What Did You Do Today???

RandyDSok

Wow, it's really amazing where cameras are now. And to add them to computers and things like a fully loaded Mead LX 200's, would be even nicer. Nice to dream.

Astrophotography is a fun rabbit hole to go down. You don't even need a telescope to get started, just a decent 200-300mm lens that you can switch into manual focus mode and sturdy tripod and a remote wireless trigger so you don't shake the camera/tripod when you click it to take a pic. Solar photos will also require a 16.5 f stop filter ( that is a ND 100000 ) and a box to put the camera in so most of it is shaded and only the lens is exposed.

For the dimmer deep sky objects, you find out what the longest time the lens you use will allow you to take a shot without also producing star trails ( which are also fun in themselves )... and you take several hundred pictures after you get the camera and lens manually focused in... then you use software to stack them together. After the stacking is done, you do what is usually called stretching the exposure... basically just bringing up the exposure level only for the light areas up and not the black areas... and balance the RGB signals since these wavelengths all focus differently. Cropping into the area of interest is another step in the process..

With solar photography using a filter... light levels are never the issue. Just point, adjust your ISO and exposure... and go. During a solar or lunar eclipse, you have to change your exposure time as the event progresses because of the vastly different levels of light through each of the "phases"

Some of what I've done can be seen here Sun, Moon & Stars – Rdsok.net ... and some of my favorites are on my front page here Rdsok.net – CAPTURING MOMENTS IN TIME

Manual focusing is tough and when doing fine work with stars, the Sun/Moon etc... fiddley at best. I will use my rear screen for this for the most part and change the focus back and forth "a million times" to get my lens to finally settle into the focus I want. My wireless monitoring of the focus is terrible on my camera, so I'll take some test shots when I think I've got it, turn off the camera and take out the memory card... then look at the results on my computer. If your camera has a focus assist mode where it magnifies the image, use it during focusing. Rinse and repeat as needed. Bumping the tripod and the wind will cause out of focus shots all of the time. If your camera uses a mirror to switch between the eye piece and the sensor, lock it up so it is sensor only to limit the vibrations that may cause. The required post-processing is almost as tedious but when you get a shot you like, it's well worth the effort in the end of getting something you can be proud of... it just takes a lot of time and practice.

Using an actual telescope with tracking and all of that... consists of all of that plus the telescope stand setup procedures needed for a proper polar alignment. Additionally you'd also need a T-ring adapter with a tube the right length to place your camera sensor at the focal point of the telescope lens. Adapter lens like focal reducers can also help by giving you a wider angle shot as well as making the telescope "faster" so your shots don't require as long of an exposure. I believe most newer scopes include or can have as an option, computer controls on them to help with star tracking etc.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi everyone, well this is my second weakness:pirate:. Model railroading:onthego: Remember those Lionel trains back in the 50's, that was me until I went in the army as a 18 year. My dad got me involved when I was 5 years old and every year we went to the Lionel Headquarters every Christmas in Mid town Manhattan, NYC. Lost interest while in South Vietnam, think you can understate why. So my parents donated the hold layout about $500.00 in 1960's prices then to a children hospital. Worth over $20,000.00 today, but all is good. It was while station in West Germany that I got into model airplanes hot and heavy. It was a perfect fit since I was already in a helicopter unit for the last 4 years. Belong to a American German club and met some of the nicest folks in the world. AN army pilot took me under his wing and taught me how to fly. Back then there were no foam kits and all planes were made of balsa with small non electric engines. No S.A.F.E. , gyros or any other system available. Stay with that until returning to the states in 1975, we were station at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn New York. So I had all these large model airplanes in our base housing and no where to really store them:nightmare:. Found a fellow soldier who was going to be station in Europe, so I sold everything to him. He was happy and I also was happy with a pocket full of money:peaceful:. My brother in law who was a NYPD officer got me interested back in model trains. And the rest is history since then. Every year got more involved in the hobby to the point started scratch building everything except the trains. Built a model train layout in every place we were station. Several years ago year 2000, in our present home built a layout that filled the garage minus space for the washer and dryer. That year hosted a model railroad tour group that 40 people visited my home. These are just a few photos of another one that's 2.5' x 8' double deck layout that been working on for past 15 years. Total weight is about 200 lbs:help:. 95% of the buildings are made by hand with complete detail interiors with both inside and outside lighting. There are over 50 vehicles and at least 500 hand painted people ( use a set of jeweler glasses for this fun task). All trains are run by digital command control which means they have a small decoder receiver in the engines. Thus allowing you to run as many as 50 trains on a layout at one time. Each one set at it's own speed. Similar to 2.4 Ghz for model aircraft, remember the old days in the hobby when you were flying on 27 or 72 mhz with a small flag? Well model trains still run on DC but have to have block control to rule more than one train. I would say this layout is worth about $5,000.00 with all the time, equipment invested. So what I did two years ago is gave this completed layout to my grandson for Christmas:semi-twins: And NOW besides enjoying the fruits of model aviation again hand building two more train layouts for my other grandsons:onthego: Best regards, Jim

