Tony's (Blackwarriors) Video diary

Tony

Staff member
It does make it more stable, IF, you have a stable hand. It also makes it QUICKER! And at first the sound is very intimidating.

It does make it more stable, IF, you have a stable hand. It also makes it QUICKER! And at first the sound is very intimidating.

the LAST thing i want at the mo Tony is QUICKER....lol, stability Yes...and those blade going a million miles and hour, sorry Kilometres an hour lol would scare the CR&P out of me at the moment...

but hey guys, thanks for the scary suggestion...lol

wolfman76

I gotcha my friend... Oh yeah and you probably noticed in video I didn't hit iu either... lol I knew it would be ok I just wanted to hover in normal mode and be comfortable with thst first

this is an FPV of one of the field vids, its the one with the pirouettes, quick view of the Pond too... not bad for a first attempt..

need some advice on the vibrations though from the heli...

i suggest you stop the video after i land as i forgot to turn off the camera...lol

- - - Updated - - -

I gotcha my friend... Oh yeah and you probably noticed in video I didn't hit iu either... lol I knew it would be ok I just wanted to hover in normal mode and be comfortable with thst first

same here mate, stick within your capabilities....lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
The vibes, for being on a helicopter, were actually not that bad. But, next time, strap it down even tighter and it will help. Might need to, depending on the type of camera, open it up and put a little hot glue on the lens to keep it from moving. Great video though.

Derek

Awesome videos buddy! Very nice!

Going to IU1 will do exactly as what has been said....more stable but also quicker to react to the stick inputs. There's no rush but when you feel that you want to try the Idle Up, maybe just set your Idle Up curve for 10-15% more than your Normal Mode curve. I think I remember you saying that your throttle curve, right now is 60 or 65 from mid stick and up. So, make your Idle Up curve 75,75,75,75,75 or even 80,80,80,80,80. This slight change will gradually get your use to the higher headspeeds.

For me anymore, I just use the Normal Mode to get the helicopter off the ground and then I do my Sport flying in Idle Up 1 and any mild 3D in Idle Up 2.

Nonetheless, you've improved greatly over the past few weeks. Congratulations!!!

The vibes, for being on a helicopter, were actually not that bad. But, next time, strap it down even tighter and it will help. Might need to, depending on the type of camera, open it up and put a little hot glue on the lens to keep it from moving. Great video though.

Thanks Tony, the camera is a Möbius action cam. I only had one cable tie left in my toolbox on site, so next time I'll strap it down tighter... I'll take it to bits now and see if anything is loose..

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome videos buddy! Very nice!

Going to IU1 will do exactly as what has been said....more stable but also quicker to react to the stick inputs. There's no rush but when you feel that you want to try the Idle Up, maybe just set your Idle Up curve for 10-15% more than your Normal Mode curve. I think I remember you saying that your throttle curve, right now is 60 or 65 from mid stick and up. So, make your Idle Up curve 75,75,75,75,75 or even 80,80,80,80,80. This slight change will gradually get your use to the higher headspeeds.

For me anymore, I just use the Normal Mode to get the helicopter off the ground and then I do my Sport flying in Idle Up 1 and any mild 3D in Idle Up 2.

Nonetheless, you've improved greatly over the past few weeks. Congratulations!!!

Thanks Derek, I think I can cope with the higher headspeed, what I'd be worried about is if I forgot about the negative pitch below mid stick and I slammed it into the ground.... Lol

It's certainly much easier to fly from when it was flybar man... I actually left go of the cyclic at one point, could never do that before.... It's awesome....

- - - Updated - - -

As I won't be doing any 3D for a while, is it feasible to have idle up throttle at say 75's or 80's but keep pitch curve as normal mode?

Just so I can get used to the higher flight speeds and I'm presuming more responsive cyclic, then gradually increase throttle curve a bit at a time!! Then eventually have linear pitch

Last edited:

Derek

of course it's feasible...it's your helicopter. Fly it how you want it. Go ahead an set the Idle up 1 so that you have a flat 75-80% throttle curve and then change the Idle Up 1 pitch curve to whatever you have for Normal Mode. Since you aren't interested in 3D flying, don't think of the Idle Up switch as "3D only". Lets just think of it as a "Flight Mode" switch....this will just give you a bit more RPM and still have the same pitch.

