• Guest, Thank you for visiting Rc-Help. Please do NOT post tech questions in this section, post them in the Tech section instead. Thank you.
  • Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

What Did You Do Today???

RandyDSok

@Rob Lancaster

Personally, I prefer to use an app or program to view radar data since they usually provide more options that websites ( by anyone ). The following is more info than you need but it gives some of the options available.

The first one I'll mention is called MyRadar, which is free for Android, IOS and Windows, isn't the best at radar but it is a good general overview type of app and does provide a nice mosaic that you can include a lot of other weather related data... Things like a wind graphic that indicates direction and speed, cloud cover, fronts, SPC outlooks, temps, hurricane info, wildfire, air quality and a crap ton of other info. Additional options like single site radar info is available for a subscription fee. As a general overview of radar and weather, it can't be beat for the price.

The next one I can't ignore is Radarscope. It's a single site radar app available on most platforms except Linux... so Android, IOS, Mac and Windows. It's a single charge for the basic app ( $9.99 ) with additional data available for subscriptions ( what they call Level 1 for $9.99 a year and Level 2 which is about $100 per yr ). On the basic app you have all of the level 3 radar products available as well as what they call SuperRes for both the reflectivity and velocity products. SuperRes is basically level 2 ( higher resolution ) data that is precompiled for the device so a large amount of data download isn't required making it nice on portable devices like smartphones.

The last 3 products are from a company called GrLevelx and are professional level products. Two of them are radar based, one for the standard definition level 3 radar products and one for the high definition level 2 products. You can use customized color tables ( the other products above do not allow customization on these ) and they allow what is called placefiles to add additional data to the radar data as overlays. Some of the placefiles I use have weather data like temps, wind speeds, humidity, lightning data and just about anything else that is available as a data feed. In addition you can also add GIS data for more detail maps of roads, railways, riverways and the like. GrLevel3 is $79.95 and GrLevel2 Analyst is $250.00 ( both are at v2.x currently ). The 3rd product is more for weather analysis with the latest weather data ( not real time), access to the forecast models and also including a radar mosaic on a national level ( CONUS ) and some additional worldwide data as well and the data feed for it is provided by a 3rd party company that requires a yearly subscription of $180.00 per year. They also still list their plain Grlevel2 ( that isn't the Analyst version ) but it has been discontinued, it's still there to allow the owners that had purchased it, to re-download it again if needed.

Here's the best loop I could find.. Hawaii Weather Radar Loops

And your right, I meant pretty much the speed or pause settings. And back ground, and roads and counties and the ability to go to the bottom of the page a go to any radar in the country. Oh and the clock is only UTC, I want local time the way it was... I don't know, I'm disappointed in the new setup...

I've seen many other radar products from the news and other private sources and I always came back to the NOAA site. Oh I almost forgot, the old site had auto-update and it worked great.. Actually I have more complaints but you get the gest.. You got-ah know the old site I'm talking about; right?

@Rob Lancaster

Personally, I prefer to use an app or program to view radar data since they usually provide more options that websites ( by anyone ). The following is more info than you need but it gives some of the options available.

The first one I'll mention is called MyRadar, which is free for Android, IOS and Windows, isn't the best at radar but it is a good general overview type of app and does provide a nice mosaic that you can include a lot of other weather related data... Things like a wind graphic that indicates direction and speed, cloud cover, fronts, SPC outlooks, temps, hurricane info, wildfire, air quality and a crap ton of other info. Additional options like single site radar info is available for a subscription fee. As a general overview of radar and weather, it can't be beat for the price.

The next one I can't ignore is Radarscope. It's a single site radar app available on most platforms except Linux... so Android, IOS, Mac and Windows. It's a single charge for the basic app ( $9.99 ) with additional data available for subscriptions ( what they call Level 1 for $9.99 a year and Level 2 which is about $100 per yr ). On the basic app you have all of the level 3 radar products available as well as what they call SuperRes for both the reflectivity and velocity products. SuperRes is basically level 2 ( higher resolution ) data that is precompiled for the device so a large amount of data download isn't required making it nice on portable devices like smartphones.

The last 3 products are from a company called GrLevelx and are professional level products. Two of them are radar based, one for the standard definition level 3 radar products and one for the high definition level 2 products. You can use customized color tables ( the other products above do not allow customization on these ) and they allow what is called placefiles to add additional data to the radar data as overlays. Some of the placefiles I use have weather data like temps, wind speeds, humidity, lightning data and just about anything else that is available as a data feed. In addition you can also add GIS data for more detail maps of roads, railways, riverways and the like. GrLevel3 is $79.95 and GrLevel2 Analyst is $250.00 ( both are at v2.x currently ). The 3rd product is more for weather analysis with the latest weather data ( not real time), access to the forecast models and also including a radar mosaic on a national level ( CONUS ) and some additional worldwide data as well and the data feed for it is provided by a 3rd party company that requires a yearly subscription of $180.00 per year. They also still list their plain Grlevel2 ( that isn't the Analyst version ) but it has been discontinued, it's still there to allow the owners that had purchased it, to re-download it again if needed.

Yeah it looks like this might be the only way to get a decent view...
Thanks buddy!...

Tony

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure it is easier to learn how to fly a CCPM helicopter all over again rather than learning this new router config! There is most definitely a steep learning curve in learning this new equipment, and I have not even began working on SSH... That is going to bring a whole new level of "learning curve" to this stuff lol.

I'm pretty sure it is easier to learn how to fly a CCPM helicopter all over again rather than learning this new router config! There is most definitely a steep learning curve in learning this new equipment, and I have not even began working on SSH... That is going to bring a whole new level of "learning curve" to this stuff lol.

I hartley agree with you on that Tony. Maybe someday more of that computer jargon might sink in, ha!

In the mean time I flew my Trex 450 3 times a couple of days ago. She flies great! Wish I had more room. Anyway my lawn here is rough, even when cut. So take offs and landings are sketchy. Even the tail rotor is cutting grass. Sometimes the rear skids dig in at take off and oh boy that's a pucker factor event! I love the Trex 450 Pro but the stock skids aren't very wide at the skid pipes so it ain't stable and the tail rotor clearance to ground is to low...

Sooooooo,,, here's what I'm working on.
My nephew in California has a 3D printer so I thought this would be the perfect time learn more about that and use the technology to manufacture some new skids. He said no problem! Alright! Let's rock!! Ha!

So far I finished the new measurements with photos and I just sent them to him. I'm sure they'll need tweaking but the ball is rolling. I also want to add heal pads to the rear of the skids. Like the MD500D uses. He said we can look over a 3d illustration before it's printed out and make sure everything is kosher.. WILD!!

Good luck on your new venture Tony, I'm having fun here...

RandyDSok

Hopefully you are regularly saving your configs as you go... in the event that you take a mis-step and need to revert to an earlier one without having to completely reset and start over.

leedude1

Hola folks, been a while.

Think we'll get to see a few fun flies this year people?

I'm going friggin stir crazy here in Montreal. Things are a little tighter with imposed curfews and all kinds of stuff going on, but another lost summer of fun flies will be tough pill to swallow.:moody:

Top Bottom