Attachments

• 20221203_110832_resized_2.jpg
    20221203_110832_resized_2.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221203_110922_resized_1.jpg
    20221203_110922_resized_1.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221203_111045_resized_2.jpg
    20221203_111045_resized_2.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221203_111118_resized_2.jpg
    20221203_111118_resized_2.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221203_111610_resized_2.jpg
    20221203_111610_resized_2.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 6

RandyDSok

Wow Randy, you take awesome pictures! I'd like to try to capture some lightning the next time we get any action.

I do enjoy getting lightning shots... For safety reasons, I will only take the shots when the storm is more than 5-10 miles away ... either as it comes in or leaves my area. This is another area that my radar software helps me judge the distance to a storm. There are electronic lightning triggers but they are outside of my budget, I just use a wireless shutter release and just spam the button since it's too late once you see a bolt. This is another area I use manual focus by finding the furthest distance set of lights that are typically on the horizon if they are taken at night. You could do something similar for daytime shots by finding the most distant object and focusing on it. Night time shots have a big advantage, you can set your shutter to stay open a couple of seconds increasing the chances of the shot capturing a bolt and not overexposing like a daytime shot would.

Lightning of course is nothing to be lax about safety on. The last world record that I'm aware of is a bolt from a cloud on the east side of Oklahoma, landed 250 miles to the west side of Ok. That is probably an exception in distance but the point is that the bolts can still travel well out from a cloud and even the 5-10 mile range I use as a limit, carries some risk. Watching the storm before you setup and start taking the shots is recommended so you know the general behavior of how the lightning is striking in that storm system.

Last edited:

RandyDSok

Hi everyone, well this is my second weakness:pirate:. Model railroading:onthego: Remember those Lionel trains back in the 50's, that was me until I went in the army as a 18 year. My dad got me involved when I was 5 years old and every year we went to the Lionel Headquarters every Christmas in Mid town Manhattan, NYC. ...

I did have a train set when I was young ( pre-teen age )... notice that was singular and not plural. I did certainly enjoy mine when I was a kid but my family couldn't afford additional pieces at that time. When I got into my early teens, a box of balsa was relatively cheap and I could save up for a model that I may have been interested in. At that time, my Dad had the radio equipment. I didn't get my first radio until my mid-teens, a Hi-Tech Prism 7 since I also had developed an interest in helicopters.

My first airplane kit I bought ( beyond the hand gliders I had when young )... was the Sig Kadet... I think it was a Mark II like they sell now if I recall correctly. The second one, that I still have because it never saw the air, is the Sig Kobra kit that I have pics on on my website in the RC-> My Hanger page, the last two pics on that page. My next purchase was a SuperTigre .25-.27 engine ( or something close to that size ). While it was a small engine on the lower end of the recommended ones for the Kadet, it was a hot rodded version and was just fine for learning on. It also was going to fit the Kobra which I was just starting to put together... and it also fit the Cricket heli that I had my eye on and later purchased. Speaking of the Cricket, I did hover it some but never got further into training on it. I also didn't have a gyro since they were outside the scope of most people in the mid to late 70's.

