Who's Into Saltwater?

Tony

Staff member
Patience is KEY in this hobby, something that I don't have a lot of unfortunately lmao. But, I'm making it work. And it wil get to looking better.

Here is yet another update on this since a LOT is going on right now with the tank (and my bank account... UGH lol).

Right as I was going to sleep this morning I heard the UPS truck pull into my driveway. Out came this very short little guy from the big ass truck carrying two large boxes at the same time. It was quite funny and I may post the surveillance video of him coming up to the door lmao. But he brought us our tank controller, SOL Blue LED Lights and my skimmer. And WOW, what a skimmer!

Lets start with teh skimmer.

I pulled it out of the box and opened the next box that had the skimmer inside. This thing is about twice the size of my last one. It's HUGE. Reading the box, this skimmer is good for tanks from 140 gallons up to 208 gallons. I guess 209 gallons is just too big for it hahaha. I have no idea why they say 208, but they do. Either way, my tank is only a total of 100 gallons give or take a couple gallons, so this should work very nicely.

I had to move a LOT of things around in my sump just to get this monster to fit in there, but I got it in there. The water level in my sump is actually too high for it, but I thought I would just let it run and let it break in before I did the final setup on it. So I plugged it in and the bubbles started flowing. Less than 10 minutes later, it was producing foam and pulling the crap out of the tank like it should. After only 30 minutes, I had some great nasty brown/green crap in the cup. This is pulling stuff out of it that my last one took a day to pull. I'm loving this skimmer and for the price, you just can't beat it.

Then, I decided to test out the lights that we ordered. The AI SOL Blue's in a black housing. These things are great. Cooling fans built in, great reflectors and very small. Since I didn't order a mounting kit, I just sat them on top of my tank glass tops and plugged them in then shut off my old LED's. Let me tell you, the color change is amazing from one to another. These things make everything look great! adn best of all, I now have a second blue color that I can play with. The colors in the unit are blue, royal blue and white. The white is pretty yellow at 6000K (that's Kelvin, not K as in thousand). The total color temperature of the lights is somewhere around 20,000K with everything on. Some like the blue, some don't and get the SOL Whites that are more around the 12,000K-14,000K. I like the 20,000K myself, and I can always reduce the blue to get down to 14,000k if I wanted to.

Then I started playing around with the different settings. The lightning function is pretty cool as is the cloud cover. All of which happen on a real reef. I love that the lights will ramp up and down with the timer just like sun rise and sun set. There is a LOT more setup to do on the lights, but they are working.

Right after I put them on the tank and I held them up where I was going to mount them, the wife told me that we needed to order two more bricks and the mounting kit. OMG, this is going to kill us lmao. But, it will make the tank look great. So, I will be making another order for two more lights tonight.

I didn't get a chance before coming to work to test out the Apex Controller, but I"m sure it will work just fine. Can't wait to get it on there so that I can clean up under the tank a LOT and have complete control of everything. I will even be able to control the tank from right here at the base if I wanted to. Yes, it connects to the internet on a private network. I can even run a web cam if I wanted to lmao. But I will be setting this up this weekend. After I swap my 20's on my truck for a factory set of 16's that a guy is trading me.

The wife also purchased some Neon Green Mushrooms the other day, adn today she comes home with a HUGE rock with Green Striped Mushrooms, Red Mushrooms, and maybe some purple mushrooms on it. AND she came home with a Green Bubble Tip Anemone.

So the tank is coming together nicely. I just hope like hell my electric bill doesn't go through the roof. But, it's about 1/4 of what it would be with other lighting options such as T5's or Metal Halide's. And the LED's put out a LOT more light. My SPS corals are LOVING the new light as well. As soon as I turned them on, they opened up. It was great.

I will try to get more pictures this weekend with the lights on and everything open. As well as my sump before and after if I can remember.

BOKI

Tony ; That looks really nice & the fish are really pretty & you have a nice setup! Thanks for the pictures! Dave

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Dave. IT's a lot of work and even more money, but the family loves it and that is what matters. And anyone that comes over, I have to pull them away from the tank just to talk to them, or kick their ass at Wii bowling hahaha.

I have been doing some more researching. When we purchased the Acropora coral, it came with a very small little crab living in it's branches. Well, it seems that I"m going to need to get the little bugger out of the coral to see what kind of crab he is. There are literally THOUSANDS of crabs out there, and MOST of them will actually eat the coral. Not something I want to happen with an $80 coral. So I'm going to setup a small tank and see if I can force him out. If that won't work, then I will have to get some medication and just kill it to play it safe. He is a cute little guy though from what I can see of him.

But, there is a rare chance that he is one of the good crabs that does nothing but eat the algae and ditritus off of the coral and actually helps it. I'm really hoping that I can get him out of the coral so I can see him so I can verify. But if I see that he is a bad crab, he is going to DIE!!! hehe.

wolfman76

I just get a mental picture of Tony reaching into the tank and trying to pull this Lil crab off the coral its little claw holding to the coral tightly a little word bubble of the crab saying "come Tony i just got here don't do it Tony NOOOOO!!!!!! I have so much to live for i promise i will be good i am a good crab..... No i don't know what happened to that coral it was like that when i got here....." Lol

Tony

Staff member
lmao, as funny as that is, there is no way my fat fingers can fit inside that coral. The picture may make it look big, but it's actually quite small. Those little tentacles that are coming out, the hole they are in is about 1mm in diameter.

On a side note, when I came hope my bubble tip anemone had moved and went right up against my green star coral. Not a good thing, but the green start multiply rapidly so no harm there. I will just have to move the stars. No, I can't move the anemone, just fyi. When you get an anemone, you just accept the fact that it's going to go wherever in the hell it wants to go lmao.

