Micro Which Heli?

GregC

I am a bit of an engineer, with a machine shop and all. So I really appreciate well crafted stuff. I was all for the 6i from reading reviews until I went to the hobby shop and personally compared them. The 6i as you know is not the same quality of box as the 7 or 8. I think that i have decided to go for the 7s for the xtra $100. I don't want to hold a 6i knowing that I should have bought at least 1 step up. I really do not know how much I would expand into other channels. I suppose you sometimes don't know what you need until you need it. I used to fly planes a little, but just got tired of messing with fuel and expenses. I picked up a toy heli as stated earlier and was hooked almost instantly. This is a great stress reliever from the job. I didn't know exactly how much I enjoyed heli's until about 3 weeks ago when I was flying, I realized that my attention to the transmitter and sticks almost disappeared. I have heard that your brain rewires itself to fly heli's. I can only assume that it is like learning to walk or use a prostetic arm or something. When I try to purposely pay attention to the sticks it is easier to forget them and pay attention to the heli. Is that wierd? You don't get that in the tutorials.

xokia

Build quality IMO is identical between the dx6 and dx8. Really you just get better software and more functionality with the dx8. I honestly would expect more out of the dx8 as far as build quality goes but it's just not there. It's not crap by any stretch but also doesn't look like a significantly more expensive transmitter either. So don't base your decision on that alone.

GregC

32,000 sq ft. + 7acres + old parsons house for 170k. County did want to get rid of it. They had it for sale for 4 years, but wanted much much more for it than what we paid. They just finally wanted it gone and we wore them down on the price til they bled. Oh, it was an interesting transaction all right. Funny thing though. After we bought it, many people were really mad at us because they couldn't get it at a decent price like we were able to, and we didn't even live here. Well, they had 4 years to work on it is the way that I looked at it. We wrapped it up in 30 days. Maybe it was just being at the right place at the right time. We had to move our small business, and have a house, but couldn't afford both. So we lived in a motor home for a year until we could get the living space close enough to move in. We did all the work ourself. And damn, I am tired! The only problem is that the work never goes away. Fix something, and something else needs to be fixed.
The main reason we jumped at the space is so that my wife can develop an animal therapy center which we are working on for abused, foster, and handicap children in the community. There is nothing like that within 75 miles of here. And wife has serious skills with children with disabilities. It is not moving as fast as we would like. We have lots of labor, but not lots of money. So we keep moving forward.
Anyhow, my neighbor lets me fly the heli on her 16 acre pasture behind us. That would be a jam up place to fly planes, but I'm not so interested in that. I mostly have asphalt.

Tony

Staff member
Okay I just skimmed through this thread and holy crap, the members here are helping out a LOT. I love it. Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here!

The DX7s and DX8 are housed in the EXACT SAME CASE. The difference is the DX8 has 3 position switches, a back lit screen and extra space for models. I LOVE my DX8 and have no idea of upgrading any time soon. The statement above saying there is no quality difference in the DX6i and DX7s/DX8, I have to disagree. There is a HUGE difference. The DX6i is ALL PLASTIC whereas the DX7s/DX8 has rubber on the sides and back for the grips. Much better to hold in your hand. The DX6i has the smallest screen of them all and only holds 10 models. And the gimbals and pots on the DX7s/DX8 are FAR SUPERIOR to teh DX6i.

With that said, the DX6i is a great Tx to start out with. Especially since they have went to DSMX from DSM2. But, as stated somewhere in this thread, if you are wanting to fly anything with the 3GX gyro (Align gyro on all of their flybarless heli's), then you will want 7+ channels. It's just easier and cleaner to setup. I use a DX8 (as mentioned) and I will never look back.

The Blade mCP-X is a great helicopter and the statement that it's "slow", I also have to disagree with. The heli is very quick and it is much better than anything you have now. Putting a brushless motor in it will really wake it up. I have an HP05 in mine (I think) and holy crap it's a snappy little thing. The new brushless is also stated as having a 2s battery and a lower Kv motor as well so the ridiculous head speed will not be there. But it will still be high since it's a small bird.

