Micro Which Heli?

GregC

Hi everyone, Just found this site today. Amazing!
I have been stuck to the PC for about 20 hours over the last month wanting to jump to the next level for me in heli's.
Flew planes years ago and just got bored. Bought a Syma toy for the kids a couple months ago and took it to its max in 2 hours. Bought a WL toys v911 (not for the kids) and have flown the paint off of is for the last month. Funny, but hardly anyone knows that this toy has a idle up mode. Pretty quick for a toy. Well! I am now ready to get into CP (i hope) (maybe) (prepared for a curve).
I do not want to spend $100 - $200 on another substandard toy only to still be in upgrade mode. I have been looking at Blade MCPX v2 with a DXi7 TX. Well the TX is a no brainer, on the other hand the bird is an all together different matter. I only have 200 or so models to choose from. I hear that the new MCPX will be brushless at the end of the month at $249. But the Blade 130X is already brushless and a little bigger at the same price. I do want a 3 axis gyro system. But, but, but. Too many choices. I mostly chose the tiny machines because they cost virtually nothing to fix, and I really really liked crashing at first. Some say to train on nothing smaller than a 400. Really? I seem to manage my tiny FP heli in idle up just fine, but it has absolutely no 3D potential whatsoever. I was not planning on anything as large as a 400 for quite some time, if ever. So here is the deal. DXi7, not a problem. I understand I need to make this investment. I held one and it is seemingly better built and have a few more options than the DXi6.
I would like to have a heli that is "reasonably" stable and responsive and not too big to repair reasonably. You Tubers are very positive about both of these (except for a few typical problems). I want to keep the Heli bill under $250. I have looked at Walkera's CP RTF's at around $150. They look good at first, but blade seems to be a quality name brand product... So what to do?
BTW we are going to the Perry Georgia Swap Meet January 2nd. (1000 Table Vendors) I will leave with a bird! (maybe). One thing is for sure, I do not want to spend my hard cash for junk.
Thank you kindly for your responses.
If there is already really good advice already posted, then point me in that direction please.

heli-maniac

the 130x is a nice bird but not for some one that has not flown a cp heli it takes a lot to set it up
the blade nano is nice but has motor problems not lasting long
the best bang for the buck would be the new mcpx that is brushless
and with a blade heli parts are easy to come by

xokia

Mcpx for a beginner. It's slower and pretty easy to control IMO. 130x is a sweet helicopter but significantly faster and more capable then the mcpx. I'd learn on one of these before jumping to a bigger bird you wallet will thank you.

callsign4223

Staff member
Ok, you got a few things going on here with your choices and what people have suggested. I will try to break it down for you a little bit.

1. People have suggested the 450 size birds because of stability. The 450 size makes a good bird to start on because parts are still relatively cheap but the heli is a lot more stable than a smaller bird. I just crashed mine and tore it up pretty badly and my repair bill is going to run about $50.

2. The benefit to starting with the MCPx is that the heli is so light that you can crash it, pick it up and push the main gear all the way back on, and keep on flying. The problem with it is that it's so small that it's very twitchy. This is the heli I started to learn on. Another benefit to the MCPx is that you can practice hovering indoors in your living room. It is small enough that as long as you are halfway decent at flying hovering it inside isn't a problem. This helps you get your heli fix on those cold and or windy days.

3. You shouldn't worry about brushless if you are just starting on CP helis. Brushless just gives you more power for 3d, and the stock motor on the MCPx has plenty of power to do light 3d such as flips and inverted flying. Once you get to the point of doing heavy 3d you will probably want to move to a larger heli with a variable pitch tail. The MCPx has a separate tail motor with a fixed pitch blade. Larger helis, such as the 130x and above, have a variable pitch tail controlled by a servo and run by the main motor either via a belt system or a torque tube system.

4. The 130x is also a good heli to start with, very crash resistant but not as tough as the MCPx. If you feel that you have a pretty good handle on basic heli control and can manuever your fixed pitch heli pretty good the 130x might be a good choice for you. You will never outgrow it. You might buy larger helis later, but you will always fly the 130x as well.

GregC

Thanks for the quick reply's. Yea, I've seen some of the youtube vids on the 130x 3D capabilities. Boowaah! To me it looks like something to graduate into. Although they could be tamed down in the radio. I have been leaning to the MCPX brushless. I saw a guy convert a mcpx to brushless. (Handfull of Dynamite) Yea, the money (250) is still in it, but I think that this will buy me a lot! of experience without breaking the bank on repairs and me getting bored with it. And I certainly do not mind the small size. I still get a real kick out of the v911.

