramp Time: 60
Start Intensity: 0
End Intensity: 100

[ WH_Rise ]

[ RB_Rise ]

[ BL_Set ]
Start Intensity: 100
End Intensity: 0

[ WH_Set ]

[ RB_Set ]

[ BL_Day ]
Ramp Time: 1

[ WH_Day ]

[ RB_Day ]

[ Stormy ]
Light Maximum Intensity: 30
Cloudy Light Intensity: 8
Cloud Duration: 12
Cloudy Time: 50
Probability of Lightning: 45
Lightning Intensity: 100

[ Cloudy ]
Light Maximum Intensity: 20
Cloudy Light Intensity: 5
Cloud Duration: 5
Cloudy Time: 75
Probability of Lightning: 0
Lightning Intensity: 0

[ MoonRise ]
End Intensity: 3

[ MoonFull ]
Start Intensity: 3
End Intensity: 3

[ MoonSet ]
Start Intensity: 3

[ Steady20 ]
Start Intensity: 20
End Intensity: 20

[ Steady70 ]
Start Intensity: 70
End Intensity: 70

Yeah, that took a while. By the way, "WT" is white lights, BL is Blue Lights and RB is Royal Blue Lights. Great, that's done, time to create the virtual outlets. Now to explain what a virtual outlet is, you pretty much add another outlet to the system, but it's not physical. It just adds a switch to your dashboard that you can turn on and off. This is helpful for things like the break out box (BoB) that I just installed to control it manually. Then there are the things you see below that are created that is much more complicated than just flipping a switch, although when you are done, that is exactly what they are. So here are the Virtual outlets that I had to create, there are 16 of them!

[ BL-Dawn ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Sun 000/-360 Then ON
If Outlet BL-Day = ON Then OFF

[ WH-Dawn ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Sun 000/-360 Then ON
If Outlet WH-Day = ON Then OFF

[ RB-Dawn ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Sun 000/-360 Then ON
If Outlet RB-Day = ON Then OFF

[ BL-Day ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Sun 060/-060 Then ON

[ WH-Day ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Sun 060/-060 Then ON

[ RB-Day ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Sun 060/-060 Then ON

[ BL-Dusk ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Sun 360/000 Then ON
If Outlet BL-Day = ON Then OFF

[ WH-Dusk ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Sun 360/000 Then ON
If Outlet WH-Day = ON Then OFF

[ RB-Dusk ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Sun 360/000 Then ON
If Outlet RB-Day = ON Then OFF

[ MoonWax ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Moon 000/-360 Then ON
If Outlet MoonUp = ON Then OFF

[ MoonUp ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Moon 060/-060 Then ON

[ MoonWane ] ( Virtual Outlet )
If Moon 360/000 Then ON
If Outlet MoonUp = ON Then OFF

[ Storms ] ( Virtual Outlet )
OSC 000:00/037:00/636:00 Then ON
If Time 19:30 to 13:59 Then OFF
Min Time 037:00 Then ON
If DoW S-T-T-S Then OFF

[ Clouds ] ( Virtual Outlet )
OSC 000:00/037:00/636:00 Then ON
If Time 19:30 to 13:59 Then OFF
Min Time 037:00 Then ON
If DoW -M-W-F- Then OFF

[ Sol-On-20 ] ( Virtual Outlet )
Set OFF

[ Sol-On-70 ] ( Virtual Outlet )
Set OFF

Oh yeah, that one took even more time than creating the profiles. And by this time, Mr. Royal was a part of me and the gravity in the room had more than doubled!