After that point, all my airplanes were ARF's including my first warbird, a World Models P51D. I've only bought one foamy ARF, the FMS P51D with a 50 something inch wingspan, it's probably their 2nd or 3rd revision of that model. While it is the airplane I did my own first take-off and landings with ( all on my own, I'd flown previously but not from take off to the landing ), it is also the reason I'll never buy that type of larger sized foam ARF again. Even though I was still very inexperienced at that time, I could "feel" it wiggle around in the air.

RandyDSok

Hey Randy, I was having a close look at this photo you took.
Is that what I think it is? (A horizontal vortex)?

Probably just a scud cloud... also referred to a tag cloud... just a small wisp of a cloud that is often seen around convective storms. While I do have a couple of shots of a storm cell that did at some point produces a funnel... I have no shots of a funnel itself. I'm uncertain if the funnel is present ( and not seen ) at the time of my shot or if it came just moments later. I was unable to keep up with the storm after it had passed over me.

Storm-E-Norman_DSC_0210-2016-05-09_On1-scaled_wm.jpg

Rob Lancaster

Hi everyone, well this is my second weakness:pirate:. Model railroading:onthego: Remember those Lionel trains back in the 50's, that was me until I went in the army as a 18 year. My dad got me involved when I was 5 years old and every year we went to the Lionel Headquarters every Christmas in Mid town Manhattan, NYC. Lost interest while in South Vietnam, think you can understate why. So my parents donated the hold layout about $500.00 in 1960's prices then to a children hospital. Worth over $20,000.00 today, but all is good. It was while station in West Germany that I got into model airplanes hot and heavy. It was a perfect fit since I was already in a helicopter unit for the last 4 years. Belong to a American German club and met some of the nicest folks in the world. AN army pilot took me under his wing and taught me how to fly. Back then there were no foam kits and all planes were made of balsa with small non electric engines. No S.A.F.E. , gyros or any other system available. Stay with that until returning to the states in 1975, we were station at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn New York. So I had all these large model airplanes in our base housing and no where to really store them:nightmare:. Found a fellow soldier who was going to be station in Europe, so I sold everything to him. He was happy and I also was happy with a pocket full of money:peaceful:. My brother in law who was a NYPD officer got me interested back in model trains. And the rest is history since then. Every year got more involved in the hobby to the point started scratch building everything except the trains. Built a model train layout in every place we were station. Several years ago year 2000, in our present home built a layout that filled the garage minus space for the washer and dryer. That year hosted a model railroad tour group that 40 people visited my home. These are just a few photos of another one that's 2.5' x 8' double deck layout that been working on for past 15 years. Total weight is about 200 lbs:help:. 95% of the buildings are made by hand with complete detail interiors with both inside and outside lighting. There are over 50 vehicles and at least 500 hand painted people ( use a set of jeweler glasses for this fun task). All trains are run by digital command control which means they have a small decoder receiver in the engines. Thus allowing you to run as many as 50 trains on a layout at one time. Each one set at it's own speed. Similar to 2.4 Ghz for model aircraft, remember the old days in the hobby when you were flying on 27 or 72 mhz with a small flag? Well model trains still run on DC but have to have block control to rule more than one train. I would say this layout is worth about $5,000.00 with all the time, equipment invested. So what I did two years ago is gave this completed layout to my grandson for Christmas:semi-twins: And NOW besides enjoying the fruits of model aviation again hand building two more train layouts for my other grandsons:onthego: Best regards, Jim

Yes, yes! I had a electric train set when I was a wee lad. No where as high tec as this setup. This is cool!