And the snails knocked off my monti again. I'm going to have to epoxy this thing down after I move the rock around.

murankar

Staff member
Having issues in the tank, I had a brief image of sponge bob square pants. Good luck cant wait to see the pics.

Tony

Staff member
Well I'm sad to say, I have no pictures of the change over. But the LED lights and the new controller are now on the tank. And let me tell you, turning off the pumps and lights while laying in bed with my iPhone is just awesome lmao. No more searching for the right wire to unplug anymore, just fire up the app and click a button, DONE! The new lights, they are SOOOOOO much better than that retro fit kit that I purchased. Wish I never did that now. Might sell them to someone that is looking for a low power, high light kit for a softy tank or a FOWLR tank. Would work prefect for those. But, I will try to get some pictures tomorrow of everything and the way it's setup. The lights are off right now so nothing to show in the tank.

BOKI

Sounds like your tank looks pretty nice & salt water fish are really nice & bet you can watch it for hours & enjoy it! Dave

Tony

Staff member
I think it's pretty nice. With all of the new coral that is in it, the new fish and the lights and controller, it's a whole new tank now. As for watching it for hours, yes I can. but life won't let me lmao

Tony

Staff member
Forgot all about this. I took a screen shot of the controller interface on my computer. It's pretty slick once you figure out how to program everything with code.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

callsign4223

Staff member
Dude, that is wicked sweet. Almost enough to make me want to convert mine to saltwater. That is until I go back up and remember how much you put into this sucker. My freshwater is kinder to my wallet.

Tony

Staff member
Matt, you are right, I do have quite a bit tied up into this tank. but IMO every penny is worth it when I can see that my family really likes looking at it.

I just finished tonight setting it up to email me if there is any issues. This could be anything from the tank too hot or too cold, the PH out of range, if I had the floor sensor, it would tell me if there was water on the floor, if I had a res to put the skimmate in from the skimmer, it could tell me that my res is full and so on. This controller will do EVERYTHING that I want it to do. And it's very VERY similar to Linux code. Meaning the commands are simple. I guess it could be more like PHP in it's simplicity. One of the lines of code that I'm running on my power heads is "IF Time 08:00 to 20:00 Then ON" and just above that line of code is the line of code to always be turned off. I'm telling you, after only one day of programming, it's VERY simple and you can make it do anything.

I did take a few pictures today, but I will have to get them off my Note II and upload them here. I am just too damn tired to do it right now. 4 hours of sleep in two days is just not going to cut it lmao. It's been a LONG time since I was this tired.

Tony

Staff member
Alright, here you go. These are the pictures that I took with my new Note II. And under blue lighting. Well most of them anyway.

20130316_194040.jpg20130316_202827.jpg20130316_202906.jpg20130316_202941.jpg20130316_193943.jpg20130316_193859.jpg

20130316_202941.jpg

20130316_202906.jpg

20130316_202827.jpg

20130316_194040.jpg

20130316_193943.jpg

20130316_193859.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I told you guys that I would get a video of the tank. and here it is. The wife, at the end of the video, is trying to set her background on her new Galaxy S III and said that "it's as good as it's going to get" meaning the cropping of the picture was as good as she was going ot get it. She was showing too much of the sand, and not enough of the rock or fish. So, that part of it had nothing to do with the video. But in here, you can see just about everything that is in the tank. And again, this was shot with my Note II. I have to say, the video quality of this thing, and using that stylus to do things on it, is much better than fat fingering everything. Although typing with the stylus is a pain.

Anyway, here is the video. You can clearly see the shimmer off of the new LED's even though not even this camera can do it justice on how good thing tank looks. If you have questions, just ask.

Our New Saltwater Mixed Reef Aquarium - YouTube

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
URI, just go out and get one. It's not that hard to take care of one. Get yourself one of the little JBJ 24 gallon nano with the LED lights, then all you have to do is add the rock and small corals and you are set. You will have to clean the glass every couple of days, and clean the filters every week, but other than that, you put critters in there to do the cleaning of the rock and such. The LED version does great with a lot of the corals (not the SPS or LPS though, I don't think) and anemone's. The color of the tank is amazing as well. The filters of the JBJ is built into the back of the tank, so there is nothing hanging on the back or under the tank. It's the way to go if you are wanting something small and easy to take care of. Just make sure to do the water changes every week on a tank that small. I tend to slack on that part of it with my tank lol. Need to stop. But doing 10 gallons every week gets pretty expensive. On yours, you will do a gallon a week, very easy. And as always, I can help you out every step of the way. That's what I'm here for.

And Matt, the coral is looking great. Give it a few months for everything to settle down, and things will start spreading and really looking good. Right now things are pretty stressed out with the new lights and cleaner water (yes, that stresses them out lol) so things are not open like they should be. I ended up having to turn the lights down to 50% intensity just to get the mushrooms to open on the left side. In that video, they were closed up trying to block the light. I may have to go down to about 45% or lower for a bit. Man, that is REALLY going ot piss off my SPS lmao.

As for coming by, you know where I am most every weekend. You are more than welcome at my house and you know that. Right now with us getting all new furnature for our bedroom, the old stuff is in the living room and it's even worse than it was when you were there last lmao. It's HORRIBLE lmao. And when you come over, bring your DX8 and your 130x, I want to fly it!!!

murankar

Staff member
So tempting, I wish I could. I still need the rest of my electrics for the baby blender. Man bad timing on my part.

- - - Updated - - -

So tempting, I wish I could. I still need the rest of my electrics for the baby blender. Man bad timing on my part.

Tony

Staff member
Having an issue now with the PH of the tank. I'm thinking it's the probe that is going out of calibration, but I'm not sure. More testing is needed.

Top Bottom