The only thing I had left to do was to edit the physical outlets with the correct code. When I installed the VDM, it created the 3outlets for the 3 colors of lights, and we need to tell each color what to do and when to do it. Not that hard, but a BITCH to figure out when you have never done it before. Below is the code for the 3 colors

[ AI_Blue ] ( VDM Outlet )
Set OFF
If Outlet BL-Dawn = ON Then BL_Rise
If Outlet BL-Day = ON Then BL_Day
If Outlet BL-Dusk = ON Then BL_Set
If Outlet Clouds = ON Then Cloudy
If Outlet Storms = ON Then Stormy
If Outlet Sol-On-20 = ON Then Steady20
If Outlet Sol-On-70 = ON Then Steady70

[ AI_White ] ( VDM Outlet )
Set OFF
If Outlet WH-Dawn = ON Then WH_Rise
If Outlet WH-Day = ON Then WH_Day
If Outlet WH-Dusk = ON Then WH_Set

[ AI_Royal ] ( VDM Outlet )
Set OFF
If Outlet MoonWax = ON Then MoonRise
If Outlet MoonUp = ON Then MoonFull
If Outlet MoonWane = ON Then MoonSet
If Outlet RB-Dawn = ON Then RB_Rise
If Outlet RB-Day = ON Then RB_Day
If Outlet RB-Dusk = ON Then RB_Set

As you can see, it has each color, then you see a "Set OFF". This keeps the outlet off unless you tell it to turn on. And you do this with the code below it. MoonWax is moonrise, MoonUp is just that, and MoonWane is moonset. I'm sure you can figure the other ones out.

so by this time, I'm starting to hear my pillow talking to me and he sounds a LOT like Tommy Chong! So, I kill the computer and I'm OUT! Well, there is a side effect of drinking. I never knew it, but damnit if it's not true. Yes, alcohol will help you go to sleep, but you will not stay asleep. Sure enough, 5 hours after falling asleep, I'm wide awake! Dammit, another one of these nights! Screw it, i'm up, lets start playing with some lights.

So, I head into the kitchen, make a pot of coffee (still love my faucet lmao), suck down a cup and it's time to edit the last profile, the outlet that powers the lights with electricity.

[ AI_Sol_Power ] ( EB Outlet )
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet AI_Blue = ON Then ON
If Outlet AI_White = ON Then ON
If Outlet AI_Royal = ON Then ON
Defer 000:05 Then ON
Defer 000:05 Then OFF

I'm sure you understand all of that except the defer statement. The defer off will wait 5 seconds to turn on the outlet. I don't know why and I'm going to delete this. It pretty much overrides the fallback and set statements. Then there is the defer off, which overrides the other on statements on the AI lights. Again, I'm going to delete this.

In all honesty, I think that code is a bunch of crap because when the lights are at 0%, it's drawing I think, 2 watts of power waiting on it's next command. I can handle that. So, I may delete ALL of that code and just put in "Set ON" to keep the outlet on at all times, and maybe the line of code "If Temp > 84 Then OFF" just to shut the lights off if the tank over heats. But, these are LED's and they don't put out that much heat at all.

One thing that did bug me was when the lights kicked on, my PH probe went wacky. The tank shot from 7.9 to 8.4 and my phone started blowing up with emails from my controller telling me the PH was way too high. I started freaking out because there is a lot of stuff that will die with a PH swing that drastic. But, it was hanging out right at 8.3 where I want it, but I could not figure out why it was doing it. The house was still sealed up, so it wasn't extra oxygen in the air. Ah well, I pulled my Kalk solution and put in standard water and just left it.

Then the lights went out and the PH went down to 7.9 again. WTF... So I click on the switch for the 70% code that you see above, 5 seconds later, the power strip comes on and my lights brighten up. Right then, the PH starts to raise very rapidly. Okay, now we are getting somewhere. All I have to do is separate the power cords from the PH cords and we will be golden.

The sunset worked flawlessly and right on time from the season table, and when I get home, I will be able to see if the moonlights are working (they don't come up today until after 0200, yes, it's running on the ACTUAL cycle of the sun and moon, how great is that lmao).

Well, while the wife was out, I needed her to pick up a new KH test kit as well as a calcium test kit. Funny, I purchased a filter to get all fo the calcium out of the water, just to add more back to it hahaha. Well, while she was there, she started talking about this pipe organ coral that just wasn't selling. So they took 75% off of the price and she purchased it. This coral is a VERY slow grower, looks like the Zoo's you see in the other pictures, but it has a skeleton like a hard coral that it makes as it spreads. So hopefully this one will start growing and we can get a little return on it.

so there you go, you are caught up on what the tank is doing and what I have done. There were some edits in the code above with the intensities, but it's pretty much the way I found it and it's working great. I love that if the sun is coming up outside, it's coming up in my tank and vice versa. I also love the extra control that I have with the lights now. Well worth the money IMO. So now, I have damn near my whole tank automated. Now I just need to setup an auto feeder and we will be good to go! lmao.