Rob Lancaster

Randy I forgot to ask yah, is there such a thing as a dew shield for these Canons?
I tried to shoot Polaris a couple of nights ago and within 15 minutes or so, the lens was fogged over. I had the whole camera in a plastic bag with the lens sticking out a hole, but the dew is a major problem. on the lens.
I have a couple of those heater bands that I use on my li'll scope's eye piece and objective lens. But are there dew shields available for such camera situations?

RandyDSok

But are there dew shields available for such camera situations?

Well... yes there are options available. Lens shades are made for most camera lens models and work well if they are long enough to block any dew falling out of the sky as the evening progresses. These however do not help in the case of condensation where the lens is of a different temperature than the surrounding air and because of that, condensation forms directly on the lens itself. Letting the lens acclimate to the temp should help avoid condensation as well as using a heat source like the bands you mention. Wide angle lenses can have issues with lens shades in some cases if the shade interferes with the view through the lens. You can also make a simple lens shade using just about anything you can make a tube out of like a piece of cardboard that you simply wrap around the lens and hold it on with rubber bands in the simplest setup I can think of.

If the heater bands you have are the right size, there is nothing stopping you from using them as well. These are likely more available through telescope retailers but since they are made to cover everything from eye pieces, pointer scopes up to large telescope tubes, so should also cover the sizes needed for a camera lens since these are basically the same as any telescope part also. Of course the heat bands do require an additional power source. Continuing with the DYI approach, make the carboard tube dew shield, get some of those chemically activated hand warmers and wrap them around the tube. While it is a bit of, shall I say southern engineering, they work fine.

Another method that helps to cover both situations, dew and condensation... A simple fan pointed at the lens. Something like a computer fan works well and can be powered with the same 12v power source ( some fans are 5v but the 12v is more common ) you'd use for a commercial heater band. You would not want the fan attached to the camera or tripod so you can avoid any shaking from a slightly out of balance fan could induce in the shot.

About the only thing we can do about mother nature... is just to try and avoid taking pics when the relative humidity and dew points affects if dew will happen or not. That is tougher when you live in the middle of a temperate ocean area than say where I live. I also try to avoid using heat. Where there is heat, you can have heat waves that can also affect your apparent focus. Higher winds also affect us, air moves in packets and higher winds move more packets in front of our cameras and telescopes. Higher winds aren't likely to be as much of an influence as the heat waves, but still must be considered.

Rob Lancaster

Ok, I'm going to look for some thin plastic to make a custom dew shield. Cool! Another project. Between that and a heater strap it should work fine. Again tonight, it's fairly clear, but the dew is still making the gutters drip.

The summit of the Stairway To Heaven was very clear days ago when I snapped this photo. There were paragliders up there earlier that day. With the updraft on the windward side of the steep Koolaus, up they go..... Enjoy folks...........

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    593.7 KB · Views: 3

murankar

Staff member
Just had a huge change in my life last week. My family lost a great man. My Uncle passed about 2 weeks ago and last Thursday was to wake and Friday was the burial. I also had 3 conversations at work last [I think] Wednesday [possible Thursday] about a permanent position at Cleveland Clinic (IT department). The pay went up substantially but so did the job title. The down side to all of this is I had to go back to Second shift time frame. octothorp doinItForTheMoney lol. There is a lot more to it than money like my son who needs specialized medical tests and such. My next few moths will be tied up in studying for ITIL 4.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just had a huge change in my life last week. My family lost a great man. My Uncle passed about 2 weeks ago and last Thursday was to wake and Friday was the burial. I also had 3 conversations at work last [I think] Wednesday [possible Thursday] about a permanent position at Cleveland Clinic (IT department). The pay went up substantially but so did the job title. The down side to all of this is I had to go back to Second shift time frame. octothorp doinItForTheMoney lol. There is a lot more to it than money like my son who needs specialized medical tests and such. My next few moths will be tied up in studying for ITIL 4.
I'm so sorry for your uncle's passing...my condolence URI. I wish you the best in your new title. You're so right about it's not all about the money but it's very helpful to have extra for situations like your son. Good luck on future progress URI...you deserve it.

Top Bottom