What Did You Do Today???

Tony

Staff member
So I'm sitting here in the studio setting up the new RCH Backup server that will go online in a few weeks. It's quiet except for the random youtube video that I have playing to have a little sound and something to look at instead of text. So the volume is low and it's nice and quiet since everyone else is asleep. I had just went to the freezer and pulled out one of those awesome Bunny ice cream things (they are really good) and come in here and sat down. As I was opening the package I hear an incredibly loud BOOM!!!! I'm talking gunshot loud!

I'm the only one awake and I'm in the studio. I don't make it a habit to carry my gun (Glock .45 if you are curious lol) into the office to shoot and edit videos, but I sure wish I had. It's across the house in another room. So I pull out my knife, my only weapon at the time and I'm ready to kill someone. But something wasn't right. This sound came from INSIDE my house. My 140lb Doberman 'Gunny" is laying in his bed in the living room, and he is not barking and trying to kill someone. So this is odd.

Knife in hand, my thoughts (other than it's weird my dog isn't barking and killing someone) are to get across the house and get my little 230 grain buddy. I go to walk out of the office and there was a fold up plastic table on the floor outside my office. This wasn't here when I came in with my ice cream. That is when it hit me, It was this 20lb flat table falling over onto a flat floor. Every banged two pieces of flat wood together? Yea, make that sound louder and deeper (enough to create a concussion you can feel) and that is the sound that I heard.

Turns out when we put the table in its place, we didn't check to see if it was balanced lol. If I would have been in bed asleep (where I should be right now BTW), you want to talk about a tactical clearing of my house. Nothing like clearing out your own house looking for someone suspicious....

So yea, I'm awake now...

Admiral

Got started on Gaui X3L build, no flying today Cyclone sitting off the coast winds gusting to 45 knots.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, we have some pretty high winds as well here. But the temp is great. All house windows are now open lol. Well, every room has A window open. If I open all of them it may blow the carpet off my floor....

murankar

Staff member
Most of Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York is without power. Hopefully we have power before the morning. Chances are we won't. Cross fingers.

murankar

Staff member
Yeah, maybe so. I think a major regional power station went out. First energy has not updated the site yet. All I know is that trucks are being dispatched.

Tony

Staff member
Hopefully you guys have a way to stay warm up there. If you are still "up there" and not in GA.

murankar

Staff member
In Ohio right now. Temps are 31 F with real feel 15 F. Winds are fairly high right now.

Wind gusts up in the lower 30S mph.

murankar

Staff member
If this keeps up we will loose at least 1 lizard, 2 goldfish, and all the beta fish. For what ever reason school is still in session. I don't know how but it is. Really I am glad it is because the kids will be miserable here. Anyhow hope power comes back on soon.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I hope you get your power back soon URI. As for the lizard, do you have any space heaters or drop lights? Any form of heat is better then none. Even turn your oven on and maybe move the lizard to the oven. Just some ideas.

murankar

Staff member
This house has no electric. In have no way of getting heat in this house. The oven is electric, the stove is also. Our furnace is gas but needs electricity to run. Its not a good situation.

I just wrapped the water dragon in some flannel and stuffed him in a box. He is not going to be happy when he comes out.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sorry about those dumb suggestion URI. Wasn't thinking. Here's another dumb suggestion, don't you have your solar panels and some sort of converter. Maybe you converter has an outlet that you can run an electrical cord to the inside of your home. Just another idea. I know that your pets or like every ones else pet... part of the family and you don't want to see anything happen to them.

murankar

Staff member
Its all good Ivan, I was a bit stressed about losing the water dragon.

Good news, power is back on. I managed to protect the water dragon and he is now back in his luxurious enclosure warming up. He is not out of the woods yet so to speak. Our hedgehog is also questionable. Won't know for a little bit.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's great news about your power coming back on. Wow you also have a hedgehog. Too cool! :). I had the chance to pet a hedgehog at the San Diego wild life park zoo in Cali. when my dad use to live there. I always wanted one but we ended up with a ferret instead.

murankar

Staff member
Ours is very temperamental. She will quill you in a heart beat.

We have a few pets to say the least. 2 bearded dragons, 1 water dragon, 1 hedgehog, 2 dogs, 1 guinea pig, 5 beta fish and 2 gold fish. The gold fish made it btw. Over 12 hours with no air pump or warm air to newborns water warm.

Tony

Staff member
Just cleaned out one of my 8TB drives and put it into my server. Now this server is going to not only house the RCH backups, but it is also my Plex server as well as my NAS for all of my files and will have a drive for all of my backups. This is fun :D

Tony

Staff member
Oops, forgot to remove the orange 3.3v wire from the drive. On the new WD drives (they are RED drives but with a white label so they can't be sold as RED) they have a new feature. The drive can be turned off by applying a 3.3v line to the drive through the SATA power connector. To make these drives work as a standard internal desktop drive all you have to do is either tape the pins on the drive, or since this is a NAS drive, just remove the 3.3 line all together. This will allow the drive to turn on and work completely normal. So if you see one of the WD 8TB external HDD's on sale for $150 (Red drives are like $350), this is what you have to do if you want to stick it in your computer.

Tony

Staff member
Regarding the previous two posts in here, it takes a VERY LONG TIME to create a new pool in FreeNAS with an 8TB drive lmao. I'm going to be here for a while. Probably doesn't help that I only gave FreeNAS two cores to use lol. I'm currently working with Plex so I need the other two cores for that. Once everything is setup, I will free up all 4 cores and allow 4 cores on every VM. And yes, this is all in a VM. One for each. Lots of fun!

Top Bottom