Here is a shot of all of the different switches that I have on my controller. I also have them on my phone as well! How great is technology now days?

Apex SS.jpg

Apex SS.jpg

Tony

Staff member
What would you like to see in the video Matthias?

Okay, here is an update on the tank. First off, I think we are about to lose another Cardnial and we have NO idea why they are dying. Everything else in the tank is thriving. The Cardinals just stop eating for some stupid reason. We may give it a shot with 3 more, but if they die, then that's it.

Now onto what is going on with the controller. For the most part, ti's working great. However, when I have the lights plugged into the controller, my PH will shoot up and I have no idea why. I have tried everything to figure it out and there is no answer. I have even baffled the people at Neptune with this issue. Also, my first PH probe is still going out of calibration and again, I'm talking to Neptune about it. So that should be solved here soon I hope. For now though I put the old controller back on the LED lights and it's working great.

So back a while ago I told you guys that I was going to build a sump for my tank. I then went out and purchased 3 sheets of 1/4" acrylic, a big can of weld-on #3 as well as a tube of weld-on #16 and some saw blades. Well, things just didn't want to work out for me. I REALLY needed a router to finish the edges of the acrylic for gluing, but my router table is just to small. I tried some test pieces and they turned out looking like crap. Okay, I figured I would just put them in the table saw that I have. Yeah, there is a LOT of modification to do that. So I did the only other thing I could think of, I asked the wife if I could get a new table saw lmao.

The one that I found was from Home Depot. It's a 10" table saw and it has this nice big void on the right side. This void is made for options like a router table and such. Well, I talked to her telling her the reasons why I thought it would be a good idea, and she agreed. So today (yesterday lol) we went to Home Depot to look. Just for giggles, we went by Lowes and looked at their table saws and routers (I needed a new one because the runout on the one I have is HORRIBLE and it won't cut straight). They were over a bill higher on the saw and $20 higher on the routers. So, off to Home Depot.

We finally found the table saws tucked back in an isle where you couldn't hardly see them. The one that I wanted was right on the bottom so I pulled it out. Then I saw that the whole right side of the box was torn all to crap. So I told the guy I wanted the one in the box on the shelf. He told me that there was one on the floor that was easier to get. I told him either he gets a forklift and gets me the one I want, or I inform his manager that he just lost a huge sale. Guess what, he got the forklift lmao. He was not happy about it either hahaha.

This damn thing is HEAVY!!! Holy crap. Solid cast iron table, quad casters, solid steel stand, the works. When we got home, we started putting it together and it went together really easy. The thing that is different from this one an my Craftsman, is my Craftsman is a direct drive, and this one is a belt drive. I was a little worried about this and is the reason I got the craftsman in the first place. Well, once all together, I told the wife, "flip the switch!". She did and I have to say, this is the quietest table saw EVAR! I was very surprised. We shut it off and the spool down is quite quick with the brake in the motor. Another thing I like is there is a place on the side for the extra blades and tools and it will not fall off since it's held on with a hand nut.

As we started playing with it in cutting some acrylic, I saw this piece of plywood laying there and thought "this will work great for a router table". And guess what, an hour later, I have a router built into my table saw. This is just PERFECT! Now my cuts are straight and the router (new, purchased it with the saw) makes the edges almost ready to polish. So what do we decide, we decide to make an aquarium.