IMO, the DX7s with teh two free Rx is a great deal. You ask yourself now what you would use those extra Rx's for, but later you would kick yourself for not doing this deal when you need them and they are $50-$80 each to purchase.

IMO, I would get the DX7s or the DX8 and never have to look at another Tx again. The mCP-X brushless that's coming out would be a great first step into the CP world. The 130x would cost more to crash and there are some upgrades that it does really need like the tail pitch slider and the tail servo, but from what I have heard is also a great heli. But, I'm still goign to suggest the mCP-X with the brushless motor for your first.

The reason people are saying to go 400 size or higher is as stated before, they are quite stable for what they are, and pretty cheap to fix. The Align 250 is very twitchy and hard to fly, but the mcpx has a 3 axis gyro that makes it much more stable to fly.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help any further.

GregC

Thanks Tony,
I am really surprised at the help that I have received here. I am not forum savvy, but I am really glad that I signed on here. So far, I have pretty much decided to go with the mcpx as a first CP for me. Everyone has pretty much confirmed the research that I have done. The only thing that i have not ground into stone is whether to wait on the brushless model coming out in a week or so, or just get the brushed to get going on my CP training and save the xtra $100 for now. I know that the brushless will kick my arse, so I will have to tame it down for quite a while. The only thing is that when I saw a guy fly his brushless mod on youtube Brushless Mcp X 3d flight - YouTube, it's like dynamite! Now I will be going no where near this type of performance any time soon! But, I really like how the brushless motor does not draw down under cyclic load. Is that worth paying the extra bucks for up front while learning CP, maybe not. But damn, the brushless has punch, even if I am not ready to punch.

xokia

The slowness of a mcpx is relative. It's significantly slower in flight then a 130x. When you flip it or roll it it occurs much slower then the 130x. So much so that you kinda need to roll the collective smoothly instead of snapping it back and expecting a response.

One the dx8 I'm not all that impressed with rubber grips considering the remote is twice as expensive. It still feels and looks cheap in your hand with all the plastic bits. Beings hardware engineer I know how easy it is to enable new features by flipping bits in the code. So call me under whelmed. It's still a very nice transmitter we just have a difference in opinion on what represents build quality.

Last edited:

xokia

Now I will be going no where near this type of performance any time soon! But, I really like how the brushless motor does not draw down under cyclic load. Is that worth paying the extra bucks for up front while learning CP, maybe not. But damn, the brushless has punch, even if I am not ready to punch.
If your gonna go brushless get the 130x. The 130x is significantly better brushless helicopter. I've spent less in parts on the 130x then the mcpx. The repair cost for the commonly broken parts are similar in expense. The 130x is a pretty tough bird. If you intend to fly indoors the mcpx is the way to go if damage to your house is a concern. But it sounds like that's not much of a concern. I'd still get the mcpx as a beginner because it's slower and will give you more time to react and make corrections. Still the non brushless version

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Tony I really kinda take offense to be saying I'm wrong. It's a difference of opinion. The slowness of a mcpx is relative. It's significantly slower in flight then a 130x. When you flip it or roll it it occurs much slower then the 130x. So much so that you kinda need to roll the collective smoothly instead of snapping it back and expecting a response.

One the dx8 I'm not all that impressed with rubber grips considering the remote is twice as expensive. It still feels and looks cheap in your hand with all the plastic bits. Beings hardware engineer I know how easy it is to enable new features by flipping bits in the code. So call me under whelmed. It's still a very nice transmitter we just have a difference in opinion on what represents build quality.

