What Did You Do Today???

Rob Lancaster

Ok, back to the car..
I got very lucky because my local Honda dealer was able to order the thermostat housing I need so badly. WHEW! I took some snaps of the culprit. The bleeder nipple was frozen and then got cocked to one side when I tried to loosen it. Now it won't close and I have a permeant leak.. I don't mind telling you, I had a bit of a "S" hemorrhage, still can't find my plyers, lol! ………

A final note, this car has 114,000 + miles on it and the inside of the cooling system is like new. Thanks to 50/50 antifreeze! You know here in Hawaii I had a lot of my customers ask me, why do I need anti freeze here in Hawaii? It's doesn't get that cold here.. Anti freeze is still very important because it prevents freezing (of course) and it lubricates the water pump seal. Also it prevents rust and corrosion due to electrolysis.. Especially the two precision surfaces between the aluminum head and top of the cast iron block. Do not run 100% anti freeze! Your car will over heat and if you blow the head gasket, $$$$$..

I'll get on the power steering pump overhaul while I'm waiting for the thermostat housing to come in.. I still can't find the darn leak in the trunk too! ARG!!

Attachments

• IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 2

Fly-n-Low

Ya Rob, rub it in!!! I awoke to rain and a dingy day. Over cast and misting rain, fog...

D-O-G, that video is hilarious!!! If I wasn't so lazy, I would be selling FL Igs to Yankees in New England!!! HA!!!!

Rob Lancaster

Sorry I couldn't resist that crack about our weather, to night it's a beautiful 68 degs and it'll go down a bit more. The humidity is a very low 70%.. Probably go up before sun rise... This is my favorite time of year. Between Nov and March are our cool months. The rest of the time we sweat our okole's off.. With my condition, I no can handle some times...….

On to the on going Honda mission.
While I am waiting for some parts to come in for the cooling system, I discovered that I need to replace the power steering cooler and hoses/ clamps as well. I finished the pump overhaul, it was fun. Anyway I go to my local parts house and ask for power steering hose. I get home and think, I should have checked what kind of hose their pushing off on me. I look at the hose closely and guess what?.. It's heater hose, DOE!! LOL!!

So here I am searching all the parts houses looking for simple off the roll (power steering hose). Some had but the ID size was wrong, not at all a good fit for Honda. Which is crazy because there are a million Hondas here. Anyway I had a crazy idea. I thought I'd talk to my friend from Honda parts and boom!! He not only could get the right size and type but the hoses are formed and I get a cool discount, ha! Why didn't I just check him out first, arg... HA!!

Check out the pump overhaul action, enjoy.. I love rebuilding pumps, alternators, and starters and such. With the proper book/tools and available parts, it's good fun, you can revive them...

Attachments

• IMG_1812 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1812 - Copy.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1805 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1805 - Copy.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1806 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1806 - Copy.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1807 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1807 - Copy.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1808 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1808 - Copy.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1809 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1809 - Copy.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1810 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1810 - Copy.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1811 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1811 - Copy.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 2

Rob Lancaster

Hey guys, does anyone know a good way to restore plastic head light lenses? Man the ones on this car are waisted.. I did try in the past those restore kits you get at the store but they really don't do much and it doesn't last.. Any ideas?

Tony

Staff member
It will never last once the surface is damaged. You have to keep up with it. Here is a video of a kit that I used a while back.

Rob Lancaster

Yeah I just saw a video from the Chemical Guys.. Their procedure is like yours's.. The last time we did it we didn't do it like that so I think we may have a chance. Anyway look at the picture, what do you think? It's pretty brown but their not all cracked and stuff so maybe I can still save them... Another great video thanks buddy!!

Oh hey while were on this topic, do you know the real scoops on those high output bulbs?? Are they good are do they melt the lenses?

Attachments

• IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
If you take your time and do it like I did it in the video, those lenses will come out clear. Just be sure to take your time, and use water on every step. And when you go to a smoother sandpaper, make sure you remove the scratch pattern from the grit before. It should be a uniform surface as you are going.

And bulbs are bulbs. Some move the filament to move the light pattern around, but I don't know of any getting hotter than others.

murankar

Staff member
After that one write I did back in 2013 I switched to the mother's kit. It worked very well. One downside or negative was it did not come with the UV protector solution. I had to get that separate. Another draw back I found was the pitting in the lenses.

Was it worth it? For me yes because I had that vehicle for a few years. If you plan o. Keeping the vehicle till it falls apart I would just buy a new lense.

Tony

Staff member
You can use regular carnauba wax to protect the lens. You just need a layer of protection on the surface. There are other waxes out there that are specifically for head lights.

If you want a more permanent solution, you can sand it with 800 grit wet until the haze is nice and uniform, and then coat it with a high quality clear coat. It's cheaper than a new light, but sometimes, a new light is the right choice.

Fly-n-Low

Once they are crazed or the protective surface goes away, they are toast. I tried saving them on my 06 Dodge truck, but no such luck as the surface was compromised. My 02 Z28 were crazed, there is no fixing that either. Replacements aren't that expensive and make the vehicle look "new" again.

Rob Lancaster

Wow guys, lots of good input on this for sure.
I figure I'll talk to my friend at Honda just to see what my price is. And after a gulp, I'll probably try the wet sanding and compounding approach first. I'll let you guys know how it comes out...……
Thanks...………………

murankar

Staff member
I didn't do it today, I di it on saturday. Got a new lappy. my 4 laptops are all old. I have 3 Panisonic CF-52 i5s with 8 gigs of ram and a 250 gig hard drive. These are my play around with stuff laptops. One is on win7 while the others are on linux. My 4th laptop ingot back in 2016 which is dieing a slow death. Its starting to show its age. The keyboard has dead keys, the memory is maxed at 6 gigs, hard drive is a 500 gig replacement because when I was in South carolina in 2018 (when my tranny blew out on me) my original hard drive died. So inseapped it out with a new one and because i could not get the recovery partition to work in just tossed it. I could have downloaded win8 and reloaded but I didn't want that nightmare again.

Now I have a new MSI lappy. I can't tell ya everything it has. It's a small beast for what I want to do. Time to get back to it.

20200204_111823.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sweet URI. I hope this lappy has and does everything you want it to do. Good luck and enjoy :).

murankar

Staff member
TBH it's been so long since I looked at pc hardware. I dont even know what I have in today's standards. I know it's big I just dont know how big.

murankar

Staff member
My Goal is to run 4 small virtualbox servers on it and just play around. all the servers will be a base install of Debian Jessie with no gui. I made the base image already I just have to build out the servers I want.

Just incase I get board of that I want to play skyrim and the Witcher 2. Those 2 games are ones I like to play.

Top Bottom