I had some scrap laying around and wanted to play around with cutting precise cuts, so we decided to do this the easy way and make a 12"x12"x12" aquarium. After wasting a LOT of scrap, we finally had something that looked like a cube. Many mistakes, but that's the way it goes when you are playing with this stuff for the first time. So after we did that, I looked at her and said "it's time to build the real sump". And so it began. I will tell you, practicing on the 12" cube paid off. We cut everything perfect the first time and glued the sides to the base with very little air bubbles in it. I have no idea how to get all of them out, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

So we are done with the sump for what we can to tonight until the pieces dry, then we can glue the sides together, so I decide to see if I can make a finger over flow. This is something that you see on most reef tank. So with my router, I setup a 1/4" straight bit and I put a stop on it to make the fingers 1" deep. I'm using the fence to do this, and with the 1/4" bit, I have to move the fence 1/2" at a time for a 1/4" slot, 1/4" finger. I will tell you, it turned out GREAT. I was very surprised at now easy it was and the great results.

With this knowledge, we decided to put an internal over flow in the cube tank. So, with some of the scrap that I had, we cut it down to size, and I put some fingers in it. There is a piece of scrap in the back that I'm not sure will stay. I think I need something bigger for a bigger pump. But I think this tank will actually become a tank and not just something that we look at. We might actually put some fish in it.

So after all of that, the sump is started, we have a new nano aquarium and my back is killing me lmao. In the pictures below, you will see my old Craftsman saw, my New saw that I LOVE, you can also see the router on the right side of it, the mess acrylic makes lol, the new 40" sump, and the little nano tank. There is also a picture of a fingered over flow that I bent just to see if I could. Sure enough hehe. This gives me a LOT of ideas.

Enjoy the pictures. Oh yeah, I finally got my door switches to turn my LED strip on once I get them from China (ugh). And I received my EB8 power bar so I can add more crap to this tank and control it hahaha. It never ends!

20130406_043815.jpg20130406_043827.jpg20130406_043835.jpg20130406_043843.jpg20130406_043853.jpg20130406_043906.jpg

20130406_043815.jpg

20130406_043827.jpg

20130406_043835.jpg

20130406_043843.jpg

20130406_043853.jpg

20130406_043906.jpg

wolfman76

hey tony is the controller in this video the one that you got????

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Matt, I plan on making some tanks and more sumps, so if you want a custom one, let me know and I will start planning it out. Like with everything else, there is a HUGE learning curve with putting thins stuff together and making sure everything is the PERFECT size to match up right. I would call my joints 85% at this time, but they are getting better. The joints on the 1' Cube tank (which holds water BTW) look like CRAP. The joints on the sump are much better, but there are still some issues with it. I'm going to have to brace one of the corners because something happened and there is a huge weak spot in it. But, the more I do, the more I will learn and the better it will get. So you just let me know if you want something and I will see what it takes to make it.

Kyle, I have seen that video, and if I remember correctly (no time to watch it now), that is the Apex Lite, I have the Apex which has more bells and whistles on it. But yes, that is pretty much what I have.

Tony

Staff member
Alright guys, here is an updated shot of the sump. Since there is a LOT of clear, you can't really see much, but you can see enough I think lmao. I had to pull my skimmer out of the aquarium sump just to see if it was going to fit where we were wanting it to go. And let me tell you, it just BARELY fits. I actually have to take the pump off of it to get it out, but I only have to take it out once a month so that's not too bad.

I am going to put two filter socks in it, and cutting the holes for those was the biggest challenge on the whole build. I tried hole saws, but they just make the hole way too jagged. I cleaned up those holes and put a backing plate under it to support the socks so they can recess in, but that just looked like crap with all of the surface you have to glue together. Finally I got the idea to put a smaller bearing on my flush cut router bit, and BOOM, it was perfect. I did have to make a wooden template to guide the router, but man it was worth it. Took me over 3 hours just to make this one little stupid piece.

I have more done than is in the pictures, but I had to sit down for a while so I came inside. Hell when I took these pictures, I thought I was done for the night lmao. NOT!!! There is always something else to do.

20130407_014301_resized.jpg20130407_014311_resized.jpg20130407_014323_resized.jpg20130407_014336_resized.jpg

20130407_014301_resized.jpg

20130407_014311_resized.jpg

20130407_014323_resized.jpg

20130407_014336_resized.jpg

wolfman76

WOW!!!!!!! Looks pretty good to me Tony... And it is amazing what you can do with that controller when i stay a reef tank i will definitely have to get one

Top Bottom