heli-maniac

i own a 130x and would not tell a newer pilot like myself that it would be good to learn on yes you will never out grow it but they are a big heli in a little body

wolfman76

first of WELCOME TO THE RC-HELP FAMILY glad to have you.... second me personally if i get another heli especially a smaller one it will be the mcpx but that is my preference seeing as none of my helis are smaller then the blade 400 also have a exi 450 and hk500gt but it is a matter of preference i guess but the mcpx would be a good start into cp helis lot of the guys on here say iof you can fly the mcpx real good the big helis are no problem...

xokia

My personal opinion on the brushless mcpx is that it will be a bad purchase decision. There are a few advantages to the standard mcpx and one of those is a relatively slow head speed. This makes a good in house flyer where damage is kept to a minimum to your house. There WILL still be some damage. The brushless mcpx will have significantly higher head speed so this advantage will be gone. Once you start talking about outdoor brushless helicopters the 130x is a significantly better helicopter IMO. The brushless mcpx hasn't been released yet. But once it does people will either confirm or prove me wrong soon enough.

callsign4223

Staff member
Ya, I was only suggesting the 130x on the basis that he said he has a lot of time on the fixed pitch heli. If he has most of his orientations down pat and feels comfortable doing figure 8's and circuits then the 130x might be a good next step. If you don't feel comfortable going with the 130x then I would suggest the MCPx. Again, I agree with Xokia here, I would not go with the brushless MCPx. The brushed has plenty of power to learn with, and the slower motor reduces damage in a crash to almost nothing. If you want to go brushless and are feeling up to it, go with the 130x.

Just my 2 cents.

GregC

Man, It is really great to have you guys pay attention to my inquiries! Our flying club here in Hartwell Ga. does not have even 1 heli pilot, so they are no good for me except for the friendship. There is another club about 20 miles away. I am going to check them out next Saturday. I really did not expect you all to answer so quickly. I have been watching Youtube lessons and practicing almost daily. I have absolutely no trouble hovering, making circuits, 8's, (now working on flying circuits backwards), but I am really wanting more and my chinese v911 just aint cuttin it (no power and doesn't handle wind, but it makes good practice), oh, the tiny Tx is just that, tiny. The only thing that is a little frustrating is that I tend to creep in altitude. I suppose it's just wanting to stay clear of the ground.
I think that it may be in my best interest to go with the standard mcpx 2 for now for $129. Buy the dx6i, without the extra rx's for $249 to grow with, and save the xtra bucks for a 130x when I am ready for it.
Do you guys have any idea who has really good deals on these. Everyone on the web has everything priced at MAP. The stores pretty much do as well. I figure you might save 10% at best, which is really not a big deal when you think about the big picture.

murankar

Staff member
I own the 120sr, I bought it on the basis of being an indoor flyer. In the house I had it was to big to fly. My tiny barely big enough garage was still to small to fly the 120sr. So I never really got any good flight time in unless I went out side.

Personally I feel that the 130x would have the same issue. So if you want an off season or "its to crappy out side to fly" kind of bird then the mcpx would be the route to go.

GregC

So is it better to get the dx7i with the 3 Rx's for the xtra $50 even though I have no idea what I would do with them except for maybe in a plane, which I "might" entertain. Seems pretty cheap for 3 although they are not alike.

murankar

Staff member
I think the deal is with the dx8. Just watch horizon hobbies will through a sale price. on the dx8 every once I a while.

GregC

Is it worth the xtra $50 to get the dx7s with the xtra 3 rx's even though I would not know what I would do with them except for a plane, which I am not necessarily excited about.

xokia

It depends on how comited you are to this hobby. The dx6i is good enough for all cp helicopters. But a dx8 is a better choice for future expansion. I bought a dx6 when I first got into and a dx8 1 month later. Now my dx6 is collecting dust.

GregC

Sorry about the repeat, thought it didn't take on the refresh.
I dont really have a problem about flying outside in inclement weather. Don't be hatin' but we have our own gymnasium. It is not as big as the new ones but it is plenty big enough. We bought an old school building from our rural county for less than we would have paid for a house. The gym is the only original building from 1924. It is tongue and groove pine, wall, ceiling, and floors. Looks like an 18th century ship inside. We remodeled the kindergarten wing into a house. Its pretty cool. But a hell of a lot of work!

murankar

Staff member
If you plan on going with a 3gx then you will want a dx7 or higher. Although you can run 3gx on the dx6i. If you plan on staying with this hobby then get the dx8. I started looking at the 8 then I moved to the 7 (mostly because of cost). Now I am looking a JR.

DX8 has 3 position switches, back light, and I believe telemetry. The 7 lacks all of those (I think telemetry can be added).

heli-maniac

i di the same thing started with the 6 then went to the 8 and i like the 8 tons over the 6 just in the feel of the radio
never held a dx7 so i cant say on that

murankar

Staff member
real estate must be expensive and the city must have wanted to ditch that property. My God that has got to be a huge building for a house.

And yes I am jealous that you have an flying field built into you house.

Top Bottom