I am sorry if you are offended, I did not mean to do that. I do agree that it's a difference in opinion. all transmitters are plastic, they all pretty much feel the same and they all pretty much have the same crap inside them. But the quality of the electronics is what raises the price. As an engineer, you know this. I stand behind what I said in that the mcpx is a great helicopter and the DX8 is far superior to the dx6i.

xokia

I am sorry if you are offended, I did not mean to do that. I do agree that it's a difference in opinion. all transmitters are plastic, they all pretty much feel the same and they all pretty much have the same crap inside them. But the quality of the electronics is what raises the price. As an engineer, you know this. I stand behind what I said in that the mcpx is a great helicopter and the DX8 is far superior to the dx6i.
I agree the mcpx is a great helicopter. I agree the dx8 is a superior remote i recommended both. Build quality wise though we have a differing opinion on the two remotes. And I already stated what I mean by slowness on the mcpx.

No hard feelings

GregC

Thanks Xokia, I am inclined to agree with you, except that I should be able to tame the brushless beast in programming to get started, or should I just be realistic and get the brushed model and be done with it. Once I start training and get a grip on flips and rolls, I don't want to wind up with sloppy maneuvers just because i am under powered. Please don't misunderstand my continued questions, I am just ready to make a decision and get an order rolling. I have been thinking about this for over a month. I really like the realistic view of the brushless that Tony posted for me. I assume that his brushless was a mod and not factory, since the OEM has not released it yet. I have seen many videos of the mcpx's in flight and the brushed ones seem to lack a little luster in snappy maneuvers. Having said that, I am not ready for those lustered or non lusterd moves just yet.

Tony

Staff member
In the interest of peace, and keeping the forum friendly, I changed the wording in my post. I reread it and it did come off the way you took it. My bad. I do still stand behind what I said and is what makes a forum great. It gives people different opinions on an item and gives them a better idea of what to choose.

I would like to hear more about why you think the Dx8 feels cheap though, but not in this thread. Just something that interests me.

As you stated, no hard feelings. I always appreciate feedback no matter what it is.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Xokia, I am inclined to agree with you, except that I should be able to tame the brushless beast in programming to get started, or should I just be realistic and get the brushed model and be done with it. Once I start training and get a grip on flips and rolls, I don't want to wind up with sloppy maneuvers just because i am under powered. Please don't misunderstand my continued questions, I am just ready to make a decision and get an order rolling. I have been thinking about this for over a month. I really like the realistic view of the brushless that Tony posted for me. I assume that his brushless was a mod and not factory, since the OEM has not released it yet. I have seen many videos of the mcpx's in flight and the brushed ones seem to lack a little luster in snappy maneuvers. Having said that, I am not ready for those lustered or non lusterd moves just yet.

The issue that I had as well as many others with the stock mcpx with teh brushed motors is it would blow the tail out all the time. If you go a little too hard on the collective, it would take the power away from teh tail, go into an uncontrollable piro and crash. For me, if you have seen my crash test video on this bird, I have to jump my fence to get it lmao.

Can you tame the brushless motor down, you bet you can. Just lower your throttle curve starting out to lower the head speed. Boom, you have the same as the brushed motor pulling less power to boot for longer flight times.

It's up to you. If you want a heli now, you can't go wrong with the DX7s and the mCP-X V2. But, if you wait, you can get the DX7s (might or might not still have the sale on the free rx's) and the brushless model. One thing in this hobby, it's like computers. Once you buy something, it's outdated the next month. Just look at my mcpx and how much money I have in it. I have over $300 in mine with all of the upgrades and there is no way I will be able to get that back. But, to have the latest, greatest, and fastest, it was worth it.

Even if you get the brushed version, you will love it. It's a great way to teach you collective management.

xokia

From what I can tell of the specs released on the brushless mcpx I would expect it to be like the 130x but with a tail motor instead of torque tube. That's why I said if you want brushless just get the 130x. Watch the 130x videos to get an idea. You can get a brushed mcpx for $130. A brushless mcpx for $230 and a 130x for $250. For brushless to me it would be a no brainer.

Yes the brushed version is not as snappy but still very capable. It's more beginner friendly because you have more time to make corrections. But you gotta decide what your wallet can handle in the future and how quickly you learn things. The mcpx you might get bored of in the future. The 130x you will keep around and it doesn't get boring. But it's also not as user friendly.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
What xokia stated above is a great point. The brushless mcpx and 130x are way too close in price. I didn't even realize that. The 130 is a better heli with a shaft driven tail and variable pitch tail blades. Just make sure to read up on the forum about what people are replacing on teh bird and have them ready for when they break. You in no way have to go crazy like coolgabsi has with his, but it would make a great heli. Just a little more costly to repair per crash. If you crash hard that is. It can still take a crash pretty well.

Lee

Wow I go to bed, wake up and theres a whole 4 pages of new thread waiting for me. :D
Welcome Greg, to our friendly forum.
So going on whats been said already, i will just talk about the helis you seem to be contemplating.
The MCPX.
I have had it in Brushed mode and Brushless. Going Brushless doesn't necessarily mean super high head speed, twitchy etc.. You can always dial down the settings i your TX. I went for the slower brushless motor in mine, the C05M. It give a similar performance to the stock motor. Why change it then? I here you ask. The Huge advantage is the longevity of the motor. If this is going to be your go to heli, that you will be flying a lot, a brushed motor is going to burn out pretty fast. I got through two in a couple of months flying. Once i changed to a Brushless motor i haven't had to change again, and the tail response was vastly improved too.

I'm really looking forward to see how the new MCPX full brushless heli holds up. It's a new heli and as with all new models, there are teething problems with the first batches.
The 130X looks like a great heli. I'm sure you can calm it down in your TX to fly the way you like it. And as long as you are quick on the Throttle hold, damage should be kept to a minimum.
So the choices
Brushed MCPX: Cheap to buy now, cheap parts. Brushed motors burn out quickly, poor tail holding performance.
MCPX Converted to Brushless Main: Good tail holding, more consistent power. Put more stress on Stock parts
New MCPX: Dual Brushless, Unknown quantity
130X : Larger easier to see. No tail motor to worry about. More power, more leeway to adjusting for your style of flying.

DX7S will be a great radio.

xokia

What xokia stated above is a great point. The brushless mcpx and 130x are way too close in price. I didn't even realize that. The 130 is a better heli with a shaft driven tail and variable pitch tail blades. Just make sure to read up on the forum about what people are replacing on teh bird and have them ready for when they break. You in no way have to go crazy like coolgabsi has with his, but it would make a great heli. Just a little more costly to repair per crash. If you crash hard that is. It can still take a crash pretty well.
That is what I was getting at. At a $20 price difference I think you have to kinda want a brushless mcpx to justify the cost unless this drops at some point. As for breakage on the 130x, so far I have broken landing gear, tail fin, and a set of blades on the 130x. These parts have almost exactly the same cost as the mcpx. The canopy on the 130x is made from much better material. I've broke or cracked countless canopies on the mcpx. I also always seem to always break landing gear on the mcpx. I don't know about a real serious crash since I haven't had to ever fix anything major. Maybe some others have more experience with that. I've smashed the 130x into the ground inverted pretty hard and always have been impressed with how little damage there is. Mainly I just have had to wipe off the grass and mud from the blades. IMO the 130x fairs better in a crash. Those are just my experiences.

The one thing on the 130x that has turned out more expensive and unexpected is the tail bearings. I wont stick the stock ones back in they are junk.

*edit* almost forgot about the A gear its almost a must to swap out to the metal version on the 130x.

Last edited:

GregC

Well, I don't know how anyone could want a better sounding board than you guys! I have really been cramming to make a decision about my next step. I have read a lot of reviews about the radio's and think that I am going to pick up the DX7s. Now amazon is no great resource for credible rc reviews IMO, but I read this negative review on the DX8. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DX8 8CH Transmitter with AR8000/TM1000: No Servos And while I do not take this as gospel as it is just one negative review in bunches of five stars. But it did make me realize that there is no way that I will ever use or attempt to understand all those things that he goes on about whether or not he is accurate with his experience. Besides, if everyones DX8's were falling out of the sky, there would be no DX8 to talk about. "If" I ever go back to a plane the DX7 will do it for me. I found a DX7s with an AR8000, AR611-5E, and a AR400 RX's for $299. (this is a special that Horizon put our in Dec. for a seasonal promo, a few of them are still around). Those rx's are worth $211 by themselves. I also found a DX7s with no rx's for $229 locally. I can live with and am comfortable with the DX7s now, at one of those price points.
After digesting all of the last months info and receiving all of everyones information here, I am leaning heavily toward the 130x and taming it down and working into it. I don't think that I will be disappointed for a very long long time. So I buy a few parts, at least I will not look back and say I wish I had bought one and didn't. It's mostly about the crash damage and I am not a wreckless flyer by any means. But not so expensive parts will allow me to be a little more free to try new things without spending $100 to fix it when the new things don't go exactly as planned. (I have lots of tall grass to fly over) If I need an indoor fix, I can do the chinese dance with the el cheapo.

I want to keep you guys posted on my adventure, but trust me I am not forum savvy yet, and you guys are my only forum friends ever. And this almost 50 old man needs more savvy, trust me. So do I just continue in this thread? School me please, so I don't make a fool of myself. I can do plenty of that while flying.

BTW Some of the FPV videos on her are well, breath taking! I wonder how expensive those FPV camera quads are? $$$$$ I would think that a 6 gyro setup would be almost essential.
I was in Cessna flight school until a flight instructor cause the leaky stuff to leaky into my pants area doing stalls. Enough of that! Then I bought an ultralight which was better than a Cessna for fun. (I do have stories!) And now I am just tickled to be messing with heli's. I never imagined that I would enjoy it so much! The thing that I like most is that it keeps your mind sharp and the adrenaline pumping pretty inexpensively. (and safely, most of the time) The wife doesn't see the attraction, but you all know the answer to that one. Some things just cant be explained to those that we love, and thats all I will say about that.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for befriending me on the beginning of my heli quest!

Tony

Staff member
Hey Greg, one thing that I want to point out on that review is that it was written back in Oct. 2010. That is when the DX8 was first released and there have been recalls on them. The DX6i and the DX7s have also had recalls. All of this has been resolved and the DX8 is a VERY reliable platform.

Ultimately the decision is yours. I chose the DX8 because it was on a special with the free Rx's, has a back lit screen (must have for me) and has 3 position switches everywhere. The DX7s only has a 3 position switch on the flaps (I think, Stokke can clarify this). But, the DX7s will do everything that I can foresee in the future. I would have went with the 7s if I didn't get the 8 with the free Rx.

The 130x is on my list of "wants" and I will have one this year. I just don't know when this year. I have a BIG plan for a heli that may suck me dry.

As stated, the DX8 is now just fine, as fine as the 7s. But you will be happy no matter what way you go.

As for posting in a forum, it's up to you. Since you have made your decision on the 7s and 130x, then this thread is just about done. Maybe make a thread in the micro heli section for the 130x and a thread in the Spektrum section under Tx's for the 7s. But only if you have questions.

Dont' worry about making too many threads. As long as they are in the correct section (or you are trying to put them in the section you think they are best in) we have no problems with you posting new threads. There is only one way you will even learn anything in this hobby and that is by asking questions. And we are here to answer anything you ask. No matter how small you think the question is. That is what sets us apart from the larger forums. We are very friendly and personable here and will never look down on those that are just getting into the hobby. I urge you to ask the questions. I'm happy to answer them.

GregC

Thanks a lot for the input Tony. I dont want to go thread happy, because I know that a lot of my questions have already been answered multiple times with me being a newbie so I really need to spend some time reading.
Just one more question for this thread. My wife caught me watching FPV's and flipped over it. (I was already attracted, but Mama has a say with the purse strings as we are partners in our finances) (She rarely says no). But, if I ventured into the FPV field one day with one of those nice Quads. (I haven't even researched the cost yet). Would the DX7 cover me on that? Or if I am interested in going there do I really need the DX8? I am sure that some of those quad platforms have all sorts of bells and whistles. BTW do you know the effective range on the TX. Some of those FPV quady seem to go ways away.

Top Bottom