No worries!!!

What are your Dual Rates and Expo's set to for your cyclic and rudder?

of course it's feasible...it's your helicopter. Fly it how you want it. Go ahead an set the Idle up 1 so that you have a flat 75-80% throttle curve and then change the Idle Up 1 pitch curve to whatever you have for Normal Mode. Since you aren't interested in 3D flying, don't think of the Idle Up switch as "3D only". Lets just think of it as a "Flight Mode" switch....this will just give you a bit more RPM and still have the same pitch.

No worries!!!

What are your Dual Rates and Expo's set to for your cyclic and rudder?

Excellent I'll change that now then

Dual is Aile 70%, Elev is 70%, Rudd is 100%
Expo is 20, 20, INH

Derek

Cool! With those Dual Rates, there shouldn't be much of a surprise when you flip the switch. Just spool it up, come off the ground and into a controlled and comfy hover (preferably with little wind and a bit of altitude, for the first time). Don't be surprised if you get a bit of tail wag because the higher the headspeed, the less gyro gain you will need. If you do get a bit of wag, just lower the gain by 5% increments until the gain is gone...shouldn't be much different, but there will be a difference.

Just take it easy at first with some altitude, listen to the change in RPM, feel the difference in stability, and have fun with it. If the change in RPM or sound is too much for you, don't be afraid to go back to Normal Mode flying.

and now the journey home, this is a high speed drive for all you MX5 lovers.... dont say anything but i did top 90MPH at one point....lol

- - - Updated - - -

Cool! With those Dual Rates, there shouldn't be much of a surprise when you flip the switch. Just spool it up, come off the ground and into a controlled and comfy hover (preferably with little wind and a bit of altitude, for the first time). Don't be surprised if you get a bit of tail wag because the higher the headspeed, the less gyro gain you will need. If you do get a bit of wag, just lower the gain by 5% increments until the gain is gone...shouldn't be much different, but there will be a difference.

Just take it easy at first with some altitude, listen to the change in RPM, feel the difference in stability, and have fun with it. If the change in RPM or sound is too much for you, don't be afraid to go back to Normal Mode flying.

thanks Derek, ill definately give that a go later on, and video it just in case something goes wrong.... haha

another flight video guys, ive done a couple of attempts at stall turns, not quite there yet, some nose in flying.... dont know what the issue is with this...lmao

- - - Updated - - -

and this is the same flight viewed from the Mobius on the Heli

hey guys, check this out, short clip off the end of one of my vids to show the stability of this heli.... awesome, no stick input at all

you guys probably do this all the time.... lol, very new for me.. its already saved my heli twice when i lost orientation, just gave it full throttle and left go of cyclic...cant believe what ive been missing out on

carry on with my video diary, today after fixing my Piro issues (thanks Lee), i decided to try them in Idle Up, so this is a continuation of the diary with some IU and Piros

scary for me, the heli doesnt seem as stable in IU as it does in normal flight !!!!

stokke

Looking good, Tony - keep it up! Btw, did you fly behind yourself (around yourself) in one of the previous videos (post 34)? If that is the case, I will strongly advise against doing so for safety sake :)

Looking good, Tony - keep it up! Btw, did you fly behind yourself (around yourself) in one of the previous videos (post 34)? If that is the case, I will strongly advise against doing so for safety sake :)

Yes I did Marius, I recall that, I was crapping myself..lol, it wasn't intentional, I was just going too fast to correct it. I won't be doing that again.. Lol, thanks for pointing that out though, just shows you take notice and nice to know any safety issues will be posted... Thanks for that..

I've just watched that again, I recall it banking to the left as it came towards me, took more than a couple of seconds to react on orientation hence it going behind me....

Definitely need loads more practice on orientation skills..lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom