What Did You Do Today???

Rob Lancaster

Total burrrrrr city folks... I see it on tv but still can't believe it... My sister In Nashville sent a picture today of her back deck and table covered in ice.
Keep the home fires burning guys!!

RandyDSok

We ended up with around 6.5" of snow at my place for Sun/Mon... I'll take snow over sleet any day of the week. Overnight temps went down to -12° F and currently it's up to +6° F.... The electric company started rolling outages this morning to help with the large demand they are having trouble keeping up with, I was without power for about an hour. This afternoon round 2 is suppose to start with another 4-6" being forecast by NWS by tomorrow... oh joy. :D

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I feel for anyone that has to deal with this crazy weather out west. Having no power is not fun. Especially when it's still cold out. When we lose power, from hurricanes, it's still hot out. I wish you all the best.

Rob Lancaster

Heck here in Hawaii we don't need a storm of any kind for the power to go out. Boy those transformer explosion's are spectacular! Or how's this, we get a lot of salt build up on the insulators up on the posts. Sometimes the salt shorts the insulators and they'll sit there and burn and melt with some cool colors.. Then eventually the final pop and the power goes out. Time to bust out ole Genny... Plug her into the transfer switch and boom! Power threw out the house.. Except 240v......
Here's some snaps of transfer switch installation I did years ago.. Sure comes in handy.. IMG_0649.JPGIMG_0656.JPGIMG_0658.JPG

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah. I need something like that for our solar generator and regular generator that we have. Eventually I would like to turn our little mother-in-law house into solar power run house.

Tony

Staff member
I do hope everyone that is dealing with this weather are being safe.

Thankfully, I have not yet been affected by the rolling power outages, but I'm with a different electric company from Randy, and most everyone else in the state. However, my electric company did state they may have to start doing the rolling blackout's. I hope not, because my generator won't start and needs some major maintenance. So if power goes out, we just have to deal with it...

Here at teh house. depending on where you step, it's either 6" where the wind has taken the snow away, to well over 24" where the snow has piled up. I'm sure there are higher drifts around, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go find them lmao. As I type this, it's +18F right now, so at least it is warming up.

Due to the weather down in the Houston area (Texas for those that don't know), I'm unable to connect to my VM (Virtual Machine) that I connect to for work. So today will mark the second day that I'm unable to work due to this weather. Kind of sucks, I work from home, but yet, I still can't go to work because of the weather lmao.

Stay safe and warm out there everyone.

Tony

Staff member
So today, I was asked to log into work, but we had NO work to do... Everything, including my company website is offline due to the winter storm in southern Texas, so we are just here burning the clock. And they will not allow us to clock out... The word "bored" needs a big brother word to explain what I'm going through right now...

RandyDSok

So today, I was asked to log into work, but we had NO work to do... Everything, including my company website is offline due to the winter storm in southern Texas, so we are just here burning the clock. And they will not allow us to clock out... The word "bored" needs a big brother word to explain what I'm going through right now...

I guess they don't understand the phrase "paid day off" ... On the otherhand, at least they are recognizing that their employee's do need a paycheck so they don't leave their employer for other work in order that they are able to pay bills.

Tony

Staff member
This is true. And we should get paid for Tuesday, Wednesday and part of thursday that I missed by not being able to log in. So company is taking care of their employees, just wish they could find something for us to do lol. So friggin bored right now...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I heard that warmer weather heading your way. Hopefully good things will start getting back on track. Good luck :).

Tony

Staff member
Oh yea, it's already 42ºF today at 1415 and things are melting nicely. Roof almost completely clear. So things will be back to normal soon. Texas is another story though. They had far more damage than we did.

Fly-n-Low

I ended up with 5" of sleet, then came the freezing rain. We had 7 days in a row where the temps never broke freezing, and mostly stayed in the twenties. I sure am glad it is over, but I have a heck of a mess to clean up, limbs everywhere. Never lost power, but lost water for a full day. My dish froze and I lost internet for 3 days.

I wish it would dry up so I could get at it. Seems just when it is getting dry enough start cleaning up, it rains again.

Top Bottom